What's new

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I agree that the 1930 version is better. But i like this film also. I guess that would make me 7?

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I tweeted Warner Archive that they were releasing the wrong Cimarron. Maybe other could tell that that’s we’d like the original on Blu as well?

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I think the pluses outweigh the minuses with this remake. The success of BEN HUR encouraged MGM to remake some old period hits to varying degrees of artistic and commercial success.
The main minus to me is the choppy re-editing in the latter portion of the film, which caused Anthony Mann to disown it. (It makes me think of THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS, though not as badly mutilated and that film is far superior, in my opinion.) Maria Schell had talent but was no Irene Dunne and seemed to have a frozen smile on her pretty face. Ford fared better in this than in 4 HORSEMEN, made one year later, where he looked to be TWICE the age of the character (and this time his European co-star had to have her dialogue dubbed by Angela Lansbury). Going by his son's biography, Ford & Schell became very involved and considered marriage at this time.
The pluses for me are the outstanding supporting cast (especially Anne Baxter, Russ Tamblyn and Aline MacMahon, whose character unbelievably survives until the final scene!), the terrific Franz Waxman score and the beautiful CinemaScope cinematography, which could give DANCES WITH WOLVES a run for its money. The land rush scene is truly and thrillingly cinematic. The good 1931 version is bested by thst sequence, partly due to advances in technology.
A must get for me.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Added trivia note: The 1978 Richard Donner SUPERMAN was an unofficial reunion movie for Glenn Ford (Pa Kent) and Maria Schell (Krypton counsel member). They had no scenes together.
Two others who had an on - screen reunion in this movie were Marlon Brando and Trevor Howard. The salary must have been good as Trevor Howard reportedly came to loathe Brando during the troubled shooting of MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

SultanOfWhat

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I might buy this one as a gift, as my parents had their first date watching this film when it was first released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks