What's new

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't automatically upgrade every DVD that I have. I therefore have a fairly limited number of titles which I'd upgrade if they were released on Blu-ray.

Ryan’s Daughter
Around the World in 80 Days
Cheyenne Autumn
Gaslight (‘44)
Ivanhoe
Knights of the Round Table (with Scope and flat versions)
Land of the Pharaohs
The Letter
Operation Crossbow
Young Bess (inc. widescreen version which apparently was re-composed for w/s, not just cropped top and bottom).

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Four months left in 2018. The Hammer Films ? Gangster 30's & 40's ? MGM & WB 50's Adventure, Epics ??? : ( ?? No Errol Flynn again this year ??? : (
But Rick, what does the ending of the year have to do with anything?
It's not as if there's any deadline or expiration date concerning any specific title.
Releases and announcements will continue in January and thereafter.

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
PMF......I was just hoping this year for Halloween and Christmas that WBA would release some of those films i mentioned. I know there is always next year. The fans of these movies are not getting any younger WB.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Friendly Persuasion gets my vote for Best Film 1956. I believe it won in Cannes.
It was the best film that got a Best PIcture AA nomination that year, but in my opinion, it is still second to "The Searchers" as the best film in 1956, even without any AA nominations in any category.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Warner Archive: more 3-D, please!

View attachment 49443

... and, Bob, don't forget this Pete Smith Specialty (aka Third Dimensional Murder) from 1941! :)

MV5BMWZiYmU1ODctMDkzYi00MGMzLTk4YWEtZjg1MzFjYjJmODAyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDU1Mzg3ODE@._V1_.jpg

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
But, just for the record (and for this now re-located post), please list your 10 top desired.
RAINTREE COUNTY
HIGH SOCIETY
RYAN'S DAUGHTER
IVANHOE
QUENTIN DURWARD
RELUCTANT DEBUTANTE
SAN FRANCISCO
MAYTIME
INTERRUPTED MELODY
AND
SOMETHING OF VALUE, SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME, BLACKBOARD JUNGLE, STUDENT PRINCE, ROSE MARIE, KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE, GASLIGHT, RANDOM HARVEST, BOOM TOWN, BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST, CAMILLE, CAPTAIN'S COURAGEOUS, VALLEY OF DECISION, A MAN IS TEN FEET TALL, BHOWANI JUNCTION, CIMARRON 1960, MILLION DOLLAR MERMAID, LONG LONG TRAILER, NEPTUNE'S DAUGHTER, ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO, THE YEARLING.....greedy?

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I want Fred and Ginger (all of them) for Christmas. Plus Judy Garland in For Me and My Gal, and The Harvey Girls. Errol Flynn in Captain Blood and The Sea Hawk (should be a double BD) and of course all those long-promised versions of Show Boat. Just how long ago now was it that Warners promised us Show Boat? Must be a decade ago at least!

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think the Halloween titles for 2018 have pretty much all been announced, seeing as how we're only 6 weeks out. There's always 2019, for those of us still around.

Im not sure, but they just announced their September lineup, so next week I would think they will announced their October slate..Remember WAC tends to announce a month ahead :)

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
I want Fred and Ginger (all of them) for Christmas. Plus Judy Garland in For Me and My Gal, and The Harvey Girls. Errol Flynn in Captain Blood and The Sea Hawk (should be a double BD) and of course all those long-promised versions of Show Boat. Just how long ago now was it that Warners promised us Show Boat? Must be a decade ago at least!
and to my list above - your titles too especially For Me and My Gal & Harvey Girls in stereo hopefully.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
It was the best film that got a Best PIcture AA nomination that year, but in my opinion, it is still second to "The Searchers" as the best film in 1956, even without any AA nominations in any category.
I agree with you. I meant Friendly Persuasion is my choice of BP among all the 1956 nominees. The Searchers remains one of my favorite movies. I saw it several times when it came out (far too young to appreciate the ambiguities of the story); and the last time I saw it on the big screen was in a gorgeous 35mm IB Technicolor print the day before my first born greeted us in 1976 (my very dear wife attended as well).

Reactions: PMF

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
As much as I agree with you on all those titles, especially the Astaire and Rogers movies, I do have to ask: what would make you think that would even happen, that all 10 of those movies would be out that quickly? Shout has already announced their December releases, Criterion doesn't have them (at least, not all of them, since the five WAC re-releases are still available as of this morning) and therefore couldn't release all of them, and for WAC to do it, they would essentially have to be ALL their releases on blu for the rest of the year. I could see one or two happening, but not all 10, and certainly NOT all in the same year. I know everybody says that WAC is doing right by their musicals, and I partly agree: they are giving us QUALITY releases, but the QUANTITY is falling off. So far this year, we have had two WAC musicals (I'm not counting Meet Me In St. Louis since that is a re-release). Last year, we had about four, if I'm not missing any (Bells Are Ringing, The Boyfriend, Finian's Rainbow and Brigadoon), and the previous year about five (Victor/ Victoria, Unsinkable Molly Brown, Silk Stockings, Love Me Or Leave Me and It's Always Fair Weather). While the year before that was about three from WAC, it was offset by the fact that WHV was still releasing catalog titles, and released six new-to-blu titles. My point here being that Warner is releasing FEWER musicals per year as time is going on. I certainly hope/expect they will announce one more this year through WAC, but I doubt there will be another (unless Criterion announces either the '36 Showboat or a Showboat collection, depending upon what they have licensed for December). And besides, I wouldn't want all of the Astaire-Rogers movies released all at once, anyways. For me, they would ALL be worth full price (heck, if Criterion released them individually, they'd be worth full price on Criterion's site to me. I exaggerate a little, but you get what I mean), but even if just through WAC, I couldn't even begin to afford them all at once, but I would be happy if SOMEBODY would start releasing them.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Without a doubt, "The Searchers" was sorely overlooked; and certainly for its cinematography.
As it is, I'm wondering if there's furhter picture/sound information to be elicited through an updated transfer?
And if so, would "The Searchers" be a viable candidate for a 4K/UHD, as well?

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Without a doubt, "The Searchers" was sorely overlooked; and certainly for its cinematography.
As it is, I'm wondering if there's furhter picture/sound information to be elicited through an updated transfer?
I think you'll find that a lot of people believe that an updated ( i.e. new) transfer might produce colors more in line with Mr. Ford's and Mr. Hoch's intentions.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would love to see "The Searchers" on 4K/UHD. It's my favorite film of all-time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks