What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Charles H
Bonnie Bedelia is on the cover of THEN CAME BRONSON. My guess is that it will be the two hour tv movie that served as the pilot for the series.
What is the print quality like for Then Came Bronson, and is it uncut? I'm assuming the aspect ratio is fullscreen? What are the chances of the remainder of the TV series Along Came Bronson being released as a Warner Archive title?

Is Hide in Plain Sight (1980) uncut and remastered?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
"The prices aren't coming down at WAC..." They just had a huge sale, with smaller ones fairly frequently. The others need to rethink their pricing but the Archive is pretty good about this. And there is, and will be, plenty of stuff in there that will never be released elsewhere.

BRONSON is in good shape. It's the extended European version of the pilot episode, which contains a bit of nudity. As for the show who knows?

I can only assume PLAIN SIGHT is the theatrical release. The packaging doesn't indicate remastering but the Archive's more recent titles tend to be strong.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
MARLOWE, which is pretty lousy all in all, will just about complete the Philip Marlowe films on DVD (not including THE FALCON TAKES OVER). The only one still MIA and not looking to be coming out anytime soon due to rights issues of some sort, is THE BRASHER DOUBLOON (based on Chandler's THE HIGH WINDOW). That one is the only Marlowe I still need to see. I have found sellers who offer it, but at too high of a price for what is most likely a recording from a broadcast station back in the days of The Late Late Show. Or was it released on VHS?
As for the Archive, I wonder if they will ever release a package of the S.S. Van Dine Dr. Crabtree/Inspector Carr Vitaphone shorts. I would love to have all of those.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
The one copy I saw of THE BRASHER DOUBLOON was from AMC (back when they were really good, no commercials and a watermark that only popped up occasionally. It may have aired only once before being pulled for whatever legal reason.
I have head that Eddie "Czar of Noir" Muller" recorded an audio commentary for the film (probably for Fox), but the disc and the film are still off limits.
There was no VHS release, or any home video release, to my knowledge.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Thanks for the info, Jobla. So it looks like the copies out there may be from the AMC airing. Hmm, it might be at least watchable in that case. Something to think about while the rights issues continue their reign.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Got my 6 movie order today. My first.

UNDER THE RAINBOW. Boy, grainy and ugly! Still...an improvement over my old VHS. Glad I didn't pay over $10 for it though. Hopefully they'll do a little work on this one and reissue it. I guess Chevy will have to die for that to happen.

also got:
Phantom Tollbooth
Outlaw Blues (pleasantly surprised this seems to be in widescreen and not full as listed)
Carny
Gilda Radner Live!
Being Human

Still wishing I'd gotten Cracking Up with the others...but there should be other sales in the future.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Today's new releases:
http://yfrog.com/z/h4cig3j

Remastered:

Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd (1952)
Rio Rita (1942)
Don't Make Waves (1967)
The Impossible Years (1968)
Merry Andrew (1958)

TV/Animation:

Chuck Norris: Karate Kommandos

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
They sure did sneak out Abbott & Costello Meet Captain Kidd - Ordered. Rio Rita - Ordered. The Impossible Years - Ordered. I have been waiting for The Impossible Years for what seems an impossible long time or for years. Thanks for the April's Fool Warner's, that turned out not to be an April's Fool.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Captain Kidd?? Fantastic! I just recently got on an Abbot and Costello kick and learned about this one for the first time, also learning it was unavailable. This is wonderful news.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill
BRONSON is in good shape. It's the extended European version of the pilot episode, which contains a bit of nudity. As for the show who knows?

I can only assume PLAIN SIGHT is the theatrical release. The packaging doesn't indicate remastering but the Archive's more recent titles tend to be strong.
Many thanks. I didn't know there was an extended version of the pilot episode. And regarding Hide in Plain Sight (and yes this is off-topic), a CD soundtrack has been released recently for the film. It's been paired with Telefon.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Originally Posted by Charles H
The shipping isn't free--for 4 dvds the cost is $2.50. April Fools?
Same thing happened to me this morning... I emailed Customer Service, received an email apology within an hour, and my order was credited.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Any chance of the Archive releasing thier remaining Elizabeth Taylor filme (other than RAINTREE COUNTYof course) : JULIA MISBEHAVES, THE BIG HANGOVER, and the particularly elusive BEAU BRUMMELL once mistakenly announced in the early days of the Archive? It would also be nice to get official versions of THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS and FATHER'S LITTLE DIVIDEND. I suppose that a megaset of Taylor's WB titles is out of the question since the possibility of the Garland megaset evaporated with recent Garland releases from the Archive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks