What's new

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Betty Hutton managed to get over her addictions. Judy Garland did not.

Great documentary/biography Sid and Judy on Showtime that includes a section on Judy and Annie Get Your Gun. She had bad memories of working with Bugs Berkeley in the past, taking Benzedrine and being exhausted. Taking direction from Bugs and Bob Alton, the music, the costumes, the chorus boys, left her confused, in a daze and had migraine headaches constantly. She remembers having lunch in her dressing room, Les Peterson leaving a message for her that read "Don't bother to report back to work after lunch because you are dismissed from the picture."

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
If it does I sincerely hope you'll be okay and those few moments of text won't ruin your enjoyment of the film TOO much. Thoughts and prayers!
HAHA.- it’s just not text anymore it’s full recorded disclaimers at the beginning of releases now like Gone With the Wind has.
Maybe you might like someone ‘splaining to you what you’re supposed to like or not like or feel or not feel in classics of any type i.e. film , literature, theater etc. but I certainly don’t.
To each his own- that’s my philosophy. Obviously it’s not yours with that sarcastic attack.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
HAHA.- it’s just not text anymore it’s full recorded disclaimers at the beginning of releases now like Gone With the Wind has.

Just out of curiosity, where are you seeing GWTW with a recorded disclaimer at the beginning? To my knowledge, the only change so far to GWTW has been to add a discussion about the film as an optional extra on HBO Max. I started the movie tonight on the app and it went right into the film with no disclaimer in evidence. If you're talking about another platform then I apologize but I'm not aware of it.

In any event, you should invest in one of those "new" remotes that come with a fast forward button because disclaimers, when deemed necessary by the rights holders, aren't going away anytime soon and are literally the LEAST intrusive thing that can be done to reconcile insensitive attitudes of the past with a hopefully more enlightened present.

To each his own- that’s my philosophy.

With all due respect, that philosophy isn't on display here. "To each his own" would actually entail realizing that acknowledging the mistakes of the past is important to some people and to not let it bother you if it's not your thing. It's not as though you're forced to watch them. I don't watch them. Some people need or want to see them. Let them.

All of this is putting the cart before the horse anyway, since we have no foreknowledge as to whether or not ANNIE GET YOUR GUN will even carry a disclaimer. So what if it does? Being offered a fully skippable reminder that our white majority society hasn't always been sensitive to minorities isn't a personal attack and shouldn't really be filed under the category of "news" anyway. Having to fast forward through that potential reminder if you choose not to watch it isn't oppression.

Obviously it’s not yours with that sarcastic attack.

I PREFER the term "ironic wit" but, to each his own. ;)

Last edited:

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
How do I get rid of those FBI warnings which I so hate. Is it possible to skip them? I have not found a way. Imagine if all music started with a spoken warning and you had to listen to it.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
How do I get rid of those FBI warnings which I so hate. Is it possible to skip them? I have not found a way. Imagine if all music started with a spoken warning and you had to listen to it.
The ones at the end of WB titles in virtually every language -you can press the chapter forward button on your remote however many times you need before it comes to the main menu.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Those are on the screen for only a matter of seconds. Big deal. I'm more irritated by previews of 3 or 4 crappy movies that I'd never want to see playing before the movie and having to hit the next button or worse, having to fast forward through all of them because they've disabled the "next" feature forcing you to sit through the trailers.

Now back to Annie Get Your Gun :D

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The current TCM programing on Thursdays in March, Reframed: Classic Films in the Rearview Mirror, would be a perfect place to show the censored Warner Bros. cartoons that were pulled in the 1960's. Of course they are not included. Though AGYG is not included in the series it certainly would qualify. I guess it bothers me a little to have a series about why films shouldn't be censored and not discussing and/or showing films or cartoons that have been censored. This post should be amended. It is not censorship if the owner of the product choses not to make it available. That goes for Disney and "Song of The South", Warner Bros and it's cartoons, or Dr. Seuss for that matter. Still I think the discussions with the host should include the topic of movies that studios chose not to make available. https://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/020930?source=nav

Last edited:

