What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Jezebel (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER FROM 4K SCAN OF ORIGINAL NITRATE ELEMENTS!

JEZEBEL (1938)
Run Time 104:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Commentary by Film Historian Jeanine Basinger; Featurette "Jezebel: Legend of the South"; Vintage Musical Short "Melody Masters: Jimmy Dorsey and His Orchestra"; Classic Cartoon " Daffy Duck in Hollywood" (HD) ; Rarely-seen promo-teaser "Ramblin 'Round the Hollywood Studio with the Candid Cameraman"; Theatrical Reissue trailer (HD)

While movie fans were abuzz over who might play Scarlett O’Hara in the upcoming Gone with the Wind, Bette Davis got another Southern-belle role – and gave a fiery performance that won the 1938 Best Actress Academy Award®. Davis plays Julie, a New Orleans beauty whose constant attempts to goad fiancé Pres Dillard (Henry Fonda) to jealousy backfire. Angry and disgraced, Pres breaks their engagement and leaves town. Julie endures a year of remorse until Pres comes home – married. Then her vengeance explodes.

Jezebel is also noted for its sumptuous sets and costumes, Fay Bainter’s Oscar®-winning* performance and William Wyler’s vivid direction, highlighted by a horrifying re-creation of a yellow fever epidemic. But the film’s greatest strength is Davis, whose titanic talent has never been better displayed than in Jezebel.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Zowie-e-e-e-e-e--e !!!:banana::dancing-banana-04::banana:

And for those into AMPAS trivia, there are only 10 films in which the winners for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress were from the same production. "Jezebel" was the first to do this, but became the last of these 10 films to makes its way to BD. Finally.:)

The 10 films:
Jezebel (1938) - Bette Davis; Fay Bainter
Gone with the Wind (1939) - Vivien Leigh; Hattie McDaniel
Mrs. Miniver (1942) - Greer Garson; Teresa Wright
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) - Vivien Leigh; Kim Hunter
The Miracle Worker (1962) - Anne Bancroft; Patty Duke
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966) - Elizabeth Taylor; Sandy Dennis
Network (1976) - Faye Dunaway; Beatrice Straight
Moonstruck (1987) - Cher; Olympia Dukakis
The Piano (1993) - Holly Hunter; Anna Paquin
Shakespeare in Love (1998) - Gwyneth Paltrow; Judi Dench

Last edited:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Darn it! I thought I was going to have an easy month on my wallet, but they just had to throw ONE title in (assuming they don't have any re-releases for stuff I haven't gotten yet)! While I've never seen this movie, I'll admit to being curious. Being the third 30s title to come from WAC in a very short period of time helps, too!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
This is also a film where Jack Warner went whole hog and spent lots of money to please his newly returned star. The ballroom scene alone has enough set-ups and spiraling lace dresses against brocaded white backgrounds that it looks like it was made at MGM. A sumptuous feat for the eyes that both belies and complements the passion burning within its lead character. A year ago, I hoped against hope that some of Mr. Wyler's best films would find their way to Blu, and now in the past few months, here are some great ones: THE HEIRESS & JEZEBEL.

There are some absolutely amazing lighting effects in the film, and of course Ms. Davis lifts her chin and completely blots out everything with one nicely appointed glare. As Mr. Harris noted, possibly Ernest Haller's greatest moment, and he photographed many of the great ones, from GONE WITH THE WIND, DARK VICTORY & MILDRED PIERCE to REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE & LILIES OF THE FIELD.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Along with "Footlight Parade", "Gaslight" and "The Thin Man", WAC can count on me to add "Jezebel" as a supportive full-price purchase...and Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for your recent and amazing output of essential classic films.:thumbs-up-smiley::):cool:

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
And that glorious Max Steiner music during the ball scene! The greatest!
The main theme of JEZEBEL, that seems to linger in between major and minor chords to posit both sadness and possibility, and also embraces the polarizing figure of Ms. Davis, may be the best cue Max Steiner ever wrote.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
This is indeed very welcome news!

Also, is the following extra (Rarely-seen promo-teaser "Ramblin 'Round the Hollywood Studio with the Candid Cameraman) new to this release? As far as I can see, it does not appear on the Jezebel DVD menu.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks