What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Broadway Melody of 1940 (1940) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
2.jpg

NEW 2021 1080p HD Master Sourced from 4K scan of Nitrate preservation elements!
BROADWAY MELODY OF 1940
Run Time 102:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO - English
Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1 4x3 FULL FRAME
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Making-of Featurette: "Begin the Beguine" (hosted by Ann Miller); "Our Gang Comedies: The Big Premiere"; MGM Cartoon: "The Milky Way" ; Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

The job – a career breakthrough – is supposed to go to hoofer Johnny Brett, but a mix-up in names gives it to his partner. Another example of Broadway hopes dashed? Not when Johnny is played by Fred Astaire. Sparkling Cole Porter songs, clever comedy and dance legends Astaire and Eleanor Powell make the final Broadway Melody (co-starring George Murphy) a film to remember. Powell’s nautical “All Ashore" routine (a/k/a I Am the Captain”), Astaire’s blissful “I’ve Got My Eyes on You” and Fred & Eleanor's elaborate routine to Cole Porter's classic "I Concentrate On You" are more than enough to please any fan. But they’re just a warm-up for the leads to tap one finale number into immortality: “Begin the Beguine,” introduced by Frank Sinatra in That’s Entertainment! with, “You can wait around and hope, but you’ll never see the likes of this again.”

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I'm so very thrilled by this! I hope that the pre-order doesn't take too long to appear (based on the way things have been done recently, I expect it will be available later in the month, after the announcements would usually happen).

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Me too. I was so excited for a split second, then I saw the “1940”. :/

no offence to those who like it, but it’s the wrong Broadway Melody. :(
Wrong for you, perhaps ;) but Broadway Melody Of 1940 is the superior film if only for the startling Begin The Beguine number. Broadway Melody Of 1929 positively creaks. An example of stilted early talkies that hadn't quite figured out what cinema is.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Wrong for you, perhaps ;) but Broadway Melody Of 1940 is the superior film if only for the startling Begin The Beguine number. Broadway Melody Of 1929 positively creaks. An example of stilted early talkies that hadn't quite figured out what cinema is.
Thomas I am not in disagreement with you, they're both different animals, both different films, and one has the bonus of Fred Astaire what could possibly be wrong with that. Nothing!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Me too. I was so excited for a split second, then I saw the “1940”. :/

no offence to those who like it, but it’s the wrong Broadway Melody. :(
Perhaps this is just the beginning.

Maybe WAC will be working their way backwards; with Broadway Melody of 1938, 1936, and then onwards to the original and Best Picture of 1929; just as they are now doing in the forward direction with The Thin Man series.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I never said it was great... it isn’t. But it won best picture...

I happen to like BM of 36 better. And I need that one, too.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I never said it was great... it isn’t. But it won best picture..
Well, I'll skip naming the many abominations that have won a best picture Oscar. :DBut I understand the collector's mentality. I collect Audrey Hepburn movies including the stinkers like Paris When It Sizzles, Bloodline and Green Mansions. It's the price one pays for being a completist (though I drew the line at They All Laughed, I have standards. They may be low but I have them).

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
what was that?

When Sinatra introduces the Begin the Beguine segment from Broadway Melody of 1940 in That's Entertainment! he states "you can wait around and hope, but I'll tell you, you'll never see the likes of this again".

And I'm looking forward to this release, also. Not only are the music and dancing top-notch, but there are some hilarious comic vignettes throughout the film.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks