1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Warner Archive January 2018 Blu Rays

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Randy Korstick, Dec 13, 2017.

1. richardburton84

richardburton84 Stunt Coordinator

Jack
    I believe the ad in question was placed when the film was about to make its premiere on Television in the 60’s (by which point Newman was already well established in Hollywood). In all honesty, I find it very easy to see Newman discouraged people from watching it (or at least encouraged mocking the film) as aside from the Franz Waxman score, it’s not a very good film, and don’t get me started on the art direction.

2. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    Helen of Troy, A Face in the Crowd, Night of the Iguana
    The Cardinal
    , Designing Woman, Mr. Skeffington,
    Life of Emile Zola
    , The Great Ziegfeld, Blackboard Jungle
    The Man Who Came to Dinner
    , Captains Courageous,
    Cimarron ('30), Julius Caesar ('53)...just for starters. Plus some historical titles like:
    Land of the Pharaohs, Ivanhoe, The Silver Chalice or Scaramouche.

skylark68, PODER and Tony Bensley like this.
  3. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Yeah, epics & swashbucklers, fun movies, & Warner has a lot of 'em :)

skylark68 and Ed Lachmann like this.
  4. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Yes, we know Warners own a lot of great films, but how many are in sufficiently good condition to make the jump to Blu-ray without very expensive remedial work?

5. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Oh yes, I'm sure every release requires a lot of work, & I'm thinking these WAC Blu-ray releases are just a small offshoot of an extensive restoration project, it would just be nice to have these films as part of the mix, but I suppose this is the wrong thread for wanted films, as we know what's being released in January, & I'm looking forward to buying Harper, probably my first purchase of 2018.

6. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Well WA has the full specs advertisement up for Leatherface and they have never done the full specs sheet for any release more than 2 months in advance so if it isn't January it will be out in February, the same with all the titles in this thread. WA doesn't make advanced announcements for the year usually 1 month announcement, occasionally 2 months. So you don't have to worry I'm sure they have several other horror titles planned for September or October.

7. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    They did it with The Hidden - it was announced twice :)
    Im not worried at all - simply hopeful it comes sooner than later , especially with some rumors swirling around, 2018 is going to be a good year for collectors, but what year isnt ?

Randy Korstick likes this.
  8. atfree

atfree Producer

Alex
    The other site now has release dates as follows:

Harper 2/27/18
    The Drowning Pool 2/27/18
    The Hanging Tree 1/23/18
    Leatherface 2/13/18

TheSteig likes this.
  9. Message #69 of 76 Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Ah, so I won't be seeing Harper in the UK 'till the end of March, I hope there's another one or two titles announced for Jan/Feb, or it'll be the first quarter of the year gone & only one title for me. Oh well, you need to be patient to be a fan of catalogue releases, & I have a large backlog of Blu-rays to watch (mostly TV box sets).

10. greg.shoemaker

greg.shoemaker Stunt Coordinator

Gregory Shoemaker
    Now that AUNTIE MAME has been released, fulfilling one of my three WB titles from the 50s I'd like to see on BD, how about Billy Wilder's THE SPIRIT OF ST. LOUIS (with a wonderful Franz Waxman score) and John Ford/Mervyn Leroy's MR. ROBERTS (starring Jack Lemmon, James Cagney, Henry Fonda and William Powell, in 2.55:1 scope)?

11. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Glad to see animation getting some attention from the Warner Archive with Flight of the Dragons, which I've honestly never seen.

Of course, more Looney Tunes would be even better.

ChrisALM likes this.
  12. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    Of course he did. He was the "boy toy" rosy faced plaything for Virginia Mayo in the picture and not much more. Wasn't this his first major role? It was Jack Palance's showpiece, not Newman's. And Palance did a great and over-the-top job, a true joy for his fans (such as myself). The crazy unusual set pieces, the wonderful score by Franz Waxman, the gorgeous photography, that outlandish feast sequence make this film a real HOOT. Myrna Loy had to go through many "pretty face and figure" pictures, some very good ones, before she got the chance to really show her stuff, too. The Silver Chalice would make one phenomenal blu-ray. Not holding my breath, however, knowing what WB Archives prefers. Just lend it to Kino. for Christ's sake.

13. My wish list to Warner Archive:

1. The Naked Spur (1953)
    2. The Naked Spur (1953)
    3. The Naked Spur (1953)

;-)

Anthony Mann's superb western with incredible performances by Jimmy Stewart and Robert Ryan.

The 2006 DVD, obviously from an analog source, is a shame.

14. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    Ive heard some rumors/read some rumors about Criterion possibly having The Naked Spur..whether or not it's true or *fake news* I cannot say.
    I really hope 2018 we will see from WAC or WHV more Bette Davis movies, The Thin Man series, High Sierra, The Lady in the Lake, They Drive By Night, The Black Scorpion and The Giant Behemoth

warnerbro likes this.
  15. RICK BOND

RICK BOND Second Unit

RICK
    I hope too see some 1930's, 40's', and 50's classics released on Warner Archive in 2018 ! Bogart, Cagney, Robinson, and Flynn. Also ...Day's of Wine and Roses (1962) is looooooooooong over due. : ( ?? The rest of the Hammer Films also please. Thank You

TheSteig likes this.
  16. OliverK

OliverK Producer

One has to find it quite ironic that the two Mann Stewart collections that always come out close to the top or at the top when somebody lists the movies they did together have not been released yet. 4 of their movies have seen a release to my knowledge so it is about time that we now also get Winchester 73 and The Naked Spur.