What's new

Warner Archive: Horror of Dracula on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This part is the best news on this release:
"Warner Archive’s new release restores the original color palette of the film, using dye-transfer Technicolor prints as reference, and has been meticulously cleaned of film-related damage for a superior presentation"

I have the UK blu ray which is nice with good extras but all the import Blu Rays have faded and dull color instead of the rich Technicolor that it should have.
1.75:1 would have been the perfect ratio though.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They've commented on FB:

We didn't see any cold color palette in the dye-transfer archival print we used as reference. We have made substantial changes in the color that are far from cold and blue! The image has been thoroughly cleaned of film damage as well. We think these improvements will be appreciated. Thanks.

They have, however, ignored my comment re the AR. Sigh...

I'm wholly convinced that (not for the first time) the Bfi are wrong regarding the AR, and Warner are simply falling in step. When they couldn't turn up any evidence regarding NIGHT OF THE DEMON (though it was and is out there) the Bfi decided on 1.75:1 based on 'best practice' at the time. It's inconceivable that one year later 1.66:1 would have been the primary AR.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Why exactly would it be disappointing that they've stuck with the ORIGINAL aspect ratio? I thought original intent was what this website was all about.

Exactly. When I saw this on a re-issue bill with CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, both films were presented with a 1.66:1 ratio. I remember this because, in the White Plains theater where I saw them, they actually electronically lifted the black matte from the top of the screen, which for the previews had been 1.85:1, so the prints must have been identified for operators to be presented at 1.66:1. I love the shape of that ratio, and it works to perfection for many of the Hammer Films. Even if 1.78:1 was the ratio originally intended by Terence Fisher, it looks splendid at 1.66.

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I don't like the BFI transfer, far too cool for me, so I hope the Archive release has a bit of Hammer colour, otherwise, no sale.
I wholeheartedly agree. My memory of seeing a BFI dye-transfer Technicolor print at MOMA in the mid 1980's is that the color temperature was a whole lot warmer, so those colored lights of red and blue that ripple across the walls of the Count's dinning room in the beginning of the film were way more prominent. Then again, Warner's Blu-Ray of THE MUMMY brought out those colored washes that DP Jack Asher preferred to the maximum level of brilliance, so there is hope.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Then again, Warner's Blu-Ray of THE MUMMY brought out those colored washes that DP Jack Asher preferred to the maximum level of brilliance, so there is hope.

Wait, did I miss something here? Is the Warner blu-ray of THE MUMMY better than the UK one?

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I have the UK Dracula Bluray for a few years now. I hope this has the US titles in Red at the opening....Horror of Dracula. Not Dracula the UK version. That's why I still kept the old WB dvd.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I have the UK Dracula Bluray for a few years now. I hope this has the US titles in Red at the opening....Horror of Dracula. Not Dracula the UK version. That's why I still kept the old WB dvd.
The version available on iTunes has the Horror of Dracula title.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
That's their older transfer, the same as what runs on TCM.

You mean the version that used to run on TCM.

Last month (October 2018) TCM-HD ran a new and truly HD version -- It was a big surprise and I am doubly surprised that so little has been said about it. I am keeping it on my DVR.

It is warmer, more vivid, and more like my childhood memory of the film. In addition, it is more like an IB Technicolor print that a friend of mine here in NC projected for me a few yearsago.

I think last month's TCM-HD presentation is from the new Warner restoration (although TCM-HD aired it in 1.78, but as Hammer Films Phantom of the Opera restoration by Universal Pictures has also aired at 1.78 yet released on Blu-ray at 2.00, broadcast aspect-ratio has varied from what we get on Blu-ray -- I will say that 1.78 for Horror of Dracula on TCM-HD did look a bit tight, and I see no problem with 1.66)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

Last month (October 2018) TCM-HD ran a new and truly HD version -- It was a big surprise and I am doubly surprised that so little has been said about it. I am keeping it on my DVR.)
The current iTunes version is HD. It looks very good to me, but I can't compare it to the UK disc, as I haven't seen that one.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

Last month (October 2018) TCM-HD ran a new and truly HD version -- It was a big surprise and I am doubly surprised that so little has been said about it. I am keeping it on my DVR.

It is warmer, more vivid, and more like my childhood memory of the film. In addition, it is more like an IB Technicolor print that a friend of mine here in NC projected for me a few yearsago.

I think last month's TCM-HD presentation is from the new Warner restoration (although TCM-HD aired it in 1.78, but as Hammer Films Phantom of the Opera restoration by Universal Pictures has also aired at 1.78 yet released on Blu-ray at 2.00, broadcast aspect-ratio has varied from what we get on Blu-ray -- I will say that 1.78 for Horror of Dracula on TCM-HD did look a bit tight, and I see no problem with 1.66)

I believe it has the "Horror of Dracula" main title, though.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I believe it has the "Horror of Dracula" main title, though.

Yes, it does. Aired Oct 10.

I have the UK Blu-ray (and I have seen that version theatrically when shown in 2015 at the Carolina Theater in Durham NC), but I have not seen the iTunes. This TCM-HD was superior to any previous airing of Horror of Dracula on their channel. I really like the vivid color on the recent TCM showing over the cold pale blue of the UK Blu-ray.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I pre-ordered at the DeepDiscount price minus the 15% off on their sale which ends afternoon on Friday.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
There was much controversy concerning the color timing of the BFI restoration. I've never had a problem with it, but it will be interesting to see what Warner Brothers does to it. I'm sure that there will be those who prefer the UK transfer, and those that will insist that the American transfer is superior. I haven't seen the latest TCM HD version.

However one feels, the UK set is still worth obtaining for it's many extras. I would imagine that the coming Warner Brothers BD will be pretty much bare bones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks