What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
1612202573544.png

NEW 2021 1080p HD Master Sourced from 4K scan of Original Nitrate Camera Negative!

ISLE OF THE DEAD (1945)
Run Time 72:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4 X 3
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 25
Special Features: Commentary by Screenwriter/Film Historian Dr. Steve Haberman; Original Theatrical Trailer with Spanish Subtitles

Once you visit the Isle of the Dead, there’s no hope of returning to the land of the living. A small island off the coast of Greece holds a secret so dreadful that once you step onto its soil you must remain there forever. General Pherides (master of horror Boris Karloff) is one such a visitor. Going to the island to honor the grave of his late wife, Pherides discovers that it’s held in the grip of a terrifying plague – a sickness that enters the victim’s mind and drives them insane! Pherides leads the fight against the plague, but then falls prey to it himself. In his delirium, he believes that a woman named Thea (Ellen Drew) is a vrykolaka – a vampire responsible for the deaths. Insanity runs rampant, and grave robbery, premature burial and ghastly vampires are the unspeakable horrors that await on the Isle of the Dead.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited by a moderator:

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
My least favorite of the Val Lewton films--it's too cerebal for me, too metaphorical to be really scary, but it's a day one purchase regardless, especially considering it's from the original nitrate neg, as it's a very beautiful film, and considering every print I have ever seen was dupey beyond belief, it will be nice, and possibly revelatory, to see what the film has to offer visually.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
With this we will be over half-way there (to Blu-rays) with the 9 Lewton films --
Just to add to the rule that no two Lewton fans are alike,
my order of preference for the remaining 4 films are:

I Walked With A Zombie
Bedlam
Ghost Ship
The 7th Victim

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The DVD double features now have one title apiece announced for Blu-ray or already on Blu-ray. It's time for the second features to get released. So far Cat People/Curse of the Cat People is the only DVD that has both films on Blu-ray. And The Seventh Victim is by itself..

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
I'm less into Bedlam than Isle but just to show support for getting the remaining Lewton movies out on Blu-ray, I'll pre-order my copy.
I love "Bedlam". I think ir's a masterpiece. It may be Boris Karloff's most subtle, not to mention frightening performance, because the elegance of his poise and diction belies the malice of his intentions; which aren't really personal, just more money in his pocket for every victim. It's an extraordinarily complex character--the more "likable" he is, the more terrifying--and Karloff rises to the challenge. There's also the production design, which uses elegance and refinement as a means to elevate the horror. Though set in the past, "Bedlam" is completely contemporary, both to the time in which the film was made, and also to our own cultural moment in the 21st Century today.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Lewton! I can't wait for this release and hopefully the rest of the Lewton films. Of the remaining titles my order of preference is

I Walk with a Zombie
Seventh Victim
Bedlam
Ghost Ship

But i enjoy them all . Thank you WBA!!!

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Its really too bad that only 1 of the 2 films on the double features have only gotten releases
These are the ones that remain. If only one or two would get released Id retire the Lewton set !

I Walk with a Zombie
The Seventh Victim - this one is by itself
Bedlam
Ghost Ship

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The Seventh Victim DVD has the documentary - which is why it is the stand alone movie. If it were to be released on Blu-ray Im 100% sure it would be included, if / when Warner decides to release it.

I can only see Warner releasing the Lewtons. It's been long rumored that Criterion has I Walked with a Zombie - if that's the case they've sat on it for quite some time. Who knows, maybe they will announce it in conjunction with WAC's Isle of the Dead this month ((Pure speculation))

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The Seventh Victim DVD has the documentary - which is why it is the stand alone movie. If it were to be released on Blu-ray Im 100% sure it would be included, if / when Warner decides to release it.

I can only see Warner releasing the Lewtons. It's been long rumored that Criterion has I Walked with a Zombie - if that's the case they've sat on it for quite some time. Who knows, maybe they will announce it in conjunction with WAC's Isle of the Dead this month ((Pure speculation))

I have seen NO evidence -- or even the basis of the rumors -- regarding a Criterion interest in IWWAZ. The movie is only 69 minutes long and not a well-remembered (by other than us), unlike CAT PEOPLE. In order to make it palatable for Criterion buyers there would have to be alluring supplements. The DVD did include a commentary, but no one having to do with the film in the 40's is still around to grant interviews that I know of, so we would be getting talking-head/film clip documentaries with historians, which I find largely boring.

Nevertheless, I really hope WAC at the very least brings this out, as it is my second favorite Lewton film after THE BODY SNATCHER.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have seen NO evidence -- or even the basis of the rumors -- regarding a Criterion interest in IWWAZ. The movie is only 69 minutes long and not a well-remembered (by other than us), unlike CAT PEOPLE.
Maybe it's just me but I'd think of I Walked With A Zombie as a more mainstream release for Criterion. At this point, only fans of old movies remember any Lewton production and after Cat People and maybe The Curse Of The Cat People, IWWAZ must be the most well-known.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mblake