What's new

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes, it's not about how much a film rates, but other factors such as budgetary and film elements condition that determines which films get released on Blu-ray before others. I know some people don't want to hear that, but studios aren't much different than other companies managing their assets within a corporate environment.

Well, I get it, of course and you would think it would have sunk in after these many years that Warners isn't a philanthropic non profit organization funded by the National Endowment Of The Arts or the American Film Institute devoted to catering to classic film buffs and restoring classic films for our pleasure. Yet it seems we inevitably get the "why this when there's" whenever Warners releases a title that doesn't fit into the image of what a film company should be releasing. As I've said before, too many HTFers live in a glass bubble. Many were clamoring for some Roy Rogers (one of the most popular stars in the 1940s and early 1950s) on blu ray and Kino obliged them. Only the Rogers movies were poor sellers so there won't be anymore. Which is sad for those who love Rogers but perfect business sense for Kino. People seem to bring up more Betty Grable on blu ray (another big star from the 1940s) but her DVD box set tanked (and plans for vol. 2 never happened). What makes them think Grable on blu ray would do better than Grable did on DVD? I understand the frustration I really do but at this point I'm just grateful for any deep catalog title on blu ray!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Well, I get it, of course and you would think it would have sunk in after these many years that Warners isn't a philanthropic non profit organization funded by the National Endowment Of The Arts or the American Film Institute devoted to catering to classic film buffs and restoring classic films for our pleasure. Yet it seems we inevitably get the "why this when there's" whenever Warners releases a title that doesn't fit into the image of what a film company should be releasing. As I've said before, too many HTFers live in a glass bubble. Many were clamoring for some Roy Rogers (one of the most popular stars in the 1940s and early 1950s) on blu ray and Kino obliged them. Only the Rogers movies were poor sellers so there won't be anymore. Which is sad for those who love Rogers but perfect business sense for Kino. People seem to bring up more Betty Grable on blu ray (another big star from the 1940s) but her DVD box set tanked (and plans for vol. 2 never happened). What makes them think Grable on blu ray would do better than Grable did on DVD? I understand the frustration I really do but at this point I'm just grateful for any deep catalog title on blu ray!
Thomas, as is often the case I agree with you. Except for one point: Betty Grable. I haven't noticed her fans demanding more of her films be released on Blu-ray disc. I think we have accepted with great sorrow that she is no longer of interest to most film enthusiasts.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thomas, as is often the case I agree with you. Except for one point: Betty Grable. I haven't noticed her fans demanding more of her films be released on Blu-ray disc. I think we have accepted with great sorrow that she is no longer of interest to most film enthusiasts.
Robin and Thomas,

Unfortunately, there's just isn't enough of us willing and able to buy these classic films on Blu-ray to entice these studios to increase their budgets because the profit margins are there to justified such expenditures. I do think there are enough fans that enjoy classic films, but not enough of us that are buying these Blu-ray titles in numbers that entices the studios to increase the number of Blu-ray releases. Too many of us are satisfied with Turner Class Movies broadcasts, DVD quality and even streaming due to several circumstances. Financial constraints is one huge issue as far as discretionary funds availability, but convenience and other issues are part of it. Not a lot of room for disc storage or people satisfied with watching old movies without the benefit of 1080p as they don't see the value in it.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well, I get it, of course and you would think it would have sunk in after these many years that Warners isn't a philanthropic non profit organization funded by the National Endowment Of The Arts or the American Film Institute devoted to catering to classic film buffs and restoring classic films for our pleasure. Yet it seems we inevitably get the "why this when there's" whenever Warners releases a title that doesn't fit into the image of what a film company should be releasing. As I've said before, too many HTFers live in a glass bubble.

Well I'm not sure about that. Of course old movies are a niche product, & science fiction/horror/cult films will always sell okay (& maybe westerns too), but releasing titles like, Hell On Frisco Bay, The Loved One, The Rounders & Beyond A Reasonable Doubt tells me that Warner aren't all that bothered about sales figures. And outside of John Wayne, The Marx Brothers, Humphry Bogart & (maybe) Errol Flynn, big stars of yesterday don't count for much these days. It's just that all the time Warner sits on a large number of classic films and releases a lot of films that even some old film fans haven't even heard of, they're going to come in for some criticism, Warner should think of it as customer feedback.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well I'm not sure about that. Of course old movies are a niche product, & science fiction/horror/cult films will always sell okay (& maybe westerns too), but releasing titles like, Hell On Frisco Bay, The Loved One, The Rounders & Beyond A Reasonable Doubt tells me that Warner aren't all that bothered about sales figures. And outside of John Wayne, Humphry Bogart & (maybe) Errol Flynn, big stars of yesterday don't count for much these days. It's just that all the time Warner sits on a large number of classic films and releases a lot of films that even some old film fans haven't even heard of, they're going to come in for some criticism, Warner should think of it as customer feedback.
I don't necessarily agree with you there. The sales figures on some titles might surprise you.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't necessarily agree with you there. The sales figures on some titles might surprise you.

Oh yeah, it can only be a guesstimate on my part, but if they sold well, just think how well some of the cult/classic films would sell (Marx Brothers ect.). But again, I have no idea of sales figures, I'm just a fan begging...if only there was more of us.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Oh yeah, it can only be a guesstimate on my part, but if they sold well, just think how well some of the cult/classic films would sell (Marx Brothers ect.). But again, I have no idea of sales figures, I'm just a fan begging...if only there was more of us.
I agree with you there!

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
My take on this problem.

Studios have seldom suffered (over the long haul) from protecting and upgrading their assets. But many have lost by not doing so. Over time - resolution requirements will rise. Speeds of transmission will rise. More methods of delivery will be discovered. People will look for new (old) content. People will want more content. It has happened before - it will happen again. To assume that demands will stay the same is a mistake. To let the films rot away is a mistake. But we went through this with silent films (so many lost) and now we are going through it with talkies. Studios have a very short memory and tend to never invest in the long term.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, it can only be a guesstimate on my part, but if they sold well, just think how well some of the cult/classic films would sell (Marx Brothers etc.) But again, I have no idea of sales figures, I'm just a fan begging...if only there was more of us.

Your assumption is flawed. I bow to no man in my love of classic cinema from silents to screwball comedies to film noir etc. But I have zero interest in the Marx Brothers! I have a few on DVD but would not upgrade to blu ray as those DVDs are gathering dust on my shelves. The Marx Brothers on blu ray isn't going to make them any funnier (not to me anyway :)). Not all classic film fans are waiting for Errol Flynn, Joan Crawford (though I do have a soft spot for her post menopausal 1950s kitsch), W.C. Fields or Alice Faye on blu ray. I certainly am not. And The Green Slime, Queen Of Outer Space and The Swarm are cult films. Hey I'd love to see more Astaire & Rogers, Judy Garland and Bob Hope on blu ray but I realize the market may no longer be profitable enough to sustain an Astaire & Rogers box set or Garland's remaining musicals (Harvey Girls, The Pirate, Summer Stock etc.). My point is that even among classic film lovers, we are divided on what we like. The Marx Brothers don't interest me and I'm sure there are classic film lovers who would yawn over the announcement of an Astaire & Rogers blu ray set.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't know if this title has been brought up in this thread or not...

However, I am really, really surprised that OH GOD! has never been released on Blu-ray.

That was a big title for Warner. I know we had at least one member, back in the day, that was petitioning the studio via this forum to have that title released on the format.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robin and Thomas,

Unfortunately, there's just isn't enough of us willing and able to buy these classic films on Blu-ray to entice these studios to increase their budgets because the profit margins are there to justified such expenditures. I do think there are enough fans that enjoy classic films, but not enough of us that are buying these Blu-ray titles in numbers that entices the studios to increase the number of Blu-ray releases. Too many of us are satisfied with Turner Class Movies broadcasts, DVD quality and even streaming due to several circumstances. Financial constraints is one huge issue as far as discretionary funds availability, but convenience and other issues are part of it. Not a lot of room for disc storage or people satisfied with watching old movies without the benefit of 1080p as they don't see the value in it.
Yes, I agree. I know from personal experience that there are many people who still enjoy watching old films but, as you pointed out, they don't want a collection of discs and/or they don't want to spend money on them. My policy when upgrading to a Blu-ray disc, is to give the DVD to a friend. They are all pleased to have them. One couple in their eighties was delighted to receive my non-anamorphic DVD of Seven Brides For Seven Brothers.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
THE LAST HUNT (1956) was based on Milton Lott's novel (1954) of the same name. And from wiki:

"The Pulitzer jury selected The Last Hunt for the 1955 fiction prize, but John Hohenberg convinced the Pulitzer board that William Faulkner was long overdue for the award, despite A Fable being a lesser work of his, and the board overrode the jury's selection, much to the disgust of its members."

The upcoming release by Warner Archive was the incentive I needed to finally read the novel. The novel and movie only greatly divurge during their second halves. But, in the end, neither disappointed.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
According to a couple people that have contacted WBShop they are aware of the problem with the current sale list and are working on a correction -- stay tuned

Probably as good a place as any

The Summer 4 for $44 +Free Shipping sale is apparently a Labor Day sale this year -- Friday through Monday (assuming Monday 11:59pm some time zone)

https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-4-for-44-sale

It seems items released through December 2017 (I think Superman is still excluded) may be included:

Add 4 Sale items to your cart and the price should drop to $11 ea. EACH additional sale item should add at $11 so no need to buy them in batches of 4.

2500 titles with about 120 Blurays that I can find. I can't find a way yet to filter the BD out of the sale list.

So far Blu-rays which aren't included at 10am ET including all 4 which are in the Sale Banner so expect some changes in the list. As best as I can tell this is almost the same sale list as the March Sale
Pre-orders as expected
Anything released in 2018 as far as I can tell.
anything above regular price 21.99 -- as usual
Superman: The Movie Extended Cut

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Probably as good a place as any

The Summer 4 for $44 +Free Shipping sale is apparently a Labor Day sale this year -- Friday through Monday (assuming Monday 11:59pm some time zone)

https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-4-for-44-sale[...]
It's an unbeatable sale, to which I am glad has become traditional.
Although I do feel that Warner has missed a beat by not marketing a tie-in to one of their available titles. How about The Summer of 42 for $42. Hmmm, come to think of it, that doesn't quite work out to our advantage, does it? Never mind. Skip that one. And please proceed with your Labor Day carts to the checkout.:)

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I thought it might be instructive to this thread for me to look at the titles I’ve bought from WAC and see what patterns emerge.

I have 40 films I’ve bought from the Warner Archive, all on DVD. There’s a handful of mainstream Hollywood films, many of which I first saw on TCM and determined were good enough to own, but most are more obscure and low-profile releases, ranging from B-westerns and documentaries to Italian westerns, Japanese animation, Japanese sci-fi and Blaxploitation. 13 have Asian subjects, topics I write about frequently on my blog. Of the 40, there were 15 I’d never seen before. The years of release range from 1930 to 1975, with the majority spread out from the 1940s to the 1960s. I’ve so far written about nine of the 40 on my blog, with plans to cover several more.

My favorites among them include:
GOLD IS WHERE YOU FIND IT (1938), a Technicolor drama about gold miners vs. farmers in 19th century California;
THE UNFINISHED DANCE (1947), an MGM Technicolor dance film starring Margaret O’Brien;
THE IRON MISTRESS (1952), a historical drama about Jim Bowie starring Alan Ladd;
THREE STRIPES IN THE SUN (1955), an excellent fact-based drama about G.I’s in Japan during the Occupation;
MEET ME IN LAS VEGAS (1956), an MGM musical with some amazing guest stars;
THE SLAVE (1962), an Italian spectacle in which Steve Reeves plays the son of Spartacus;
CAPTAIN SINDBAD (1963), a made-in-Germany fantasy extravaganza starring Guy Williams;
FBI CODE 98 (1964), a very tidy B-thriller originally intended for TV;
THE YAKUZA (1975), made in Japan and starring Robert Mitchum;
and, of course, THE GREEN SLIME (1969), Kinji Fukasaku’s masterpiece about alien monsters overrunning a space station (pictured at bottom).

43477718895_3dc55ac4ed.jpg

7050867731_ff5dae183b.jpg

42576617610_2fb76a6769.jpg

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I thought it might be instructive to this thread for me to look at the titles I’ve bought from WAC and see what patterns emerge.

I have 40 films I’ve bought from the Warner Archive. There’s a handful of mainstream Hollywood films, many of which I first saw on TCM and determined were good enough to own, but most are more obscure and low-profile releases, ranging from B-westerns and documentaries to Italian westerns, Japanese animation, Japanese sci-fi and Blaxploitation. 13 have Asian subjects, topics I write about frequently on my blog. Of the 40, there were 15 I’d never seen before. The years of release range from 1930 to 1975, with the majority spread out from the 1940s to the 1960s. I’ve so far written about nine of the 40 on my blog, with plans to cover several more.

My favorites among them include:
GOLD IS WHERE YOU FIND IT (1938), a Technicolor drama about gold miners vs. farmers in 19th century California;
THE UNFINISHED DANCE (1947), an MGM Technicolor dance film starring Margaret O’Brien;
THE IRON MISTRESS (1952), a historical drama about Jim Bowie starring Alan Ladd;
THREE STRIPES IN THE SUN (1955), an excellent fact-based drama about G.I’s in Japan during the Occupation;
MEET ME IN LAS VEGAS (1956), an MGM musical with some amazing guest stars;
THE SLAVE (1962), an Italian spectacle in which Steve Reeves plays the son of Spartacus;
CAPTAIN SINDBAD (1963), a made-in-Germany fantasy extravaganza starring Guy Williams;
FBI CODE 98 (1964), a very tidy B-thriller originally intended for TV;
THE YAKUZA (1975), made in Japan and starring Robert Mitchum;
and, of course, THE GREEN SLIME (1969), Kinji Fukasaku’s masterpiece about alien monsters overrunning a space station (pictured at bottom).

43477718895_3dc55ac4ed.jpg

7050867731_ff5dae183b.jpg

42576617610_2fb76a6769.jpg

You're including DVDs, aren't you? I'm sure Meet Me In Las Vegas has not come out on Blu-ray disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks