What's new

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I wonder why WA has never released the full 1930 version on DVD? I see they are including excerpts on this release...
It's missing the final reel, originally shot in Technicolor. It used to play on TCM.
It creaks somewhat, but it has some merit, including a scorching Varsity Drag number and the absence of June Allyson :D. I wish it had been included as a curio for its historical value.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
I think June Allyson is the only MGM star I ever actually met. She was a sweetie; she came into a department store I was working at in the 80s. Gave me her autograph which I still have. And what was interesting about it, is that I literally had learned her name for the first time in my life just a week before. I was simply home flipping channels and "The Opposite Sex" came on. I watched because I thought it was funny to see a young Joan Collins, and I was a big "Dynasty" fan at the time. Fell in love with Miss June...and there she was, just a few days later.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I think June Allyson is the only MGM star I ever actually met. She was a sweetie; she came into a department store I was working at in the 80s. Gave me her autograph which I still have. And what was interesting about it, is that I literally had learned her name for the first time in my life just a week before. I was simply home flipping channels and "The Opposite Sex" came on. I watched because I thought it was funny to see a young Joan Collins, and I was a big "Dynasty" fan at the time. Fell in love with Miss June...and there she was, just a few days later.

How I envy you. Never met her in person but I did at least get to see her in person when she starred in the national touring company of No No Nanette (in the Ruby Keeler role) in San Francisco.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
You do know that it was Robert Alton who came up with two of the best production numbers ever in a movie musical in this film don't you?
If you notice Torme is featured throughout the film but then disappears when everybody else gathers for the big finale.
The Good News number from the original film is sensational. It's like watching an actual 20s production number on a Broadway stage head on. I hope these numbers receive new scans as well.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
It's missing the final reel, originally shot in Technicolor. It used to play on TCM.
It creaks somewhat, but it has some merit, including a scorching Varsity Drag number and the absence of June Allyson :D. I wish it had been included as a curio for its historical value.
They'll be no June Allyson bashing on this thread. If she was good enough for Dick Powell, Dean Martin and Louis B Mayer she was good enough for any man.

JoelA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt

I believe the finale was filmed in Multicolor, a process that Fox used at that time primarily. I'm sure this sequence was lost in the MGM vault fire of 1967. Interestingly, from what I've read the 1930 version did pretty well at the box office considering it was released after the backlash to musicals. Probably partially due to its huge popularity on Broadway.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
Somebody explained it once but I don't remember. What am I supposed to see in the url that says I am buying it through hometheaterforum? It just brings me to a normal Amazon page.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
I wish Warner would put out as an extra feature the dazzling finale to Goldiggers of Broadway in a new scan. It is on youtube but in very poor blurry condition. I once saw it at Film Forum and it looked much better than that. A very important part of the sound history of film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artscience100