What's new

Warner Archive Press Release: Mister Roberts (1955) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
What a Great Cast ! :) These are Actors !
Mister Roberts.jpg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
One of three remaining Warner "snapper case" DVDs I bought long ago I can finally retire! (that just leaves "Arsenic And Old Lace" and "Butterfield 8")

add the Dr. Jekyll double feature March / Tracy to that, I know what you are talking about

Reactions: PMF

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Day one purchase for me - I adore this movie.

I was wondering if they'll fix the opening credits - I seem to remember what looked on the DVD like a stock footage shot at the beginning with boats on the water, that was obviously shot in academy ratio and stretched to fit the widescreen format. Or is my memory failing me?

If it was part of the original credit sequence, I guess it should be left as is...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
While just a small role in the movie, the beautiful Betsy Palmer is yet another reason to be excited about this one (Haven't seen her mentioned yet). She's a big part of why I've spent many an hour watching black & white game shows on YouTube.
Everytime I think of Betsy Palmer, I think of her losing her head in a certain film that started a horror franchise.;)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
One of the very few films about the forces in WW2 that doesn't have any fighting in it. The only other one I can think of is The Way To The Stars (1945), I'm sure there's a few more.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
One of the very few films about the forces in WW2 that doesn't have any fighting in it. The only other one I can think of is The Way To The Stars (1945), I'm sure there's a few more.
Glen Ford made one. Was it “Don’t Go Near the Water.” What was the one where Marlon Brando payed a Japanese?

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Happy about this, but I don't expect the fact that it was photographed in WarnerColor to expect anything exceptional.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo

They're about soldiers going through training and not yet deployed overseas (Unlike Mister Roberts, where they're in a warzone, albeit a "boring" distance behind it for the sailors aboard ship), but I immediately thought of two favorites of mine.

'Keep Your Powder Dry' (1945) which is a drama about a group of WACs going through basic and then officer training, and 'See Here, Private Hargrove' (1944) which was a comedy about a bad luck private that keeps running into trouble during training despite good intentions.

Before returning the thread to discussing the upcoming release of Mister Roberts on Blu-Ray, I can't resist adding that I'd love to see both of these hit Blu-Ray someday. Hopefully they're on Warner Archive's radar...

Last edited:

SteveJKo

Second Unit
My copy of the DVD has been missing for several years. I was about to give in and buy another copy, so this upgrade is VERY welcome news.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks