What's new

Warner Archive Press Release: Kentucky Kernels (1934) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
2020-08-18_14-23-19.png

NEW 2020 1080p master from 4K scan of original nitrate camera negative!
KENTUCKY KERNELS (1934)
Run Time 75:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 25
BONUS CONTENT: Vintage 1934 cartoons BUDDY’S CIRCUS (HD), Popeye in THE DANCE CONTEST (HD), Popeye in SOCK-A-BYE BABY (HD)

Bert Wheeler and Robert Woolsey team up with Our Gang star “Spanky” McFarland in this riotous slapstick comedy, from director George Stevens. Out-of-work vaudevillians Willie (Wheeler) and Elmer (Woolsey) somehow become Spanky’s guardians and think they’ve come into a fortune when Spanky inherits a farm in Kentucky. What they don’t know is that the farm sits directly in the line of fire in a feud between the Milfords and the Wakefields. Now, as Willie falls in love with the beautiful Gloria Wakefield (Mary Carlisle) and the pair manage to arrange a truce, young Spanky reignites the war between the two families. It all adds up to “a good vehicle for the team with a great slapstick finale” (Leonard Maltin’s Movie Guide).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

As an Amazon Associate Home Theater Forum will earn from qualifying purchases.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
WAC Business Strategy
Let's release titles no one requests on Blu-ray and put the more desirable ones in MOD DVDR !!!
:P

There are Wheeler and Woolsey fans (some actually here at the HTF) who will be delighted by this news. They may not be as vocal as the Norma Shearer brigade but surely they're entitled to their favorites too. What I love about Warners is how they keep surprising us with these titles out of left field. It may not be to your liking or mine but they are to someone. Inclusiveness and diversity are in, didn't you know? :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There are Wheeler and Woolsey fans (some actually here at the HTF) who will be delighted by this news. They may not be as vocal as the Norma Shearer brigade but surely they're entitled to their favorites too. What I love about Warners is how they keep surprising us with these titles out of left field. It may not be to your liking or mine but they are to someone. Inclusiveness and diversity are in, didn't you know? :)

Very well put.

For every millionth plus post of "why didn't they release this other title instead?" I keep thinking that someone is getting a gem they have been hoping for and probably never thought it would ever see the light of day.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Of course I know but it's just ironic that they release titles that aren't really requested much. It is not only to my liking but to the likings of many who'd rather have some more Bette Davis,Joan Crawford and Clark Gable classics. They are diverse but they have plenty of key titles that are on MOD when they should be Blu Ray, just my humble opinion :D
Yes let's release a gem for the few but not for the many. They also have some Abbott and Costello Films, Laurel and Hardy films, Marx Brother films..
It isnt so much about entitlement other than what people would like to have. Yes some feel the titles should all be to their tastes only, but Im not like that. I just would like to see more key titles like High Sierra etc in HD format..

Last edited:

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Wow! Sometime ago, when discussing WAC's then lack of 1930s releases, I made a comment along the lines of "I can understand the lack of Wheeler and Woolsey but not so much the Marx Bros." LOL! Anyway, I'm not displeased and will pre-order this title. It's been ages since I've seen this film, but I do recall it being one of the better W&W films.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Wheeler & Woolsey and George Stevens and no June Allyson! Of course I'll get this! I haven't seen it in many decades. And it's another transfer from the original camera negative. Did something good come out of Howard Hughes buying the RKO studio and running it to the ground?

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Never seen this one before (or any of the Wheeler and Woolsey films), but I'm willing to give it a shot! And for those of you complaining, let me ask this: how many of you have been asking for any of a number of pre-1954 movies that made their DVD debut through WAC? Because this is the FIRST time that any films from that era that made their DVD debut from WAC have been upgraded to Blu-ray (and from the thirties no less, a decade that seems to have been marked by expensive restorations for WAC, if I've been interpreting RAH's comments correctly)! That alone should make this one worth supporting (and at full price if we want more, not only of Wheeler and Woolsey, but also for movies from that decade, period)!

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Of course I know but it's just ironic that they release titles that aren't really requested much. It is not only to my liking but to the likings of many who'd rather have some more Bette Davis,Joan Crawford and Clark Gable classics. They are diverse but they have plenty of key titles that are on MOD when they should be Blu Ray, just my humble opinion :D
Yes let's release a gem for the few but not for the many. They also have some Abbott and Costello Films, Laurel and Hardy films, Marx Brother films..
It isnt so much about entitlement other than what people would like to have. Yes some feel the titles should all be to their tastes only, but Im not like that. I just would like to see more key titles like High Sierra etc in HD format..

Well, I've gone against the grain my whole life and that goes with my cinematic choices. Given a choice of High Sierra on blu ray or Looking For Love (1964) on blu ray, I'd opt for the Connie Francis! :) If that unlikely event should happen, no doubt you would again protest but I'd be placing my pre-order.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Yes, a very unexpected and nice surprise. And it does have two other things going for it other than Wheeler and Woolsey, Director George Stevens and Spanky McFarland. Kentucky Kernels is one of the few W & W titles I haven't bought on DVD-R yet, so this will be a nice addition and I'm sure it'll look great thanks to the meticulous team at WBMPI.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Wheeler & Woolsey and George Stevens and no June Allyson! Of course I'll get this! I haven't seen it in many decades. And it's another transfer from the original camera negative. Did something good come out of Howard Hughes buying the RKO studio and running it to the ground?
No June Allyson is most certainly a plus!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Completely taken by surprise with this one. Other than Rio Rita and Dixieana, I've never seen another one of their films, so I'll be willing to give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks