What's new

Warner Archive Press Release: Rachel and the Stranger (1948) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

New 2020 1080p HD master from 4K scan of original nitrate elements!
RACHEL AND THE STRANGER (1948)
Run Time 93:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs MONO – English, DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 – English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Extra Content: Theatrical Trailer (SD)
William Holden, Loretta Young and Robert Mitchum are the powerhouse performers in this great Western classic that The New York Times hailed as “excellent moviemaking.”
Splendidly depicting the untamed frontier of the 1820s, the film tells the impassioned story of Big Davey Harvey (Holden), a stoic backwoodsman who “buys” and marries a bondswoman, Rachel (Young), to care for and educate his motherless son. Neither the father nor son...

Continue reading...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 4.01.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 4.01.21 PM.png
    1,001.9 KB · Views: 316
Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is fantastic news! one of my favorite films, and I never knew there was additional footage. Can't wait.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I'm intrigued by the fact that this is the uncut version of the film.

I'm so excited as one of my holy grails has finally made it to Blu-ray.

This is fantastic news! one of my favorite films, and I never knew there was additional footage. Can't wait.
At 93 minutes in all the cuts I've ever seen it in, I too was unaware that 15 minutes had been excised somewhere along the way! Does anyone have any info on just what was originally cut and now will be restored to this new WAC presentation?

Honestly, with all of these great announcements in one month, this is the best set of WAC films yet as far as my film loving heart is concerned...and the worst ever as far as my wallet is concerned, ha, ha...already ravaged by TT, Criterion, Film Movement and KL...

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Just posted on YouTube by Warner Archive.

Wow, just before Robert Mitchum stops singing, shadows open up, details sharpen and there's a beautiful full greyscale:

Same beautiful quality here with a fairly short, softer section in the middle:

And the lyrics for Mitchum's songs by Waldo Salt too!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Essential viewing: a New 2020 1080p HD master from 4K scan of original nitrate elements! with restored footage too. Sounds like an absolutely perfect disc and with Robert Mitchum as well!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Essential viewing: a New 2020 1080p HD master from 4K scan of original nitrate elements! with restored footage too. Sounds like an absolutely perfect disc and with Robert Mitchum as well!
Robert Mitchum kind of makes "Rachel and the Stranger" much more entertaining and enjoyable. I love his reaction when he first sees Rachel and his interaction with Holden.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Mitchum kind of makes "Rachel and the Stranger" much more entertaining and enjoyable. I love his reaction when he first sees Rachel and his interaction with Holden.
I once saw this film in a re-run house, and afterwards the girl I was with said she had never realised Robert Mitchum had bandy legs! I haven't seen this film for a long time so that's one thing I'm going to be looking for! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I once saw this film in a re-run house, and afterwards the girl I was with said she had never realised Robert Mitchum had bandy legs! I haven't seen this film for a long time so that's one thing I'm going to be looking for! :)
What are bandy legs? Do you mean bowlegged?

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I'm intrigued by the fact that this is the uncut version of the film.
No wonder Warner Archive's Rachel and the Stranger excerpts on YouTube look so great:

From Warner's George Feltenstein:
"IT IS the lost long version! Complete and quite gorgeous. It is a combination of a 4K scan of the original nitrate camera negative (which was cut, and had the main titles re-filmed to remove writer Waldo Salt’s credit and contributions) and a 4K scan of an uncut British nitrate negative (which has the original full titles, and the fourteen minutes of missing footage)."
https://cinesavant.com/

Last edited:

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Never heard of it but it sounds interesting based on my tastes. This might be a blind buy or a 4 for 44 sale title if I can wait that long.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No wonder Warner Archive's Rachel and the Stranger excerpts on YouTube look so great:

From Warner's George Feltenstein:
"IT IS the lost long version! Complete and quite gorgeous. It is a combination of a 4K scan of the original nitrate camera negative (which was cut, and had the main titles re-filmed to remove writer Waldo Salt’s credit and contributions) and a 4K scan of an uncut British nitrate negative (which has the original full titles, and the fourteen minutes of missing footage)."
https://cinesavant.com/
Perhaps there is a sliver of hope for "The Big Sky" another RKO movie that has missing footage of about 19 minutes. Hell, I'll take a good looking Blu-ray of the 122 minute version.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Perhaps there is a sliver of hope for "The Big Sky" another RKO movie that has missing footage of about 19 minutes. Hell, I'll take a good looking Blu-ray of the 122 minute version.

Aeons ago, I was told that the fine grains shipped to the UK were generally the best surviving, longest versions, so you may have a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks