1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Moonfleet (1955) (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Message #1 of 11 Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    67185086_10157527581381563_2922992752671064064_o.

NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER!

MOONFLEET (1955)
    Run Time 87:00
    Subtitles English SDH
    Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
    Aspect Ratio 2.55:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
    Product Color COLOR
    Disc Configuration BD 50
    Includes Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Adventure and intrigue await all ye who venture into the small and sinister village of Moonfleet on the windswept moors of Dorsetshire. Particularly as directed by master-of-menace Fritz Lang, this colorful tale of a young boy’s experiences among some really bad companions enthralls in the tradition of Kidnapped and Treasure Island.

Here, young John Mohune (Jon Whiteley) arrives at his ancestral estate, now owned by the dashing, and mysterious Jeremy Fox (Stewart Granger). Out of love for the boy’s mother, but against his better judgment, Fox grudgingly allows John to stay. He soon becomes attached to the boy, but his devotion is tested when John discovers a hidden smugglers’ lair beneath the village graveyard and learns a shocking secret that could cost both him and Fox their lives.

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Flashgear, Jack K, RMajidi and 8 others like this.
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  3. richardburton84

richardburton84 Stunt Coordinator

Jack
    Wow, was not expecting this one. It’s not one of Lang’s best films, but it does have a few things to recommend itself such as some moody cinematography by Robert Planck and a brilliant score by the ever reliable Miklós Rózsa. It’s shame we’ll probably never get to see Lang’s original ending.

Douglas R, PMF and bubuwest like this.
  4. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I saw this as a child (more than once) on the big screen and one shot in particular scared the hell out of me (as it scared Jon Whiteley). I fell in love with Lindfors raven-black hair and, of course, there's Joan Greenwood's voice...
    This is a favorite of mine.

RMajidi, PMF and Timothy Bodzioney like this.
  5. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    I wasn't expecting this either. I saw this a few times in the 70's on purplish 16mm scope prints in the steamy East Village basements of various friends. I would have loved seeing this as a child, as many of the images evoke the romantic dark phantasmagorica of such poems as "The Highwayman" which we had to memorize in the 2nd grade, in particular the image of a raven-haired woman tying her hair into a heartfelt plait waiting for the lover who has gone ghostly, riding on the wind.

Visually, the film is fairly amazing to look at, with images that seem full-blow out of the wildest aspects of Romantic painting and myth. It will be great to finally see this film in proper color. As I recall, Lang considered it a failure, as he was brought in just before shooting began, and had no real input into the script, which is fairly pedestrian, but oh, the beauty he brings with his compositions and blocking, each image not merely breathtaking, but filled with resonances that tell a much better and deeper story.

Jack K, RMajidi, Brent Reid and 2 others like this.
  6. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Wow! Warners is on a roll. This should look stunning in HD.

7. Message #7 of 11 Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Well I'm an ungrateful swine. I'd just love some swashbucklers from the Archive, but I'm not buying this. Stewart Granger in Scaramouche is always on the top of my Warner wants lists, & I'd love The Prisoner Of Zenda with Granger & a great turn from James Mason as Rupert of Hentzau...but Moonfleet? Na. I saw it on TV a few years ago & found it very lacklustre, in fact I don't think I made it to the end. But Warner, please don't take this personally, & swashbucklers I'd buy in a heartbeat are the two mentioned, plus: The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939), The Three Musketeers (1948) - & the 1935 version with that great Max Steiner score - Ivanhoe (1952), The Master of Ballantrae (1953), Knights Of The Round Table (1953), & probably quite a few more.

...the other releases look great, & I see they've just announced JEZEBEL (1938) A 4K SCAN OF ORIGINAL NITRATE ELEMENTS! That could be worth buying for the picture alone, it could be silver perfection.

8. RMajidi

RMajidi Screenwriter

Ramin
    This and Jamaica Inn have a similar feel and tone for me and I love them both, even though some dismiss them as B-grade fare by their great directors.

In both films, there’s a palpable sense of danger, beautiful photography, gorgeous music and featuring courageous leading characters with misplaced trust, in over their heads.

The young’un here put in a great performance.

I bought the Warner Moonfleet DVD from France a few years ago, as it wasn’t available elsewhere. This is a wishlist Blu, so I’ll be buying this, Jezebel, The Wagon Master, The Jetsons and The Witches.

Flashgear, bujaki and ahollis like this.
  9. bugsy-pal

bugsy-pal Stunt Coordinator

Paul
    I have yet to watch this, although I have the Warner Archive DVD. It's funny - I have a book from the 1980's by John Kobal of the top 100 movies as rated by a selection of prominent film critics, and Moonfleet comes in at no. 96.

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

11. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I had this on Laserdisc. Here's my checklist:
    Stewart Granger, an underrated actor: check
    Swashbuckler: check
    Gothic atmosphere and setting: check

I'm in :)

ahollis and Timothy Bodzioney like this.