What's new

Warner Archive Press Release: Romance on the High Seas (1948) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 1.06.45 PM.png

ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS (1948)
Run Time 99:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Vintage Musical Short "Lets Sing a Song from the Movies"; Classic Cartoon "Hare Splitter"; Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Bon voyage! Georgia Garrett’s singing career may not be going anywhere, but she is. She’s on a cruise, sailing under the name Mrs. Elvira Kent while the real Elvira secretly stays home to spy on her presumably philandering hubby. Meanwhile, the husband hires a spy to snoop on his supposedly voyaging wife. Doris Day makes her maiden film voyage, debuting as Georgia in a colorful bauble afloat on romantic seas. The studio surrounds the sunny overnight screen sensation with top talent: Michael Curtiz directs, the Epstein brothers provide the script, Busby Berkeley guides musical numbers, Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn create the tunes, and costars include Oscar Levant and Jack Carson. “It’s Magic,” Day sings. Yes, it is.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Curtiz, Techicolor and Day makes this sound interesting. I haven't seen it. Thank goodness Warner kept their 3-strip Technicolor negatives.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Nice to see that The Glass Bottom Boat must have sold well enough that WAC decided to ramp up their Doris Day releases, as at about one year, three months, this has been the shortest period of time between WAC releases of Doris Day films! I had my hesitations about buying Glass Bottom Boat at full price, but, if this is the result, it's worth it!!! I'm definitely in for this one!!!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Janis Paige seemed doomed to be overshadowed by Doris Day from the start. Although she was the top billed leading lady in Romance In The High Seas, It was newcomer Day who stole the movie. Several years later, Paige had a great success on Broadway in The Pajama Game but when it came time to do the movie, everyone in the original cast got to be in the movie except Paige. She was replaced by Doris Day. Still, there were no hard feelings and she happily accepted a supporting role in Please Don't Eat The Daisies starring Day several years later.

Mark VH

Second Unit
I remember watching and really enjoying this one on DVD back when the Doris Day box set came out. Probably not something I'd upgrade but glad to know it's getting a spit-shine.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Seems someone is pissed off when I gave his post a thumbs down so he returned the favor by give me five thumbs down in a row. Gotta love it :biggrin: Keep 'em coming, dude. I want my reaction score to surpass my message count. :)

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Seems someone is pissed off when I gave his post a thumbs down so he returned the favor by give me five thumbs down in a row. Gotta love it :biggrin: Keep 'em coming, dude. I want my reaction score to surpass my message count. :)
Giving somebody a "dislike/thumbs down" doesn't even affect your reaction score so it's a futile act by that member.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
This likes/dislikes thing simply doesn't interest me as i don't do Facebook, Twitter and all the other 'social media' nonsense.

Meanwhile back to this thread. I hope this excellent news is followed by release of the two Astaire+Vera Ellen musicals.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
And another vote for The Pajama Game. I am however constantly astonished whenever I take another look at just how good the transfer is on my old double-sided DVD --- TV format one side, widescreen the other!
I'd also love a Blu ray double feature of the great Doris Day family musicals 'On Moonlight Bay' and 'By the Light of the Silvery Moon'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tourist 1962
Recent bookmarks