What's new

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Remember watching her interview with Robert Osborne on TCM and her relating how bad the MGM clique treated her because she replaced Judy Garland and hard to believe she was not even invited to the premiere!

I'd take that with a grain of salt as Betty was notorious for her victim/persecution complexes. Ever the gentleman, Howard Keel, when questioned about working with Betty Hutton, famously said that she was a less "generous" performer than Judy had been. I would hazard a guess that, if people at MGM didn't "like" her, it had more to do with her own behavior than any loyalty to someone who was removed from the film five months prior and never coming back, no matter what.

As regards the "premiere" story which has gained a lot of traction since the Osborne interview, what she actually said to him was that MGM didn't even bother to invite her to the New York premiere. Well, everybody else in the cast could say the same thing because there was NO invitation-only premiere in New York. The film had its grand opening at Loew's State on Wednesday May 17, 1950 at 10am to paying customers. It makes NO sense that the studio would not invite their star if they had a formal "premiere," yet the story of the fictional slight persists.

clipping_72597709-page-001 (1).jpg

Last edited:

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Neither of them were going to win Mother of the Year unless Joan Crawford was the only other nominee. Judy's kids had to go to Cloris Leachman's house to get a decent meal! This was straight from Lorna Luft in her book.

Speaking of which:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I wonder what a prelease engagement means. I could understand it if it referred to opening for a week in December to qualify for Oscar consideration before a general release in January but the above release was in May. 55 cents for a first run downtown movie. Those were the days.

This film could not be seen on TV or in revival houses for many years because Irving Berlin would not allow it. Supposedly he thought the movie, if available, would hurt licensing of the stage musical. The clips included in "That's Entertainment 2" in 1976 was the first time any part of the film was seen in many years. Berlin did not allow any of the music he controlled be used in the first "That's Entertainment". "A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody" written by Berlin and in "That's Entertainment" was not controlled by Berlin.

I did not like the look of the DVD. It looked similar to the DVD of "The Pirate" in my opinion. I hope the blu ray also looks like the blu ray of "The Pirate".

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I wonder what a prelease engagement means. I could understand it if it referred to opening for a week in December to qualify for Oscar consideration before a general release in January but the above release was in May. 55 cents for a first run downtown movie. Those were the days.

While I can't say for CERTAIN, I would guess it was an engagement that was only playing at Loew's State prior to opening in other New York metropolitan area theaters or in theaters across the country? Just a guess (I mean, it could just be marketing talk?)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
any idea when amazon will get a link up for preorder? Calamity Jane is another favorite... and every time I watch it I say "ok tomorrow I'll watch Annie Get Your Gun" but then I remember it's not on blu-ray :(

Thrilled with this news...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
any idea when amazon will get a link up for preorder? Calamity Jane is another favorite... and every time I watch it I say "ok tomorrow I'll watch Annie Get Your Gun" but then I remember it's not on blu-ray :(

Thrilled with this news...

Preorder availability on Amazon varies. Usually, it's within two weeks of the announcement. I have seen preorders go up before the actual announcement, a few days to two weeks after.

I do a sweep of Amazon several times a day. As soon as I see it I will post.

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
I saw the revival with Bernadette Peters at the Kennedy Center in DC and would agree the complicated re-working of the story did the show no favors. And as much as I love Peters I felt she was mis-cast.... too subtle and nuanced. Annie really requires broader strokes to work and from all accounts Reba was magnificent in the role. I would also say that maybe Garland was really not right for the part either, though of course we can never really know. Hutton is anything but subtle but it does work. I continue to be amazed at the incredible restorations we are getting of these classic musicals.
After watching the Garland out-takes included on my original DVD, I'm glad she didn't continue with the role. Betty Hutton did a bang up job and won the Photoplay Gold Medal Award for 1950 (voted by the magazine's fans) to boot!

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It cracked me up when the DVD came out and "Broadway star" Susan Lucci, Bernadette's three-week vacation replacement, got to appear on the DVD special features. I saw both Bernadette and Reba in the role, and Reba was brilliant, Bernadette was a trouper but miscast.

I am sorry I didn't see it when Cheryl Ladd was brought in. Her tenure in the show was immortalized by Forbidden Broadway's acerbic "I've No Business In Show Business"
Gerard Allesandrini is a most brilliant light.

winstoncarolina

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Great news, though I was never a fan of this version of "Annie Get Your Gun." I was lucky and saw Ethel Merman revive Annie in the 1960s Lincoln Center revival. Merman was in her 50s then, I guess. There's also a pretty good version available with Mary Martin as Annie and John Raitt as Frank from the mid 1950s. It's black and white, though. The color version was lost when NBC erased the videotape, which was common practice back then. Reba's reviews were better than Bernadette's. as I recall, and she was more suited to the role.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, Mary Martin had a long history with Annie Get Your Gun. In fact, she won her first Tony Award for headlining the national tour of Annie, a special award given during the award's second year.

Trancas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
Having watched various Annie Get Your Gun excerpts on YouTube from some of these performers, I've gotta say that Reba seemed the best suited to the part with her belting vocals and down-home personality. The clip of Judy Garland as Annie was odd. Judy's tomboy makeup and hair makes her look disconcertingly like Hilary Swank.

Last edited:

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This must have been the most popular movie musical to be unavailable for decades then resurface in the DVD era.

When Betty Hutton performed on a PBS special in 1983, "You Can't Get a Man With a Gun" was part of her setlist:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
NBC played it once on Saturday Night at the Movies; that's the only time I saw it before the DVD release. I always heard Irving didn't like Betty as Annie, and that's why he didn't want it seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronald nolan56