What's new

Pre-Order Man From Atlantis (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
MAN FROM ATLANTIS (1977)
NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER
Run Time 96:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4 X 3
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50

He’s the lone survivor of a lost civilization...thrust into ours. A giant storm tosses ashore a being who is both human and a creature from the deep. Mark Harris is the name given to him by the astonished scientists who study and protect their remarkable find. Harris is equally astonished, a fish out of water eager to learn about us. Patrick Duffy (a year before beginning his legendary run on Dallas) plays the Atlantean in the origin movie that (along with three more films) preceded the cult classic Man from Atlantis TV series. In this adventure, Harris uses his amazing underwater abilities to save mankind from a madman’s (Victor Buono) plot to launch missiles from all the world’s nuclear submarines!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Warner stop releasing junk when there are a number of quality films that you own that could be released on bluray.

Reactions: PMF

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, when it's not a film I like or want, I think, oh well, fans of these films will be very happy, but The Man From Atlantis pilot (not even the series), it can't be that many who'll say, wow, what a great surprise!

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I have never understood the executive logic behind the Warner Archive. Something like Bad Ronald gets pushed ahead of say, the original Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, or Gaslight, or any of the Val Lewton horror classics. The Man from Atlantis pilot is just another such 'filler' release - a way for the archive to advertise 'deep' catalog without actually doing the heavy lifting to remaster the gold still untouched - and likely to remain so.

Years ago, George Feltenstein commented that if he let 'collectors' dictate releases they would bankrupt the studio in no time because collectors would only be interested in releases exclusive to their particular tastes - not viable, mass market catalog that could make a fast buck. But honestly, looking at WAC's output of late, I cannot help but think they are appealing to a very niche market indeed. I have to first thank WAC (as my wallet will be fattening up, since I have zero interest buying this fluff and will spend my money on deep catalog with cache being released elsewhere - Criterion's upcoming The Heiress, for starters, and thank you Universal) and second, I want to reiterate how deeply disappointed I am in Warner's shortsightedness on what some niche executive logic clearly thinks is a classic and/or worthy of a Blu-ray release.

Love Doris Day. But The Glass Bottom Boat?!?! Why not Romance on the High Seas, the movie that kick-started Day's career and gave us the Oscar-winning "It's Magic" - an indelible moment. Oh right, it's Technicolor - another process WAC has pretty much dropped by the waste side of late. No Technicolor musicals on the horizon. So no Royal Wedding, Holiday in Mexico, Nancy Goes to Rio, That Midnight Kiss, The Toast of New Orleans, and on and on. Okay, so B&W is easier and cheaper (overall) to remaster. Well, I don't see a lot of that coming down Warner's pike either!

It's 2019 folks, not the dawn of the Blu-ray era. We need more Garbo, Garland, Gable, Tracy and Hepburn, Crawford, Davis, Flynn on Blu. Would it break the proverbial bank for WAC to begin by releasing the rest of the Best Pictures in their back catalog that have yet to find their way to hi-def?

So, The Life of Emile Zola, The Great Ziegfeld, Around the World in 80 Days. I mean, these are cultural touchstones. How about a Thin Man box set? How about more Mickey Rooney - once considered the biggest star at Metro. Heddy LaMarr, Lana Turner, Van Johnson, Esther Williams...anyone?!? Seriously?!?!? Anyone?!?!?!

PS - no offense to Patrick Duffy, but if WAC was going to remaster a series, how about Dallas - another cultural touchstone on television, far more worthy of the honor than this!

Last edited:

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I would buy GOODBYE MR CHIPS---[Peter O'Toole's performance worth the price alone] PENNIES FROM HEAVEN[ Cinematography by the great Gordon Willis] THE BUTCHER BOY[One of the best dark comedies from director Neil Jordan] SURVIVING PICASSO[ Great performance by Anthony Hopkins and directed by the great James Ivory] WHO'S LIFE IS IT ANYWAY?[ Richard Dreyfuss at the top of his game] UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE[ Wonderful film directed by Robert Mulligan] WRESTLING ERNEST HEMINGWAY[ Two of the best performances you will ever see-Richard Harris and Robert Duvall] ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE[Academy award performance from Ellen Burstyn]THE SHELTERING SKY [ directed by Bernardo Bertolucci] SHOOT THE MOON[ Albert Finney [directed by Alan Parker] LOCAL HERO. I doubt if any of these films need restoration.

