What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Annie Get Your Gun (1950) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
annie.jpg

NEW 2021 1080p HD Master Sourced from 4K scan of original nitrate Technicolor negatives!
ANNIE GET YOUR GUN (1950)
Run Time 107:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1 4x3 FULL FRAME
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Susan Lucci retrospective & intro piece (from 2000 DVD release); Outtakes: Let’s Go West Again-Betty Hutton, Doin’ What Comes Natur’lly-Judy Garland, I’m an Indian, Too-Judy Garland, Colonel Buffalo Bill with Howard Keel and Frank Morgan; Stereo audio pre-recording session tracks including There’s No Business Like Show Business featuring Judy Garland; Theatrical Re-issue Trailer (HD)

Betty Hutton (as Annie Oakley) and Howard Keel (as Frank Butler) star in this sharpshootin’ funfest based on the 1,147-performance Broadway smash boasting Irving Berlin’s beloved score, including “Doin’ What Comes Natur’lly,” “I Got the Sun in the Morning” and the anthemic “There’s No Business Like Show Business.” As produced by Arthur Freed, directed by George Sidney, and seen and heard in this new remastered HD presentation, this lavish, spirited production showcases songs and performances with bull’s-eye precision, earning an Oscar®* for adaptation scoring. The story is a brawling boy-meets-girl-meets-buckshot rivalry. But love finally triumphs when Annie proves that, yes, you can get a man with a gun!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Another damn musical! But I'm going to have to buy this one...not that I've ever seen it, but around 20 years ago, a local second hand CD shop closed down, & they were selling off the stock for next to nothing, & I bought some MGM soundtracks on the Rhino label (along with some street cred rock stuff). I didn't keep them all, just three, Brigadoon, Kiss Me Kate & Annie Get Your Gun, & every song on Annie is a classic, so I'm just going to have to buy the film.

Reactions: PMF

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Special Features: Susan Lucci retrospective & intro piece (from 2000 DVD release)
On a trip to New York, I had planned on seeing the acclaimed revival of Annie Get Your Gun with Bernadette Peters. But when I went to the theatre to buy my ticket, Ms. Peters was on vacation and Susan Lucci had taken over the role in her absence. Boy, was I disappointed. But she wasn't bad at all although her singing voice wasn't strong enough for the role. She sounded more like Peggy Lee, which isn't a bad thing at all, Peggy Lee is great but the role requires a belter.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That was 3 months before 9/11. The revival closed less than two weeks before it.

I would have liked to have seen her in the role.

I would have liked to see her do the show as it was originally written, but that was the late 1990s/early 2000s so they rewrote the book to be what they considered more culturally sensitive to the Native American characters … and still cast Larry Storch as the Chief!

Last edited:

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I saw the revival with Bernadette Peters at the Kennedy Center in DC and would agree the complicated re-working of the story did the show no favors. And as much as I love Peters I felt she was mis-cast.... too subtle and nuanced. Annie really requires broader strokes to work and from all accounts Reba was magnificent in the role. I would also say that maybe Garland was really not right for the part either, though of course we can never really know. Hutton is anything but subtle but it does work. I continue to be amazed at the incredible restorations we are getting of these classic musicals.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
On a trip to New York, I had planned on seeing the acclaimed revival of Annie Get Your Gun with Bernadette Peters. But when I went to the theatre to buy my ticket, Ms. Peters was on vacation and Susan Lucci had taken over the role in her absence. Boy, was I disappointed. But she wasn't bad at all although her singing voice wasn't strong enough for the role. She sounded more like Peggy Lee, which isn't a bad thing at all, Peggy Lee is great but the role requires a belter.
Agreed. Within her range, Peters is great -- but Annie (AND Mama Rose!) -- is a case of miscasting. Face it, Peters is no Merman, which is no insult. You can just as easily say Merman was no Peters. Nobody can play everything. Can you imagine Merman as Mabel, or worse yet Dot? Personally, I prefer not to. (BTW, the revised PC script did the show no favor. My then 16-year old son called "Annie Get Your Gun After the Five-Day Waiting Period.")

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. Within her range, Peters is great -- but Annie (AND Mama Rose!) -- is a case of miscasting. Face it, Peters is no Merman, which is no insult. You can just as easily say Merman was no Peters. Nobody can play everything. Can you imagine Merman as Mabel, or worse yet Dot? Personally, I prefer not to. (BTW, the revised PC script did the show no favor. My then 16-year old son called "Annie Get Your Gun After the Five-Day Waiting Period.")
I was referring Lucci as Annie. I didn't see Peters. I thought my post made that clear.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Remember watching her interview with Robert Osborne on TCM and her relating how bad the MGM clique treated her because she replaced Judy Garland and hard to believe she was not even invited to the premiere!

Last edited:

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
It cracked me up when the DVD came out and "Broadway star" Susan Lucci, Bernadette's three-week vacation replacement, got to appear on the DVD special features. I saw both Bernadette and Reba in the role, and Reba was brilliant, Bernadette was a trouper but miscast.

I am sorry I didn't see it when Cheryl Ladd was brought in. Her tenure in the show was immortalized by Forbidden Broadway's acerbic "I've No Business In Show Business"

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It cracked me up when the DVD came out and "Broadway star" Susan Lucci, Bernadette's three-week vacation replacement, got to appear on the DVD special features. I saw both Bernadette and Reba in the role, and Reba was brilliant, Bernadette was a trouper but miscast.

I am sorry I didn't see it when Cheryl Ladd was brought in. Her tenure in the show was immortalized by Forbidden Broadway's acerbic "I've No Business In Show Business"
I think I actually heard that song in FB when I saw it on the same trip where I saw Reba, and I know I saw that show twice in NYC and once in London.

By comparison, Cheryl Ladd's actual voice. Pleasant to listen to, but not what I would call a belter:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks