What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Baby Doll (1956) (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
1610405519158.png

NEW 2021 1080p HD master!

BABY DOLL (1956)
Run Time 114:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO - English
Aspect Ratio 1.85:1, 16 X 9 Letterbox
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: "Baby Doll: See No Evil" vintage featurette; Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Times are tough for cotton miller Archie (Karl Malden), but at least he has his child bride (Carroll Baker), who’ll soon be his wife in title and truth. The one-year agreement keeping them under the same roof – yet never in the same bed – is about to end. But a game with a sly business rival (Eli Wallach) is about to begin. In Baby Doll, as in A Streetcar Named Desire, director Elia Kazan and writer Tennessee Williams broke new ground in depicting sexual situations – earning condemnation from the then-powerful Legion of Decency. They earned laurels too: four Academy Award® nominations, Golden Globe® Awards for Baker and Kazan, and a British Academy Award for Wallach. Watch this funny, steamy classic that, as Leonard Maltin’s Movie Guide proclaims, “still sizzles.”

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited by a moderator:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw this film in its OAR in a theater and it gave me a...let's say it excited me. I was in my early twenties and I was already a married man. No matter.
No wonder the Legion of Decency condemned it (which is usually a recommendation).

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
View attachment 85729

NEW 2021 1080p HD master!

BABY DOLL (1956)
Run Time 114:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO - English
Aspect Ratio 1.85:1, 16 X 9 Letterbox
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: "Baby Doll: See No Evil" vintage featurette; Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Times are tough for cotton miller Archie (Karl Malden), but at least he has his child bride (Carroll Baker), who’ll soon be his wife in title and truth. The one-year agreement keeping them under the same roof – yet never in the same bed – is about to end. But a game with a sly business rival (Eli Wallach) is about to begin. In Baby Doll, as in A Streetcar Named Desire, director Elia Kazan and writer Tennessee Williams broke new ground in depicting sexual situations – earning condemnation from the then-powerful Legion of Decency. They earned laurels too: four Academy Award® nominations, Golden Globe® Awards for Baker and Kazan, and a British Academy Award for Wallach. Watch this funny, steamy classic that, as Leonard Maltin’s Movie Guide proclaims, “still sizzles.”
Finally and long overdue!

Reactions: PMF

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Superb news, been waiting for this one for a long time. Will be grabbing this Day 1. Between this and A Tale of Two Cities it’s shaping up to be a strong February.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Brilliant film. I saw it for the first time on the Warner DVD about 15 years ago. Apart from wondering why the film received such severe condemnation when first released, I was surprised at how funny the film was. Great dialogue and fine acting performances all round.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
I saw this film in its OAR in a theater and it gave me a...let's say it excited me. I was in my early twenties and I was already a married man. No matter.
No wonder the Legion of Decency condemned it (which is usually a recommendation).
From what I have read, the Legion of Decency didn't even see the movie. Apparently, Cardinal Cooke was walking through Times Square, saw this gigantic poster for the film prior to the film's opening, and immediately decided to have it condemned.
baby-doll.jpg

btw, I've only seen the DVD & though very funny and brillantly directed and photographed, never found it all that sexy, but maybe it's more stimulating in its original AOR>

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
From what I have read, the Legion of Decency didn't even see the movie. Apparently, Cardinal Cooke was walking through Times Square, saw this gigantic poster for the film prior to the film's opening, and immediately decided to have it condemned.
View attachment 85737

btw, I've only seen the DVD & though very funny and brillantly directed and photographed, never found it all that sexy, but maybe it's more stimulating in its original AOR>
Not the first time a film was condemned by someone who had not seen it.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
View attachment 85737

The film was censored in many countries and condemned by the Catholic Church ( a reason to see the film). The film was a huge hit in my city and was later transferred to a cinema where I worked so I was able see the film several times. The film looked like a campy comedy when I saw it recently so it has not aged well.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
More Tennessee Williams' is always a good thing, but I've never really warmed up to this film. Maybe it's the odd tone, or its' general sordidness, or the sight of a talented cast working on material that may not be worthy of their efforts. I do hope that we'll get the far superior The Night of the Iguana before long.

Bob Cashill

Senior HTF Member
“Let’s go to bed, and when we wake up in the morning we’ll see if we’ve been remembered, or forgotten”—a memorable last line that’s pure Williams.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
The film was censored in many countries and condemned by the Catholic Church ( a reason to see the film). The film was a huge hit in my city and was later transferred to a cinema where I worked so I was able see the film several times. The film looked like a campy comedy when I saw it recently so it has not aged well.
No, the film has not aged well at all. I was cleaning and came upon that old Tennessee Williams DVD set and watched "Baby Doll" again.

The comedy is a mix of the cruel and the campy, not to mention smirky. But though Carrol Baker is comely enough, the film isn't sexy at all. It teases a bit, winks at the audience, and then puts off any kind of satisfaction, just like the character of Baby Doll does in the film.

The characters are all stereotypes, who are made to jump through hoops, narratively speaking, and look ridiculous. To call the film implausible would be a comliment. It makes no logical sense, and what little it does, is mean-spitited. The actor who comes off best is Eli Wallach, but he's working from scratch, without a net, as there's no character or plot development and nothing really happens. There's no real conflict either. It's an anecdote--a dirty story without a payoff--that's expanded to the breaking point. I think Kazan realized this, which is why there's all these tricky camera angles and flashy editing.

The cinematography, by Boris Kaufmann, is sublime, so good it's difficult to take one's eyes off the screen, with all kinds of fascinating depth of field shots and beautiful uses of key lights. Every inch of every frame is exquisite. But the film trashes its characters and mocks its audience.

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
More Tennessee Williams' is always a good thing, but I've never really warmed up to this film. Maybe it's the odd tone, or its' general sordidness, or the sight of a talented cast working on material that may not be worthy of their efforts. I do hope that we'll get the far superior The Night of the Iguana before long.
...........and "Splendor in the Grass" as well. More Kazan on Blu, please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingcobra1978