1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Warner Archive: Gaslight (1944) on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by richardburton84, May 17, 2019.

1. Message #1 of 61 May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    richardburton84

richardburton84 Stunt Coordinator

Jack
    upload_2019-5-17_17-11-51.

NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER FROM 4K SCAN!

GASLIGHT(1944)

Run Time 114:00
    Subtitles English SDH
    Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
    Aspect Ratio 4 X 3 FULL FRAME, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.37:1
    Product Color BLACK & WHITE
    Disc Configuration BD 50
    Special Features: Original 1940 British Version (SD) and 1946 Lux Radio Theatre Broadcast starring Bergman and Boyer ; Reflections on Gaslight (featuring Angela Lansbury)-a Reminiscence by Pia Lindstrom About Her Mother, Ingrid Bergman; 1944 Academy Award® Ceremonies Newsreel; Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Lights flicker and dim. Footsteps sound from a sealed-off attic. Mysterious events only vulnerable young Paula sees and hears make her fear she’s losing her mind — exactly what treacherous spouse Gregory hopes. Directed by George Cukor, Gaslight shines as a superb exercise in suspense. Ingrid Bergman won her first Academy Award®* as Paula, doubting her sanity while clinging to it. Fellow Oscar® nominee Charles Boyer skillfully plays against type as smoothly evil Gregory. Joseph Cotten, Dame May Whitty and an 18-year-old Angela Lansbury in her movie debut (also capturing an Oscar® nomination) help make the Victorian era vividly realized through production design that earned an Academy Award®.

ponset, B-ROLL, Kirk76 and 18 others like this.
  2. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Supporting Actor

Yes!!!!!! I just finished watching Under Capricorn and couldn’t help wondering why Gaslight was not on bluray (I thought Warner Archives was going to release right after The Picture of Dorian Gray - don’t ask
    me why, but I always associate the two movies). Well, as soon as I was finished with the movie, I enter facebook and voila, what a wonderful surprise!!! Cannot wait to have this one in my hands!

moviebuff75, PMF, Mark-W and 2 others like this.
  3. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    So happy!!!!

PMF, Mark-W and LeoA like this.
  4. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Here's a chance for all those complaining about no 30's or 40's classics being released by WAC to prove to WAC that these titles will sell. If you want more of these released don't wait for a 4 for $44 sale. Those "schlock b movies" sell on release date as they have a big cult following that buy them.

battlebeast, PMF, TheSteig and 8 others like this.
  5. stevenHa

stevenHa Stunt Coordinator

Was a release date announced ?

6. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Very happy about this release. And yet, the superior 1940 version is only available in SD on this disk. For an HD transfer one must go to the UK and get their wonderful release. Missed opportunity for Zone A!

Douglas R and dana martin like this.
  7. Mike2001

Mike2001 Second Unit

Mike
    Yeah! Day one for me.

battlebeast and PMF like this.
  8. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    Very excited about this one!

PMF and Mark-W like this.
  9. Message #9 of 61 May 17, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This is a June release with the actual release date announced shortly.

11. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

I love these monthly same day announcement that I flip back and forth checking to see what is announced, so much so that I put this comment in the Corvette Summer thread

Oh I just knew Gaslight would be released on bluray. The film may be 75 years old but the theme has once again become so very...contemporary. Above all, it is still a suspenseful film with terrific performances.

Tony Bensley, albert_m2 and PMF like this.
  12. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    Actually I would have thought that this one in the 1940 version both would have been turned over to Criterion and been released as a double feature. As is I'm ecstatic about this and drooling at the Prospect and no I will not wait for a 4 for $44 this is pre-ordered as soon as it goes live thank you WAC

13. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I'd recommend the 1940 British version of this story any day over this overly-slick Hollywood edition.

David_B_K likes this.
  14. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Again, we'll have to differ, Dick. I like the 1940 version quite a bit but I still find the 1944 version superior. Mostly because of Ingrid Bergman's superb performance which was justifiably honored with an Oscar. Diana Wynard in the 1940 version is fine but she doesn't plumb the psychological depths of Bergman's unraveling wife. Plus Angela Lansbury's saucy maid has it all over her 1940 counterpart Catherine Cordell. Plus the 1944 version is dripping with atmosphere and a true sense of dread which the 1940 lacks.

Vegas 1, Nick*Z, Will Krupp and 5 others like this.
  15. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Very glad about this announcement, not only for the film itself but perhaps it will at least keep the Warner Archives blu ray complainers quiet for awhile (though I doubt it :)). Okay, Warners, you've done your duty, now bring on the horror/sci-fi/peplum pulp!

Robin9 and Peter Apruzzese like this.
  16. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Anton Walbrook. Now that's a villain! I vote with Dick. The Dickinson version is tighter, missing the comedy relief of Dame May, and the "romantic" angle of Cotten. However, I agree with you about Lansbury. I admire both performances by the leading actresses, but I'll take Walbrook over Boyer.

Dick and RMajidi like this.
  17. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    Ah, but what would you do with yourself if you couldn't complain about the complainers? You'd lose your favourite pastime! ;)

18. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

:lol: I'll stop if they stop!

PMF and Andrew Budgell like this.
  19. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    Well, since everyone is putting in their two cents worth, guess I'll toss mine in as well. In general, I prefer the British version, which I already have on Region B Blu. Though I love Cukor, I think the British version is better directed; tauter with a feeling of dread just under the surface of things. It's not as grand as the MGM, everything is a bit seedy and stifling, and that is closer to the play, which I saw as a 12 year old and fell in love with. Some of you may scream, but I find Ingrid Bergman much too over the top. Yes, it's virtuoso acting, but it's clear she's acting. It's all too theatrical, and not especially believable in terms of the character she's supposed to be playing. I don't believe Ingrid Bergman has ever really seen hard times as she flys off the handle too easily. Diana Wynard, on the other hand, plays it much closer to the bone. There's a shrouded silence and sense of quiet desperation about her performance that I find believable. She's someone I could imagine meeting in the street. Yes, there's a fanciful theatricality about the Cukor that's entertaining, but it's not what I would call good. Now Joseph Ruttenberg's photography, on the other hand, is sublime, which is why I'll be getting the WB Blu immediately. I don't know that I need to mention that Boyer doesn't hold a candle to Walbrook, plus the plot is changed a bit in the MGM, so all that running around Boyer does in the middle of the night seems less plausible for me.

It's a high point for MGM in the 40's, and irresistible eye-candy, but I prefer to watch the British
    version. Still, I can't wait to get my hands on the WB Blu!

Danny Burk, Brent Reid and Dick like this.
  20. Trancas

Trancas Stunt Coordinator

Eric
    I like my eye candy.
    gaslight1.
    GaslightA copy.
    Diana Wynard's face is a painted mask.
    Ingrid Bergman is just breathtakingly real.

ponset, DavidJ, LeoA and 4 others like this.