Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Dodsworth (1936) (Blu-ray)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Watched this film earlier today.

Let me start by saying that I always look forward to watching Warner Archive titles due to the fact I know I am going to be getting a first-rate presentation and DODSWORTH did not disappoint. The print looks beautiful with all its graininess and totally void of any impurities.

That being said, I found myself liking the film, not loving it. I kind of was turned off by Ruth Chatterson's character. What a floozy! However, I am sure that was the kind of feeling audiences were supposed to feel for her.

I was really surprised by how racy this film is, touching upon topics of divorce and promiscuity. Was this a pre-code film?

Not totally disappointed by this film. I liked Mary Astor and how the film ended. I just don't think this is something I will watch a second time but pleased that I had the initial opportunity.

Reactions: ahollis

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
There is a back story regarding Mary Astor during the making of this movie. It is covered in an excellent TCM documentary "Scandal: The Trial of Mary Astor". This movie isn't for everyone as it is devoid of action and no, the movie isn't pre-code as it was released in 1936.

Reactions: PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There is a back story regarding Mary Astor during the making of this movie. It is covered in an excellent TCM documentary "Scandal: The Trial of Mary Astor". This movie isn't for everyone as it is devoid of action and no, the movie isn't pre-code as it was released in 1936.
I would love to see that documentary. Maybe it's on YouTube? Will have to check later.

I really wanted to love this as I bought it based on all the praise it was given. Just didn't fully live up to my expectations.

However, I will have THE THIN MAN next week and I recently saw that for the first time on DVD and loved it.

Reactions: PMF and ahollis

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I would love to see that documentary. Maybe it's on YouTube? Will have to check later.

I really wanted to love this as I bought it based on all the praise it was given. Just didn't fully live up to my expectations.

However, I will have THE THIN MAN next week and I recently saw that for the first time on DVD and loved it.
I was kind of leery on recommending this movie to you because first, it's a 1936 movie with no action and is strictly a dialogue driven movie. I thought you might be bored by such a melodrama about morals and infidelity. If I didn't grow up watching such movies, I might be bored by them.:)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
By the way, my Blu-ray just arrived today from DeepDiscount.

Excellent!

I failed to mention...

Amazon is back on track with WB Archive titles. I got both DODSWORTH and TEX AVERY on release dates.

I always feel like I am gambling ordering archive titles from Amazon, but for now, it seems like the safe thing to do.

Reactions: PMF and ahollis

marcco00

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
marc
what i loved about Ruth Chatterton's character was her fear of growing old
and the lengths she would go to to avoid this.

the confrontation scene with Maria Ouspenskaya and Chatterton is just devastating to me each time i watch it.

and Walter Huston's Dodsworth trying so hard throughout the film to love this woman is so touching

to me, these are the most complex characters i've seen in a 1930's film, played by great actors at the top of their game, AND directed by the great William Wyler

also this was 1936 so the code was in place, i don't know how the themes in this film got past the censors

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF and bujaki

lark144

Supporting Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
mark gross
Dodsworth is well nigh perfect!
Yes, I finally got this in the mail yesterday. One can finally study the delicate lighting and depth perception (at least for its period considering the technical limitations) of Rudolph Mate's cinematography, the counterpoint of Daniel Mandell's editing (interesting that in his entire career he worked for mainly two directors, Wyler and Wilder), and yes, let's not forget the guy in the director's chair, but this is one of those films where the individual contributions somehow all mesh together, except perhaps for one, and I'm going to put the name in caps: MARY ASTOR.

What an incredible performance, that encapsulates the heart and soul of the film. And to think while this was being made she was going through a brutal divorce trial mostly played out in newspaper headlines, of which none had anything nice to say about her.
I read somewhere that Ms. Astor was on record stating that Ruth Chatteton, her co-star, was incredibly supportive during this period. And yes, to get back to the film, this may be the most extraordinary looking black and white release thus far from the Warner Archive.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanchibrneha