What's new

Warner Archive: "Popeye the Sailor (1940s) Volume 2" on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
upload_2019-5-17_15-2-58.jpeg

NEW 2019 1080p MASTERS-FROM 4K SCANS OF THE ORIGINAL NEGATIVES!

POPEYE THE SAILOR: THE 1940s-VOLUME 2 (1946-1947)

Run Time 107:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.37:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50

Here come 15 previously unreleased adventures featuring our favorite two-fisted fighter that are literally out of this world! The secret to the seaman's success is "location, location, location," and with this new collection, you'll travel with Popeye and crew into outer space, all around the globe and under the sea!

Continuing the chronological theatrical releases, this set covers the years 1946 and 1947. Popeye not only rockets to Mars, he explores the ocean deep, becomes a cowboy out West, fights pirates on the high seas and tackles wild game in Africa. He and his lady love, Olive Oyl, also find romance (and usually a Bluto-like rival) while traveling back to medieval times or exploring the fictional Middle Easter city of Badgag, as well as climbing mountain peaks in the frozen Klondike.

This is classic animation at its finest - featuring zany cartoon action from the pen of veteran Jim Tyer and powerfully dynamic direction from animation legend Bill Tytla. Packed with a punch, loaded with laughs and heaping with heart, The 1940s, Volume 2 comes to port with plenty of Popeye appeal.

Collection includes:
House Tricks?
Service with a Guile
Klondike Casanova
Peep in the Deep
Rocket to Mars
Rodeo Romeo
The Fistic Mystic
The Island Fling
Abusement Park
I'll Be Skiing Ya
Popeye and the Pirates
The Royal-Four Flusher
Wotta Knight
Safari So Good
All's Fair at the Fair

https://m.facebook.com/warnerarchive/photos/a.275238161562/10157364443591563/?type=3

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I hope Warner Archive presents Popeye The Ace of Space in frame packed 3D on blu-ray!

Does anyone know if some company somewhere has released the three double-length POPEYE special cartoons (MEETS ALI BABA, MEETS ALADDIN AND HIS WONDERFUL LAMP, MEETS SINBAD) on Blu-ray? I have the DVD's but pine for better.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Does anyone know if some company somewhere has released the three double-length POPEYE special cartoons (MEETS ALI BABA, MEETS ALADDIN AND HIS WONDERFUL LAMP, MEETS SINBAD) on Blu-ray? I have the DVD's but pine for better.
The best option is to get WA to put them as special features on future releases. WA has the quality scans from restored prints. Anyone else is likely just to release uprezed versions from the Warner dvds.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
that should leave 6 more releases to go, if i remember correctly someone on this forum or one of the others stated that the title listed for the first disc was listed as volume 1 of 8 or something like that, i hope they go back after all of this and readdress all of the Fleischer shorts with the same beautiful HD presentation. and if they were feeling generous' with Fleischer material i wouldn't mind seeing the Superman shorts get a glorious presentation either.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
I am assuming as well that this will also be made available on the DVD format as well, but there was no specific date as to when this will be released as the WBSHOP.com still doesn't have it up on their site as of this notation, but awaiting for this to also show up on Amazon, Walmart or even Deepdiscount to reflect a better pricing structure.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
It will be very interesting to see if the cut footage from Popeye and the Pirates still exists on the original negative, from which I infer these transfers are derived.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
that should leave 6 more releases to go, if i remember correctly someone on this forum or one of the others stated that the title listed for the first disc was listed as volume 1 of 8 or something like that, i hope they go back after all of this and readdress all of the Fleischer shorts with the same beautiful HD presentation. and if they were feeling generous' with Fleischer material i wouldn't mind seeing the Superman shorts get a glorious presentation either.

If they continue to do two years at a time, they can be done with the color Famous shorts in seven, with 15-17 shorts on a disc.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
It will be very interesting to see if the cut footage from Popeye and the Pirates still exists on the original negative, from which I infer these transfers are derived.

i hope these are not tampered with, and presented as they were original intended, but time to address the elephant in the room so to speak, it's Popeye the Sailor- in the 1940's and i understand the difference, along with every other intelligent person that the depictions were wrong then and now. but don't give me some Boomerang cut of the shorts and try to pass it off. trying to hide history and pretend it never happened is just as big of an offence.

Rocket to Mars - Japanese stereotype

The Fistic Mystic - Black stereotype

The Island Fling - Black African stereotype

Wotta Knight - Black stereotype and Bluto in blackface.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I know that Volume 3, should this Volume 2 set sell well, will have the following cartoons from 1948 and '49, closing out the 1940s:

1. Olive Oyl for President (color remake of the Betty Boop cartoon "Betty Boop for President")
2. Wigwam Whoopee
3. Pre-Hysterical Man (revised opening title to shorten the "Sailor's Hornpipe" theme, and added clouds to the Paramount opening logo)
4. Popeye Meets Hercules (original titles unaltered by a.a.p.)
5. A Wolf in Sheik's Clothing (original titles unaltered by a.a.p.)
6. Spinach vs. Hamburgers (anthology short; borrows footage, with original respective underscores, from "The Anvil Chorus Girl," "Pop-Pie A La Mode" and "She-Sick Sailors")
7. Snow Place Like Home
8. Robin Hood-Winked (parody of "Robin Hood")
9. Symphony in Spinach

10. Popeye's Premiere (anthology short, borrows footage from the two-reel "Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp," with new wraparounds and underscore)
11. Lumberjack and Jill
12. Hot Air Aces
13. A Balmy Swami (color remake of "The Hyp-Nut-Tist")
14. Tar with a Star
15. Silly Hillbilly
16. Barking Dogs Don't Fite (color remake of "Protek the Weakerist")
17. The Fly's Last Flight (color remake of "Flies Ain't Human")

~Ben

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I guess we can expect Vol.3 in December. Since Vol.1 was in Dec. 2018 and this took 6 months too release in June 2019. Two volumes a year ?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I guess we can expect Vol.3 in December. Since Vol.1 was in Dec. 2018 and this took 6 months too release in June 2019. Two volumes a year ?
Nothing has been announced for a volume 3. They are waiting on sales of Volume 2 so December might be a bit soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks