Randy Korstick

Producer
Reaction score
Great news. I haven't seen this since the VHS in the early 90's but more historical films and more Stewart Granger on blu Ray are ok in my book.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Reactions: Darby67

roxy1927

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
vincent parisi
I love Scaramouche but I have a friend who insists the Navarro(which I've never seen) is much better. Here's hoping they both get a release on bluray.

Reactions: Darby67

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I love Scaramouche but I have a friend who insists the Navarro(which I've never seen) is much better. Here's hoping they both get a release on bluray.
That version doesn’t have Eleanor Parker.:)

Reactions: Darby67 and Robin9

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
That's true! But the Novarro version boasts Alice Terry and a better director and visual stylist, Rex Ingram. Let's just say that we need both versions.
Dude, I was joking.

roxy1927

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
vincent parisi
Interesting that neither this film nor MGM's big Christmas release musical 'Deep in my Heart' both big budget films were in Cinemascope.

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Andy Budgell
The Warner Archives have uploaded a clip derived from the upcoming Beau Brummell Blu-ray to their YouTube channel. It looks beautiful! Only a week to go!

Reactions: Ken Koc

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Just a bit to early for the new format and for MGM to get their hands on one of the then rare anamorphics.

richardburton84

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Jack
Just a bit to early for the new format and for MGM to get their hands on one of the then rare anamorphics.
That didn’t stop them from getting ahold of the early CinemaScope lenses for movies like Knights of the Round Table or Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Reaction score
I think it was more like a lens.There were so few guards were employed to make sure they were kept safe.

roxy1927

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
vincent parisi
Rosemarry Harris?!!! Good Lord! Get a copy to her pronto!!

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'm pleased to say that I received my copy of Beau Brummell from Barnes & Noble and watched it yesterday evening.

This film has long been a favourite of mine, but my only experience with it was the old, pinkish pan and scan VHS era master, which was a shadow of what it should look like. Four years ago the Warner Archive responded to a question I posted on their Facebook page regarding Beau Brummell saying that elements issues that required an expensive restoration had precluded release to date, so I assumed that this film would remain in limbo like Raintree County.

I'm pleased that these issues could be overcome and I can confirm that this is one gorgeous Blu-ray. To say my viewing last night was a revelation would be an understatement. It was a treat to finally see it in its original aspect ratio, and the colours are so sumptuous. There's a scene towards the end of the film, where the newly crowned King George IV (Ustinov), Lady Patricia (Taylor), et al, are travelling in a carriage, that illustrates this. The shot of Elizabeth wearing a resplendent cloak against the plush, tufted interior of the carriage was breathtaking, and truly like nothing I've ever seen onscreen before. The only caveat to an otherwise perfect presentation is that the MGM logo at the beginning seems to be tacked on from the previous master? Not sure why, but I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation, and it's quickly forgotten.

Thank you, Warner Archive! The only two films they could possibly release that would top this for me would be Raintree County and National Velvet.

Don't hesitate to pick this one up!

roxy1927

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
vincent parisi
Now for Scaramouche as discussed and Young Bess. Saw it a very long time ago(maybe at the Regency?) and was very impressed. Love these MGM technicolor pageants/ melodramas. And how about Liz at her most beautiful in The Last Time I Saw Paris?

Robin9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robin
I'm pleased to say that I received my copy of Beau Brummell from Barnes & Noble and watched it yesterday evening.

This film has long been a favourite of mine, but my only experience with it was the old, pinkish pan and scan VHS era master, which was a shadow of what it should look like. Four years ago the Warner Archive responded to a question I posted on their Facebook page regarding Beau Brummell saying that elements issues that required an expensive restoration had precluded release to date, so I assumed that this film would remain in limbo like Raintree County.

I'm pleased that these issues could be overcome and I can confirm that this is one gorgeous Blu-ray. To say my viewing last night was a revelation would be an understatement. It was a treat to finally see it in its original aspect ratio, and the colours are so sumptuous. There's a scene towards the end of the film, where the newly crowned King George IV (Ustinov), Lady Patricia (Taylor), et al, are travelling in a carriage, that illustrates this. The shot of Elizabeth wearing a resplendent cloak against the plush, tufted interior of the carriage was breathtaking, and truly like nothing I've ever seen onscreen before. The only caveat to an otherwise perfect presentation is that the MGM logo at the beginning seems to be tacked on from the previous master? Not sure why, but I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation, and it's quickly forgotten.

Thank you, Warner Archive! The only two films they could possibly release that would top this for me would be Raintree County and National Velvet.

Andrew, thanks for that. I haven't hesitated and my copy is on its way to me.

Reactions: Andrew Budgell

lark144

Supporting Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
mark gross

Andrew, I can't wait. I also bought mine from B&N, and was supposed to have it two days ago, but it's been lost. Ah, the US Mail!

Reactions: Andrew Budgell

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RebeccaLawrence