What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Days of Wine and Roses (1962) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER FROM 4K SCAN OF THE ORGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE!

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES
Run Time 117:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 16 X 9 WIDESCREEN, 1.85:1
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Commentary by Director Blake Edwards; Vintage Jack Lemmon Interview; Theatrical Trailer

When Blake Edwards’ powerful film of J.P. Miller’s heartrending teleplay Days of Wine and Roses hit movie screens, it won critical raves and box-office success and shone brightly as a career highlight for its two Oscar®-nominated stars, Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick, who play a couple caught in alcoholism’s web. A San Francisco public-relations hotshot is a “social” drinker…who never stops socializing. His vivacious wife starts drinking to keep him company. They live for good times. But eventually good times turn bad. Days of Wine and Roses earned a total of five Academy Award® nominations and a 1962 Best Song Oscar® for its haunting Henry Mancini/Johnny Mercer title tune. A poignant, harrowing portrait of human lives at their lowest, it also reflects filmmaking at its height.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Great film and I'm happy to finally have this on Blu-ray, but why the late time Facebook Announcement.:)

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Finally !!! Thank You ! WBArchive it took you long enough to release it. 4K Remaster from the Original Negative ! That sounds like an Amazing PQ release. I can't wait. One of my Favorite films. Jack Lemmon is Fantastic as usual. He should have won for Best Actor.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Finally !!! Thank You ! WBArchive it took you long enough to release it. 4K Remaster from the Original Negative ! That sounds like an Amazing PQ release. I can't wait. One of my Favorite films. Jack Lemmon is Fantastic as usual. He should have won for Best Actor.
It's a rough film to watch, but it is a great film too. The DVD came out in 2001, so it's been a long-time coming for a BD release. I'm not going to get into that Best Actor Oscar discussion again as that was one strong year for that category.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Rather a phenomenal month for WAC! I so appreciate finally being able to cross this title out fr4om my want list. This makes six for October, doesn't it?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Well this will make four movie titles for me in October.

Days of Wine and Rises
From Beyond the Grave
Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark
The Fearless Vampire Killer’s

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
A good film but it's not a patch on the original 1958 TV production with terrific performances from Cliff Robertson and Piper Laurie.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
A great, but sad film. I also admire the original Playhouse 90 version below. Don't watch if you don't want spoilers about the Jack Lemon Lee Remick movie. Unfortunately the sound is a bit out of sync.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
A good film but it's not a patch on the original 1958 TV production with terrific performances from Cliff Robertson and Piper Laurie.

I don't think these t.v. plays are available on DVD, are they? That would be an interesting cast, though. I can easily see Piper Laurie doing a great job with it, but I wouldn't have guessed Robertson had the range for it. I'll watch the video in the previous post.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I don't think these t.v. plays are available on DVD,are they? That would be an interesting cast, though. I can easily see Piper Laurie doing a great job with it, but I wouldn't have guessed Robertson had the range for it.

The 1958 TV version is available on DVD from Criterion as part of their Golden Age Of Television collection. In addition to Days Of Wine And Roses, it includes the original TV broadcasts of Marty (Rod Steiger, Betsy Palmer), Requiem For A Heavyweight (Jack Palance, Kim Hunter), Bang The Drum Slowly (Paul Newman, George Peppard), Patterns (Richard Kiley, Elizabeth Montgomery), The Comedian (Mickey Rooney, Edmond O'Brien), No Time For Sergeants (Andy Griffith) and A Wind From The South (Julie Harris).

The set includes retrospective interviews with John Frankenheimer, Julie Harris, Andy Grffith, Piper Laurie, Jack Palance, Julie Harris, Mickey Rooney, Kim Hunter, Cliff Robertson, Rod Steiger and Richard Kiley as well as introductions to the plays by Eva Marie Saint, Roddy McDowall, Keenan Wynn, Jack Klugman, Merv Griffin, Julie Harris and Carl Reiner.

Last edited:

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
As fine as Jack Lemmon's performance is in this, it's Lee Remick who will haunt you after the movie is over. She's heartbreaking, especially in the final, bleak reunion scene with Lemmon. Her performance was certainly Oscar-worthy in a very strong year.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Sold. I saw a close family friend destroy herself with alcohol*, and this film gets it right without treating it like a joke. Especially when Blake Edwards was mainly famous for comedies.

*Watching a childhood crush do the same thing is no picnic either.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Sold. I saw a close family friend destroy herself with alcohol*, and this film gets it right without treating it like a joke. Especially when Blake Edwards was mainly famous for comedies.

*Watching a childhood crush do the same thing is no picnic either.

I think many of us have seen this sort of destruction, and it's beyond frustrating. It's heartbreaking, and it pisses me off. These are people we love and care about, yet we seem helpless to keep them from diving into the empty pool. They can only help themselves if they want to, in the end. Seems like a slap in the face to their close friends, a sort of "f**k you, I know you love me, but I hate myself, and this is how it's gonna go," with little regard for the rest of us. Selfish as hell. But, then, we don't live in their shoes.

Reactions: PMF

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Still one of my all time favorites and especially hard hitting even now.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I reviewed that Criterion Golden Age of Television box set. I'd say both versions of The Days of Wine and Roses are equally worthy. The TV version is rawer (and more original). The movie version is longer and slicker. For me, both are emotionally devastating.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Release date for "Days of Wine and Roses" is October 29th.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I found my original review of The Golden Age of Television for anyone who is interested in what I had to say to about all of the masterful dramas in that most worthwhile package. Look here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks