1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

WARNER ARCHIVE - MORE QUALITY RELEASES PLEASE

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by M90GM, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I don't automatically upgrade every DVD that I have. I therefore have a fairly limited number of titles which I'd upgrade if they were released on Blu-ray.

Ryan’s Daughter
    Around the World in 80 Days
    Cheyenne Autumn
    Gaslight (‘44)
    Ivanhoe
    Knights of the Round Table (with Scope and flat versions)
    Land of the Pharaohs
    The Letter
    Operation Crossbow
    Young Bess (inc. widescreen version which apparently was re-composed for w/s, not just cropped top and bottom).

2. Message #242 of 272 Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    But Rick, what does the ending of the year have to do with anything?
    It's not as if there's any deadline or expiration date concerning any specific title.
    Releases and announcements will continue in January and thereafter.

3. RICK BOND

RICK BOND Second Unit

RICK
    PMF......I was just hoping this year for Halloween and Christmas that WBA would release some of those films i mentioned. I know there is always next year. The fans of these movies are not getting any younger WB.

Richard M S, M90GM and PMF like this.
  4. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Friendly Persuasion gets my vote for Best Film 1956. I believe it won in Cannes.

Ed Lachmann likes this.
  5. Message #245 of 272 Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    You are correct.
    "Friendly Persuasion" won The Palme d'Or in 1957.

Ed Lachmann and M90GM like this.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It was the best film that got a Best PIcture AA nomination that year, but in my opinion, it is still second to "The Searchers" as the best film in 1956, even without any AA nominations in any category.

PMF and M90GM like this.
  7. Camps

Camps Supporting Actor

Tom
    ... and, Bob, don't forget this Pete Smith Specialty (aka Third Dimensional Murder) from 1941! :)

[​IMG]

8. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

I love "Friendly Persuasion". For some reason, it seems forgotten...... I would love to see a fine Blu-ray release of that film.

Ed Lachmann, PMF and M90GM like this.
  9. M90GM

M90GM Agent

JUSTIN
    This film is much overlooked and the old DVD in the flipper case requires an upgrade for sure

Ed Lachmann likes this.
  10. M90GM

M90GM Agent

JUSTIN
    RAINTREE COUNTY
    HIGH SOCIETY
    RYAN'S DAUGHTER
    IVANHOE
    QUENTIN DURWARD
    RELUCTANT DEBUTANTE
    SAN FRANCISCO
    MAYTIME
    INTERRUPTED MELODY
    AND
    SOMETHING OF VALUE, SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME, BLACKBOARD JUNGLE, STUDENT PRINCE, ROSE MARIE, KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE, GASLIGHT, RANDOM HARVEST, BOOM TOWN, BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST, CAMILLE, CAPTAIN'S COURAGEOUS, VALLEY OF DECISION, A MAN IS TEN FEET TALL, BHOWANI JUNCTION, CIMARRON 1960, MILLION DOLLAR MERMAID, LONG LONG TRAILER, NEPTUNE'S DAUGHTER, ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO, THE YEARLING.....greedy?

Ed Lachmann and PMF like this.
  11. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Cinematographer

Anthony
    I want Fred and Ginger (all of them) for Christmas. Plus Judy Garland in For Me and My Gal, and The Harvey Girls. Errol Flynn in Captain Blood and The Sea Hawk (should be a double BD) and of course all those long-promised versions of Show Boat. Just how long ago now was it that Warners promised us Show Boat? Must be a decade ago at least!

Richard M S, TJPC and M90GM like this.
  12. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    Im not sure, but they just announced their September lineup, so next week I would think they will announced their October slate..Remember WAC tends to announce a month ahead :)

13. M90GM

M90GM Agent

JUSTIN
    and to my list above - your titles too especially For Me and My Gal & Harvey Girls in stereo hopefully.

AnthonyClarke likes this.
  14. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I agree with you. I meant Friendly Persuasion is my choice of BP among all the 1956 nominees. The Searchers remains one of my favorite movies. I saw it several times when it came out (far too young to appreciate the ambiguities of the story); and the last time I saw it on the big screen was in a gorgeous 35mm IB Technicolor print the day before my first born greeted us in 1976 (my very dear wife attended as well).

PMF likes this.
  15. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    As much as I agree with you on all those titles, especially the Astaire and Rogers movies, I do have to ask: what would make you think that would even happen, that all 10 of those movies would be out that quickly? Shout has already announced their December releases, Criterion doesn't have them (at least, not all of them, since the five WAC re-releases are still available as of this morning) and therefore couldn't release all of them, and for WAC to do it, they would essentially have to be ALL their releases on blu for the rest of the year. I could see one or two happening, but not all 10, and certainly NOT all in the same year. I know everybody says that WAC is doing right by their musicals, and I partly agree: they are giving us QUALITY releases, but the QUANTITY is falling off. So far this year, we have had two WAC musicals (I'm not counting Meet Me In St. Louis since that is a re-release). Last year, we had about four, if I'm not missing any (Bells Are Ringing, The Boyfriend, Finian's Rainbow and Brigadoon), and the previous year about five (Victor/ Victoria, Unsinkable Molly Brown, Silk Stockings, Love Me Or Leave Me and It's Always Fair Weather). While the year before that was about three from WAC, it was offset by the fact that WHV was still releasing catalog titles, and released six new-to-blu titles. My point here being that Warner is releasing FEWER musicals per year as time is going on. I certainly hope/expect they will announce one more this year through WAC, but I doubt there will be another (unless Criterion announces either the '36 Showboat or a Showboat collection, depending upon what they have licensed for December). And besides, I wouldn't want all of the Astaire-Rogers movies released all at once, anyways. For me, they would ALL be worth full price (heck, if Criterion released them individually, they'd be worth full price on Criterion's site to me. I exaggerate a little, but you get what I mean), but even if just through WAC, I couldn't even begin to afford them all at once, but I would be happy if SOMEBODY would start releasing them.

AnthonyClarke likes this.
  16. Message #256 of 272 Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Without a doubt, "The Searchers" was sorely overlooked; and certainly for its cinematography.
    As it is, I'm wondering if there's furhter picture/sound information to be elicited through an updated transfer?
    And if so, would "The Searchers" be a viable candidate for a 4K/UHD, as well?

17. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I think you'll find that a lot of people believe that an updated ( i.e. new) transfer might produce colors more in line with Mr. Ford's and Mr. Hoch's intentions.

18. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I would love to see "The Searchers" on 4K/UHD. It's my favorite film of all-time.

19. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    All of those titles would be most welcome !

20. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    Whatever happened to the Blu Ray release of "Dark of the Sun"