Last edited:

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
Wow! What a great surprise! :mellow:

Odd that it’s just the pilot, but I’ll be having that. Like the live action Planet of the Apes series, it was a big hit here in the UK, but didn’t last long in its native land. I’ll be getting this for the nostalgia. Love the retro cover, like a Seventies novelisation.

As to why this and not “better” stuff... My guess (and that’s all it is) is that cult sci-fi has a fan base that buy these things on day one. I know this is anecdotal, but for years I’ve noticed that when older films are announced you get so many remarks along the lines of “I’ll get that in the next Barnes and Noble sale” whereas the cult fans say “Yippee! Day one purchase for me.”

I wonder if that’s why Eureka had shifted away from silent classics to cult fare of late. They know that if they put Cujo in a fancy box with a limited edition extras disc, they can put a £22 price tag on it and sell the lot in a couple of weeks.

But I digress. I’m looking forward to this release and hope the other TVMs at least get the Blu Ray treatment.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I would buy GOODBYE MR CHIPS---[Peter O'Toole's performance worth the price alone] PENNIES FROM HEAVEN[ Cinematography by the great Gordon Willis] THE BUTCHER BOY[One of the best dark comedies from director Neil Jordan] SURVIVING PICASSO[ Great performance by Anthony Hopkins and directed by the great James Ivory] WHO'S LIFE IS IT ANYWAY?[ Richard Dreyfuss at the top of his game] UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE[ Wonderful film directed by Robert Mulligan] WRESTLING ERNEST HEMINGWAY[ Two of the best performances you will ever see-Richard Harris and Robert Duvall] ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE[Academy award performance from Ellen Burstyn]THE SHELTERING SKY [ directed by Bernardo Bertolucci] SHOOT THE MOON[ Albert Finney [directed by Alan Parker] LOCAL HERO. I doubt if any of these films need restoration.

I'll add, I'd love to see the original Goodbye Mr. Chips 1939, with Robert Donat's Oscar-winning performance see a little love first. Also, MGM's version of Pride and Prejudice, along with Gaslight. I'd really like to see the Mickey/Judy musicals come out; ditto for the Astaire/Rogers catalog; and That Midnight Kiss - a personal Mario Lanza fav, along with Holiday in Mexico, A Date With Judy, and, Nancy Goes To Rio - 3 Jane Powell winners; plus Till The Clouds Roll By and Words & Music, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, All This And Heaven Too, A Woman's Face, Ivanhoe, Scaramouche (Stewart Granger version please), The Prisoner Of Zenda (Ronald Colman version, please), Minnelli's Madame Bovary, Shearer's Romeo and Juliet, and, Marie Antoinette; Flynn in The Charge of the Light Brigade, and Captain Blood - for now; oh, and Gable in Red Dust, Boom Town, Honky Tonk, China Seas and Idiot's Delight! No shortage of goodies. And this is just my short list of 'where for art thou? classics. More recent stuff I sincerely wish WAC would get around to; Jeremy Iron's Oscar-winning performance in Reversal of Fortune, and the Hugh Grant/Gene Hackman thriller, Extreme Measures.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Love Doris Day. But The Glass Bottom Boat?!?! Why not Romance on the High Seas, the movie that kick-started Day's career and gave us the Oscar-winning "It's Magic" - an indelible moment. Oh right, it's Technicolor - another process WAC has pretty much dropped by the waste side of late. No Technicolor musicals on the horizon. So no Royal Wedding, Holiday in Mexico, Nancy Goes to Rio, That Midnight Kiss, The Toast of New Orleans, and on and on. Okay, so B&W is easier and cheaper (overall) to remaster. Well, I don't see a lot of that coming down Warner's pike either!

It's 2019 folks, not the dawn of the Blu-ray era. We need more Garbo, Garland, Gable, Tracy and Hepburn, Crawford, Davis, Flynn on Blu. Would it break the proverbial bank for WAC to begin by releasing the rest of the Best Pictures in their back catalog that have yet to find their way to hi-def?

So, The Life of Emile Zola, The Great Ziegfeld, Around the World in 80 Days. I mean, these are cultural touchstones. How about a Thin Man box set? How about more Mickey Rooney - once considered the biggest star at Metro. Heddy LaMarr, Lana Turner, Van Johnson, Esther Williams...anyone?!? Seriously?!?!? Anyone?!?!?!
All of the titles you list likely require expensive restorations. It's been mentioned somewhere on this forum that restoring Around the World in 80 Days alone would cost in the million-dollar range, an amount that could never be recouped through home video, streaming and television sales. And for better or worse, Warner has a policy of not releasing anything on blu-ray that isn't in pristine shape.

My guess is that Man From Atlantis tapped into Gen-X nostalgia and sold well enough on DVD for Warner to believe that a blu-ray release would be profitable. Being a television production shot and completed on 35mm, it's probably in decent shape, as it wouldn't have been printed very often, and doesn't need much spiffing up for blu-ray.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Years ago, George Feltenstein commented that if he let 'collectors' dictate releases they would bankrupt the studio in no time because collectors would only be interested in releases exclusive to their particular tastes - not viable, mass market catalog that could make a fast buck. But honestly, looking at WAC's output of late, I cannot help but think they are appealing to a very niche market indeed.

No Technicolor musicals on the horizon. So no Royal Wedding, Holiday in Mexico, Nancy Goes to Rio, That Midnight Kiss, The Toast of New Orleans, and on and on. Okay, so B&W is easier and cheaper (overall) to remaster. Well, I don't see a lot of that coming down Warner's pike either!

As I said elsewhere, it's the genre films like Cleopatra Jones and Man From Atlantis that pay for the restorations that will eventually give us a High Society or Good News. But let's get real. Is there really a blu ray market for creaky films like The Great Ziegfeld or Life Of Emile Zola on blu ray? They may be "classics" to us (though personally I'd never buy either on blu ray, my DVDs are good enough for films I have minimal interest in) but outside of the nostalgia crowd, there's a minimal and I suspect not highly profitable market for movies like these on blu ray. Holiday In Mexico? Nancy Goes To Rio? That Midnight Kiss? They were second tier MGM musicals when they came out and they haven't improved with age. And what Hedy Lamarr and Van Johnson (who else but a small coterie of film buffs even know who they are anymore?) MGM "classics" demand to be seen on blu ray? White Cargo? I Take This Woman? Two Girls And A Sailor? Easy To Wed? I'll give you In The Good Old Summertime but that's for Garland, not Johnson. I can see blu rays of The Pirate or Summer Stock because Garland and Gene Kelly are icons and the films are actually pretty good but more Kathryn Grayson, Jane Powell, Hedy Lamarr or Mario Lanza (maybe The Great Caruso but that's it) on blu ray? Outside of the nostalgia crowd, there isn't a feasible market. Genre films like The Green Slime, Tarzan In India, Dark Of The Sun, Cleopatra Jones and Man From Atlantis to name a handful remain minimally profitable and the elements are there as they are more recent than those of Hollywood's "golden age".

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Well said Thomas and expecting WAC to do the major restoration needed to get 14 seasons of Dallas ready for Blu Ray to sell a handful of discs in a dying disc market(see Samsung will no longer make blu ray players thread) is not realistic. The elements for this show are not in good condition. Its also not a fair comparison 14 seasons roughly 350 episodes to a 96 minute pilot. If that pilot sells well WAC will probably do the one season of the show.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The first few seasons of Dallas would have been entirely completed on 35mm, but at some point in the mid-80s, post-production switched to videotape, so they'd have to go back and re-conform everything, another significant expense.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The first few seasons of Dallas would have been entirely completed on 35mm, but at some point in the mid-80s, post-production switched to videotape, so they'd have to go back and re-conform everything, another significant expense.
True but reviews of the DVD's state the picture is somewhat mediocre. Which would mean the elements would need major work to be blu ray ready.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Man From Atlantis
Like the live action Planet of the Apes series, it was a big hit here in the UK, but didn’t last long in its native land.
This show was very popular around the globe. I have a friend from Singapore who still talks about this show as his favorite from America. One man's trash is often another man's treasure and I try not to take it as a loss to mankind when a title I'm not interested in or don't think is worth the effort sees a release. I'm glad when any 70's TV series gets released on blu-ray. I'd be excited if Warner Archives released the Search pilot "Probe" on blu-ray. I bought the Man From Atlantis blu-ray to tell Warner's I'd like to see more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks