What's new

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I have that Archive DVD and never watched it as it looked so bad.
It was one of the early ones that taught me to not buy too many of them unless I really need to see a movie badly enough.

The Blu-ray is indeed very unexpected and I like the movie a lot, one of his late and darker western roles and one of my favorites along with Link Jones in Man of the West. Love that score, too and the very strong supporting cast.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I dont know if these are January 2018 or if they are just coming in 2018 but Im in for TCM III as long as it's uncut like the DVD. You will read that pretty often from other fans :D
They have been releasing 4-6 titles plus a tv show or two for awhile. This is 5 titles and 2 tv shows so this should be January. But the way they worded is not clear to be sure.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'd like The LIfe and Times of Judge Roy Bean also.

Yup, Harper & Roy Bean are on all my Warner wants lists, so fingers crossed for Roy Bean. I really do enjoy these mid-month announcements, a bit of hopeful anticipation, followed by disappointment & occasional joy!

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Yup, Harper & Roy Bean are on all my Warner wants lists, so fingers crossed for Roy Bean. I really do enjoy these mid-month announcements, a bit of hopeful anticipation, followed by disappointment & occasional joy!

I am happy that Warner is continuing to support WAC and appears to keep the titles flowing in 2018.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
that sounds a lot like a Yogi Bera saying, like "No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded."
Like the quote from that Woody Allen movie: "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions."

Funny quotes aside I have started or sampled a number of movies and then decided not to watch them due to bad picture quality, must be about two dozen DVD's and Blu-ray's by now. One of them was The Hanging Tree that I checked immediately when I got it and I was rather disappointed with what I saw. I am happy that I did not feel the urge to watch it anyway as now a much better version will be released.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Not interested in these. Hoping for more real classics from the 40s and 50s.
Not sure that there are that many left that Warners owns and where they also are prepared to spend the amount of money that it takes to release them to Blu-ray in Warner Archive Quality (i.e.. very good).

Do you mind sharing the top 5 or 10 unreleased "real" classics that you are thinking of?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
When I think of "real classics", for some reason I think b/w. A lot of the titles on my WAC wants lists are just fun films & good examples of what they are, like: Scaramouche, Land Of The Pharaohs, The Last Of Sheila & The Life & Times Of Judge Roy Bean. When I think of real classics I'm thinking Marx Brothers Opera/Races, Angels With Dirty Faces, Gold Diggers of 1933, All That Money Can Buy, The Bad And The Beautiful, maybe The Sea Hawk & maybe the first two Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan films, all requiring a fair bit of work I'm sure. As I've posted, I do love these regular mid-month announcements, no other studios do it.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Not sure that there are that many left that Warners owns and where they also are prepared to spend the amount of money that it takes to release them to Blu-ray in Warner Archive Quality (i.e.. very good).

Do you mind sharing the top 5 or 10 unreleased "real" classics that you are thinking of?

Given that Warner Archive usually release on Blu-ray disc those films which already looked pretty good on DVD - The Hanging Tree being a major exception to that rule - I would suggest that Across The Pacific and Now, Voyager are obvious candidates for a Blu-ray release.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom

A 3D blu ray of 1954's Phantom of the Rue Morgue, with an extra of the 1941 MGM Pete Smith short Third Dimensional Murder. George Feltenstein, please call Bob Furmanek. :)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Thanks all for your input regarding "real" classics, I guess this is more of personal likes and dislikes at this point as there is not exactly another Gone with the Wind or Casablanca waiting to be released.

For me The Hanging Tree is such a favorite that I would not have expected to see on Blu-ray anytime soon and among those that were mentioned in the last posts another one that I would LOVE to see released is Land of the Pharaohs, this movie needs to be out on Blu-ray for its spectacular cinematography.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks