What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Genesis II/Planet Earth (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Image may contain: 3 people, text that says 'Blu-rayDisc ARCHIVE COLLECTION 2-FILM COLLECTION GENESIS PLANET 11 EARTH'

NEW 2020 1080p masters!
GENESIS II / PLANET EARTH - 2 FILM COLLECTION (1973, 1974)
Run Time 148:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO - English
Aspect Ratio 1.33:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50

“My name is Dylan Hunt. My story begins the day on which I died.” So begins this sci-fi saga from visionary creator Gene Roddenberry (Star Trek). Genesis II follows NASA scientist Dylan Hunt (Alex Cord), who’s buried in his own suspended-animation machine at NASA’s underground Carlsbad complex following an earthquake. Revived in the terrifying 22nd century by the pacifists of PAX, descendants of his fellow scientists, he learns of The Great Conflict, a third and final world war that destroyed everything he knew. As an agent of PAX, Dylan seeks to spread the message of science and peace throughout this savage and strange new world called Earth. In Genesis II, he encounters the Tyranians, a mutant, militaristic neighboring civilization. In Planet Earth, Dylan (now played by John Saxon) journeys to the Confederacy, where a despotic matriarchy enslaves all males.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Mariette Hartley's two navels remastered will be nice. "Planet Earth" though I found to be dreadful by contrast.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
"Planet Earth" though I found to be dreadful by contrast.

Cant argue with that. I can’t say I’m heartbroken that Strange New World isn’t included, though for completion’s sake I would have gotten it.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I can’t say I’m a huge fan of either of these, but I like them well enough. I actually prefer Planet Earth because it’s more re-watchable. It’s obviously more “trekked up” with Saxon a more physical lead and climaxing with a fistfight. Neither show was all that great. Genesis II was little more than Buck Rogers in togas, and Planet Earth was more a Buck Trek. The message of “Men are valuable because women can’t fight and dudes can beat up the Klingons – I mean Kreegs” was a little on the lame side. Saxon is great in a fight, though. He did some awesome Kirk Fu.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Wow! What a surprise! I'd "purchased" them with Amazon slow shipping credits thinking that'd be the only real way to own these. I'm not a huge fan but will be adding them to the collection, if nothing else for the remastering job I'm sure they'll do. They don't look that good on the digital versions.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I'm in the camp that really liked John Saxon as Dylan Hunt. The Planet Earth premise was sound, the cast likeable but the story was not a good one to sell the show. Save the messages for later in the season. Imagine if Desilu chose "Mudd's Women" as the second Star Trek pilot.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I had old TV recordings of all three and decided to haul them out for a rewatch, before considering the upgrade.

Well, all three are watched and I only have one word to say on the upgrade...No. Nada. Not going to happen.

Ironically, or is it, that they left out the only decent pilot of the three: STRANGE NEW WORLD.

GENESIS II is lame, almost embarrassingly unwatchable.

PLANET EARTH had some potential, but was definitely watered down Trek, and not even the good episodes. And I couldn't suppress a giggle, every time a character said "Dink". Ridiculous.

STRANGE NEW WORLD definitely had the most potential and I would have liked to see a season of that concept. A mixture of the PLANET OF THE APES and LOGAN'S RUN TV series, this concept would have had our heroes traveling from place to place and encountering different cultures that had developed after the apocalypse.

I'm actually glad they left STRANGE NEW WORLD off this set. If they decided to restore it and put it out on Blu by itself, I'd consider getting that one.

Being a big Star Trek fan, I'm glad I've stopped being a completist, I don't need these taking up space and taking away cash.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Somehow I missed this announcement and just stumbled on it this morning. I have fond memories of both of these, and already own the DVD equivalents, so I'll be happy for an upgrade. I loved the concept of the sub-shuttle and years ago bought this film-slide from the old Lincoln Enterprises. Recently I scanned it in to the computer as a digital picture. The colors had faded, but I worked diligently to clean it up. This scene was from when the first Dylan Hunt had just arrived to the underground lab for the initial experiment back in the 20th century.

Genesis-II-0001.jpg

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
The Blu-ray of GENESIS II / PLANET EARTH arrived today and I'm very happy with it. Knowing it was coming, I took a peek at the old Warner Archive DVD-R of GENESIS II to refresh my memory on how it looked.

That old DVD didn't look horrible to me, other than some gate-weave noticeable on still shots and credits, but when I saw the Blu-ray today, it was literally like night and day. The old DVD was rather dark - and this was noticeable when you view the Blu-ray scenes of the sub shuttle moving through its tunnel. On the DVD, it appears and mainly a dark tunnel with lights moving toward you. But on the Blu-ray, there's a red and black coloring to the walls of the tunnel, all plainly visible.

Color me happy with this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks