What's new

Warner Archive Press Release: House of Wax (1953) (3D Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
51WHPXwEh1L.jpg
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Interestingly, the WBShop description of this release says "SPECIAL FEATURE: 1933 Warner Bros. Feature Mystery of the Wax Museum." Is it safe to assume this is the old version that appeared on the original Blu-Ray release? Although it is odd that they would still be including that, since the film was newly restored and just issued separately by Warner Bros.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Interestingly, the WBShop description of this release says "SPECIAL FEATURE: 1933 Warner Bros. Feature Mystery of the Wax Museum." Is it safe to assume this is the old version that appeared on the original Blu-Ray release? Although it is odd that they would still be including that, since the film was newly restored and just issued separately by Warner Bros.

I think that’s a very safe assumption. They’re just going to reprint the old disc with new packaging. The expense of reauthoring the old disc to remove the older version and then putting it back through the QC/checkdisc/replication process would probably cost more than the profit to be had from the units they will sell.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
It might be wise of them to make clearer that they are reissuing the older version on the HOUSE OF WAX Blu-Ray disc.

For that matter, I see that another listed pre-order is a DVD of REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE. Given the recent Blu-Ray restoration of that title, it might be helpful to indicate which version (golden or full-color) is on the upcoming DVD.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Paramount has distribution in Hondo, was made aware of existence of digital 3D master, declined to release it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I see that House of Wax is sold out at Amazon and Best Buy. I guess 3-D is not dead! Come on Warner, release more of your 1950's 3-D titles. Have the 3-D Film Archive do the 3-D restoration and save a lot of money!

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Update: the Warner Archive edition of House of Wax is back in stock at Amazon. It just arrived at my house on August 5 (I ordered it from Amazon on June 10!).

I can confirm that the version of Mystery of the Wax Museum on the House of Wax Warner Archive disc is indeed the previous transfer, and that the new transfer is light-years better. Most striking differences are that the old transfer has blues in some places, while the new one is accurately two-color, and that the old transfer is very high in contrast which obscures lots of details, while the new one has a beautiful range of shades with full details visible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tourist 1962
Recent bookmarks