Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: A Little Romance (Blu-ray)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 11.06.11 AM.png

NEW 2020 1080p HD MASTER!

A LITTLE ROMANCE (1979)
Run Time 110:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 2.40:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50
Special Features: Remembering Romance with Diane Lane; Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Dapper old rascal and park-bench regular Julius (Laurence Olivier) wants to make a place in our jumbled world for A Little Romance. Specifically, he aids and abets Diane Lane and Thelonious Bernard as 13-year-olds in Paris whose genius IQs are no match for the innocent spell of first love. They decide to seal their union with a sunset kiss under Venice’s Bridge of Sighs. It’s a perfectly impulsive puppy-love scheme – and a perfect trek for pied piper Julius to lead. Gracefully scripted by Allan Burns (The Mary Tyler Moore Show), overflowing with Continental charm under the direction of George Roy Hill (The Sting) and set to a sublime Oscar®-winning* score by Georges Delerue, A Little Romance will afford you a lot of pleasure.

Bernard McNair

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Bernard McNair
This is a truly delightful film and is a Day 1 for me.
Performances; cinematography and music score are all outstanding.

Reactions: Jack K

Garysb

Producer
Reaction score
Such a sweet picture. Love Laurence Olivier in the film. Love the scenery. Happy to see this released. The archive has really been hitting it out of the ballpark with its releases in the last year.

Kyrsten Brad

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Brad
I see some, not a whole lot, but some similarities to The World Of Henry Orient (1964) though I have yet to see A Little Romance (1979).

Put this one on my list.

Dick

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Rick
You can see Diane Lane's beauty as an adult blossoming quite nicely here, when she was 13-14. This was her debut film, and she was already a remarkable talent. Olivier is fun in that fussy sort of way that was his style during that period (BOYS FROM BRAZIL, DRACULA), but obviously in a much lighter role. The French boy, Thelonius Bernard, only did one other movie a couple of years later. I've always liked Arthur Hill's gentle but firm persona. Georges Delerue's score is pleasant enough. It's a good movie that I take out every so often.

Garysb

Producer
Reaction score
I see some, not a whole lot, but some similarities to The World Of Henry Orient (1964) though I have yet to see A Little Romance (1979).

Put this one on my list.
The two films would make a great double feature.

Worth

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

Put this one on my list.
Makes sense. They were both directed by George Roy Hill.

Denham

Extra
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul

Put this one on my list.

I just saw Orient for the first time a month or so back. I was hoping it would be a pleasant time killer. It was an absolutely wonderful, edifying charmer.
I'd been pining for an HD remaster of ALR for years now, and was especially hoping it would have had a 40th Anniversary release last year. Experiencing Orient for the first time was satisfying enough on it's own, it took the edge off not getting ALR.

Needless to say, I'm ecstatic at this news. Day one for this buyer!

Thanks WA!

Bill Fisher

Extra
Reaction score
Real Name
Bill Fisher
One of my favorite films ever. Just sweet, light, clever, funny, adventurous, a movie buff's delight...and a depiction of young love that reminds you of your own first crush. Have waited years for the upgrade.

Kyrsten Brad

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Brad
Did my first viewing of this film on Saturday. What a true work of cinematic art.

I mentioned earlier that it might have some similarity to The World Of Henry Orient (1964). OK not quite as much as I thought there'd be but there was resemblance here & there.

Denham

Extra
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul
Different films, different stories...but they both take the lives (and dreams, enthusiasms, fears, etc) of their young protagonists seriously and don't condescend.

There is also some thematic overlap with the children viewing how adults treat romantic impulses (overt infidelity in WoHO and a sort of tango-ing towards that, though not quite getting there, in ALR).

ALR is a sentimental favorite for me from my own childhood and it held up as well as any classic has when I got the chance to see the wonderful Bd WA put out. That said, I greatly enjoyed my first viewing of WoHO and very much look forward to revisiting it in a couple years.

As far as the WA release of ALR goes- I've got no quibbles about the missing bonus feature. It would have been nice to have, but the film is always the star to the show for me . As far as I'm concerned, they hit this one out of the park in the A/V department.

Also happy it dropped before everything went to hell as I was able to enjoy it unencumbered by any other pressing anxieties.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ar10