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
The ones at the end of WB titles in virtually every language -you can press the chapter forward button on your remote however many times you need before it comes to the main menu.
An easier/quicker way with the one that comes in 36 different languages, and therefore has 36 chapters, is to hit fast forward to its highest setting. It'll all be over in a couple of seconds.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
The movie is very good, though I will always wonder what it would have been like with Ethel Merman. One of the best recordings of this score is on RCA (Masterworks Broadway is the latest label name) and was recorded in the 1960's, it was the Music Theater of Lincoln Center. Awesome stereo sound and Ethel sings this score beautifully in this version, and the co-stars are all wonderful. I highly recommend it if you are a fan of the music. A small complaint is that this CD was released in the first several years of the introduction of the CD, and Columbia/RCA has gone back and remastered many of their shows but not this one yet, still the sound is quite good. Amazon product

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
Of my great regrets of things I could have seen but didn't the biggest is not seeing Merman in Dolly. I remember passing in front of the St James coming from and going to the Port Authority and looking at the photos but wanting to see newer shows. I still can't believe I didn't grab the opportunity.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The movie is very good, though I will always wonder what it would have been like with Ethel Merman. One of the best recordings of this score is on RCA (Masterworks Broadway is the latest label name) and was recorded in the 1960's, it was the Music Theater of Lincoln Center. Awesome stereo sound and Ethel sings this score beautifully in this version, and the co-stars are all wonderful. I highly recommend it if you are a fan of the music. A small complaint is that this CD was released in the first several years of the introduction of the CD, and Columbia/RCA has gone back and remastered many of their shows but not this one yet, still the sound is quite good. Amazon product
How ironic you should bring up this album. I just started listening to it in my car today. Hadn't listened to it in years, so it's almost like hearing it for the first time.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
If there’s a dud among those ‘60s Music Theater of Lincoln Center cast recordings, I’m unaware of it. They’re really wonderful.

Steve Rothaus

Auditioning
Just out of curiosity, where are you seeing GWTW with a recorded disclaimer at the beginning? To my knowledge, the only change so far to GWTW has been to add a discussion about the film as an optional extra on HBO Max. I started the movie tonight on the app and it went right into the film with no disclaimer in evidence. If you're talking about another platform then I apologize but I'm not aware of it.

In any event, you should invest in one of those "new" remotes that come with a fast forward button because disclaimers, when deemed necessary by the rights holders, aren't going away anytime soon and are literally the LEAST intrusive thing that can be done to reconcile insensitive attitudes of the past with a hopefully more enlightened present.

With all due respect, that philosophy isn't on display here. "To each his own" would actually entail realizing that acknowledging the mistakes of the past is important to some people and to not let it bother you if it's not your thing. It's not as though you're forced to watch them. I don't watch them. Some people need or want to see them. Let them.

All of this is putting the cart before the horse anyway, since we have no foreknowledge as to whether or not ANNIE GET YOUR GUN will even carry a disclaimer. So what if it does? Being offered a fully skippable reminder that our white majority society hasn't always been sensitive to minorities isn't a personal attack and shouldn't really be filed under the category of "news" anyway. Having to fast forward through that potential reminder if you choose not to watch it isn't oppression.

I PREFER the term "ironic wit" but, to each his own. ;)
The disclaimer, attached, has also been added to purchased video streams including iTunes, Prime Video and Vudu. Also, three short TCM discussions about the film are now included with the iTunes Extras.

Attachments

• GWTW disclaimer.png
    GWTW disclaimer.png
    439.9 KB · Views: 22

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
The disclaimer, attached, has also been added to purchased video streams including iTunes, Prime Video and Vudu. Also, three short TCM discussions about the film are now included with the iTunes Extras.

So it is, indeed, a few seconds of text as opposed to a "fully recorded" disclaimer. That's what I thought. I assume those optional extras are the same as those available on HBO Max. Thanks.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
I'm an Indian Too is a good song and I'm sorry they now cut it. It's a lot of fun and it's a real stretch to think it is condescending to native americans. Is now Good News considered problematic because of Pass That Peace Pipe which is a sensational funny number? And one of my favorite comic Rodgers and Hart songs is Give It Back to the Indians which posits that the white man got stuck with the wrong end of the deal. Does this now have to be apologized for? And I guess we can't even go near All Dressed Up Spic and Spanish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merrickw