What's new

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They had to wait for him to die, the pre-1986 MGM library to end up with Ted Turner, for Turner to in turn end up at Time Warner, and for the show to get a revival/revisal for it to ever be seen again.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
I remember a revival house got the Judy takes( maybe Theater 80 St Marks?) and was going to show them. Berlin got wind of it so it never happened. What did he have against the movie itself? It would have been great to see it on a screen. It never happened in a revival house though his other films were shown all the time.

And by the way Matt A I got B and B the full version on DVD. It's being sold incredibly cheap new on Amazon. Maybe someday I'll watch it. Saw it at Radio City and didn't like it though the animated sequences were wonderful.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I remember a revival house got the Judy takes( maybe Theater 80 St Marks?) and was going to show them. Berlin got wind of it so it never happened. What did he have against the movie itself? It would have been great to see it on a screen. It never happened in a revival house though his other films were shown all the time.
I remember Variety writing up an article about that. Some months later, I found in a collectors' magazine a VHS of those clips including all of the takes of her two numbers showing her in dire shape, sometimes with a snappish temper but somehow managing to pull herself together for takes and then almost collapsing after "cut" was called. An eye-opening experience showing so many of the stories about her instability and drug-induced working state at that period in her life were painfully true.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A few words will be posted (hopefully) later today.

The bottom line - absolutely magnificent three-strip - even though a couple of reels are derived from fine grains.

It’s an odd film, with replacement actors in various roles - the most notable being Morgan and Garland.

Would have been a very different experience with Miss Merman.

Richard M S

Supporting Actor
A revival house on the Upper West Side - possibly the Thalia once had a program of Hollywood ephemera with longer versions of the outtakes of the currently existing version of Doin What Comes Naturally. There's one edit in the middle of the number that covers a moment when something goes wrong and she gets annoyed with the director yelling cut, as she does later at the number's end.

On YouTube, the longer version contains a moment shown back then when one of the child actors made some sort of a mistake by coming in early and though the tension immediately rises Garland realizes it was a child and says "All right let's start again."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fred1976