What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
1610441273224.png

NEW 2020 1080p HD master from 4K scan of Original Technicolor Negatives!

ON MOONLIGHT BAY (1951)
Run Time 95:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs MONO - English, DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: 'Let's Sing a Song About the Moonlight' vintage short; Classic Cartoon 'A Hound for Trouble';
Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Not since Judy met the boy next door in St. Louis has there been a heaping of tuneful, romantic Midwestern American life like this! Doris Day and Gordon MacRae team for spoonin’, croonin’ and swoonin’ On Moonlight Bay, based on Booth Tarkington’s Penrod stories. “Try not to walk like a first baseman,” Mama (Rosemary DeCamp) tells tomboy Marjorie (Day) as she prepares to date college man Bill (MacRae). The advice takes. The lovebirds hear wedding bells ahead, just as soon as Bill gets his sheepskin. But World War I rages “over there.” And Papa (Leon Ames) rages at home after a flap with his prospective son-in-law. Will harmony return to this Hoosier home? Surely Day and MacRae will make musical harmony. And On Moonlight Bay will have you sailing along.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I guess Romance On The High Seas must have sold well enough for Warners to bring us more Doris Day titles in 2021: The Pajama Game, My Dream Is Yours, Young Man With A Horn, On Moonlight Bay. Let's hope this batch sells well too so we can get It's A Great Feeling, Tea For Two, West Point Story, Lullaby Of Broadway, I'll See You In My Dreams, April In Paris, By The Light Of The Silvery Moon and Lucky Me!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
How odd that this isn't a double release with 'By the Light of the Silvery Moon'.
Still, one's better than none.
Is there a release date?
AFIAK the original USA 6 DVD set those movies were in was
1610510809166.png

6 individual disks.
1610511146530.png

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A couple of the DVDs in that set went bad on me. That's why I previously purchased My Dream Is Yours at iTunes because my DVD went sour. So did Romance on the High Seas, but the Blu-ray came out just about the time I discovered the disc rot on the DVD.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
I found the DVD of "On Moonlight Bay" unwatchable. I'm not an expert in this regard, but it appeared to be layer fade, as the color temperature kept changing inside the image, appearing in the center and moving outwards intermittently during the film. I know layer fade isn't supposed to happen with three-strip Technicolor. It was almost as if the color was breathing, so I guess it could also be the three layers were out of wack, but it wasn't fringing as much as the color temperature would change in a kind of flicker. I guess you could ignore it, but it was very irritating, especially considering that otherwise the color was very beautiful. This is one of the first films I ever saw at the age of three--after "Pinocchio" & "A Star is Born". I'm so looking forward to the Blu-Ray.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
A couple of the DVDs in that set went bad on me. That's why I previously purchased My Dream Is Yours at iTunes because my DVD went sour. So did Romance on the High Seas, but the Blu-ray came out just about the time I discovered the disc rot on the DVD.
I had the same problem with I'll See You in My Dreams. At first I thought, what the hell did I do wrong?

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sure thing. If you're ever up the Macedon Ranges way, come and say hi and have a bit of lunch with some very good espresso coffee .. I roast my own bean,s usually a blend of three different South Americans, with a Cuban bean if they're in stock.. Just an email to [email protected] will do the trick.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I found the DVD of "On Moonlight Bay" unwatchable. I'm not an expert in this regard, but it appeared to be layer fade, as the color temperature kept changing inside the image, appearing in the center and moving outwards intermittently during the film. I know layer fade isn't supposed to happen with three-strip Technicolor. It was almost as if the color was breathing, so I guess it could also be the three layers were out of wack, but it wasn't fringing as much as the color temperature would change in a kind of flicker. I guess you could ignore it, but it was very irritating, especially considering that otherwise the color was very beautiful. This is one of the first films I ever saw at the age of three--after "Pinocchio" & "A Star is Born". I'm so looking forward to the Blu-Ray.
I remember the DVD being watchable, but very uneven, with a very soft image and some registration issues. The amount of process shots (i.e. front projection) in the film didn't help. I'm confident WAC will find find a way to present this properly. Certainly better than Universal did with Hitchcock's remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much which is a very poor representation on blu-ray of that film should look like.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
I remember the DVD being watchable, but very uneven, with a very soft image and some registration issues. The amount of process shots (i.e. front projection) in the film didn't help. I'm confident WAC will find find a way to present this properly. Certainly better than Universal did with Hitchcock's remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much which is a very poor representation on blu-ray of that film should look like.
Beyond the softness, there was also that shimmer, that ebbed and flowed, and changed colors, and combined with the registration errors to make it unwatchable for me. We all have different perspectives and areas of comfort when it comes to image quality. I threw away the disc long ago. But I expect the Blu-Ray to be perfect, or close to it, at any rate. I can hardly wait, as this was a favorite film when I was a child. I love the houses and the street. Everything is so lush and idyllic. Doris Day is ok too. Then there's that male singer with her, who looks better wearing a straw hat and brandishing a pitchfork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rabidcatfan