What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Escape From Fort Bravo (1953) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
2021-04-05_17-00-42.jpg

ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO (1953) New 2021 1080p HD Master sourced from 4k scan of Original Camera Negative!
Run Time 98:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs STEREO - English, DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.85:1, 16X9 Widescreen
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Feature: Theatrical Trailer.

Any Johnny Reb who tries to escape the Union prison outpost of Fort Bravo faces the unforgiving Arizona Territory desert stretching before him...and the even more unforgiving pursuit of Bravo’s resolute Captain Roper. Yet there’s a common foe that may unite the Civil War rivals: the fierce Mescalero horsemen waging guerilla war against Blue and Gray alike. William Holden portrays tough-minded Roper in a Western acclaimed for its scenic vistas (shot in Death Valley) and for sequences that showed a major action filmmaker was on the rise. John Sturges directs, setting the taut, rugged tone for The Great Escape, The Magnificent Seven and more hits to come. 16X9 Widescreen

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
View attachment 94077

ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO (1953) New 2021 1080p HD Master sourced from 4k scan of Original Camera Negative!
Run Time 98:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs STEREO - English, DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.85:1, 16X9 Widescreen
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Feature: Theatrical Trailer.

Any Johnny Reb who tries to escape the Union prison outpost of Fort Bravo faces the unforgiving Arizona Territory desert stretching before him...and the even more unforgiving pursuit of Bravo’s resolute Captain Roper. Yet there’s a common foe that may unite the Civil War rivals: the fierce Mescalero horsemen waging guerilla war against Blue and Gray alike. William Holden portrays tough-minded Roper in a Western acclaimed for its scenic vistas (shot in Death Valley) and for sequences that showed a major action filmmaker was on the rise. John Sturges directs, setting the taut, rugged tone for The Great Escape, The Magnificent Seven and more hits to come. 16X9 Widescreen
How odd that the cover jacket refers to the film as a "great romance". While there is a "romance", it's not the focus of the film which is a rather intense western about confederate soldiers in a Union prison camp.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't give up hope. Seven Brides For Seven Brothers was also filmed in Ansco color and the blu ray looks beautiful.
Well, I did say it's finally going to get a good video presentation despite the color processing used in the film. The prior home video format releases were not good so I'm counting on improved technology to advance past those prior efforts.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Well, I did say it's finally going to get a good video presentation despite the color processing used in the film. The prior home video format releases were not good so I'm counting on improved technology to advance past those prior efforts.
The color in the DVD was pretty horrendous. It looked like a watercolor that had been left out in the rain too long, but that was from fade. I recall seeing Ansco color prints done by Technicolor when I was young, and they seemed fine. Seeing that this is from the neg, I expect it to look pretty good. Only problem is, too many films I want are coming out at once. Remember when we all complained that the Archive was only releasing on Blu-Ray pristine versions of films nobody wanted?

Last edited:

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Flesh tones are very pink, but it's not unsettling. I wonder how much specific areas are treated to some form of digital colorization when one of the dye layers has faded? Obviously the flesh tones are lacking some yellow, and yet Eleanor is wearing a light yellow gown that doesn't look faded and there's another lady who passes by with a bright pastel yellow green gown (it looks colorized).

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It’s generally the a slightly different way Ansco captured color. M-G-M bought a lot of it, and finally used most up in Lust for Life, and pushed it as Metrocolor, until the lab switched to Eastman stock, which took on the moniker of Metrocolor.

Both Eastman and Ansco (GAF) shared similar mono-pack designs, with Eastman using the ubiquitous Amber negative stock.

Ansco shouldn‘t be having same fade problems as 5248, which for 1953 should be quite good.

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Fingers crossed on this one. I like the film a lot and have owned it on VHS, Laserdisc and DVD and none of them looked very good so I am hoping it finally looks good here.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Fingers crossed on this one. I like the film a lot and have owned it on VHS, Laserdisc and DVD and none of them looked very good so I am hoping it finally looks good here.
Judging from Warner Archive's YouTube video, It looks a lot worse than the other forthcoming titles. Keep your fingers crossed: we may need all the luck possible.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks