1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

I got $100 worth of movies. This is my first time actually buying something from them. I was holding out cause I thought they'd do the value pack sets again, but I can see they're not gonna do that, so I finally gave in and plus it's a good deal. Wish I could buy $1000 worth lol.

I bought:

-The Opposite Sex
    -Once Upon A Honeymoon
    -Escape
    -When Ladies Meet
    -Confessions of A Nazi Spy
    -The Man I Love
    -The Gangster
    -Susan Lenox
    -Cass Timberlane
    -Story of Three Loves
    :

2. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

The Warner Archives Facebook page apparently suspended my posting privelages. I guess it stems from when I expressed my disappointment of them dumping the remaining Judy Garland films in the Archives and not giving them a legit release.

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    There were a lot of us that were unhappy about that!

4. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

5. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    Some interesting quotes from the interview:

"We have upped our standards significantly for WAC. People are asking for some of their favorite [Bette] Davis or Humphrey [Bogart titles]. We won't release them unless we can remaster them."

"We've already remastered a handful of our original releases [from two years ago]. We will make special arrangements for consumers who supported us to obtain the remastered versions at a very minimal price in about a month. There are 8 or 10 of them coming."

That's nice news, especially the making special arrangements part for consumers who bought the older versions.

I still think Warner jumped the gun when they introduced this program 2 years ago; it was too ahead of its time. They should have waited until they were able to release each and every film with at least a new remastering. Hopefully this will be their long range goal.

6. Marcel H.

Marcel H. Supporting Actor

Marcel
    Icing on the cake would be if they mark those discs that are getting a Remastered Edition. I would be annoyed if a buy one of these non-remastered discs now and a couple months later, a better version is available.

Feltenstein avoided the Harlow topic again, btw. ;)

7. Stagecoach

Stagecoach Agent

Ronald Blalock
    Mr Feltenstein also stated in his interview:

" We're putting out a lot of things that were never out on VHS. Monogram cowboy sets, more Vitaphone [shorts], Pete Smith, Fitzpatrick TravelTalks."

Please Mr Feltenstein give us b western fans all 66 of the Johnny Mack Brown Monogram b westerns as sets.

8. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott
    Slightly off topic, but I thought his comments regarding classics on Blu was very revealing.

9. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Very enlightening regarding the future of the Archive and Retail titles.

"We've given "The Great Caruso,'' a title that skews older, as an exclusive to Critics Choice Video. Movies Unlimited [which also operates TCM's retail site] will be getting our first two Jeanette MacDonald-Nelson Eddy titles, "Naughty Marietta'' and "Sweethearts,'' as exclusives next month. "

So there is going to be some exclusive releases to other sites? Explains the MacDonald-Eddy situation. Never knew about Caruso being released.

"We're now using some dual-layer discs that give us a good bit rate for longer titles. On some titles, we had to leave trailers off because it would drop the bit rate. "

Explains why trailers have seemingly randomly appeared on the DVDs so far.

Also, with the optimism depicted regarding newfound interest in the studio in clearing music rights issues and the popularity of their Hanna-Barberra releases, could this lead to a future WA release of some of the more popular series , unreleased due to the old issues?

10. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Very revealing, indeed. Oh sure, there's the usual suspects like Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, Wizard Of Oz and The Searchers but somehow I don't think well be seeing Out Of The Fog. Strawberry Blonde, The Reluctant Debutante or The Command in blu ray in my life time.

11. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Thanks for posting that interview link. I never would have seen the article otherwise, and I really enjoyed reading it.

12. ShowsOn

ShowsOn Second Unit

Simon Howson
    The copy of The Swan I received is a dual layer disc that uses about 6.5 GB (most single layer W.A. discs use around4 GB). And that film is only 108 minutes long. It would be great if anything over 100 minutes (including trailers) was put on a dual layer disc.

13. Marcel H.

Marcel H. Supporting Actor

Marcel
    Madam Satan is a dual layer, too.

14. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

For some reason, this doesn't surprise me one bit. They've completely dropped the ball on this and really let the fans down, imho. I also find nothing wrong with holding studios at their word. Mr. Feltenstein's lack of a statement on Harlow tells me that it's probably in danger of not happening AGAIN, so he's probably just playing it safe. At this stage, they should just release them into the archives remastered so the public can at least enjoy the films. I really am getting tired of this on and off Harlow issue with them and have personally been focusing my efforts on getting her films shown on the big screen in the Los Angeles area and campaigning for a retrospective at the UCLA Film archive this summer. This centennial is really turning out great for a lot of her fans, despite the lack of Warner's participation in any of the festivities thus far. So in a nutshell, given WHV's track, I'm not surprised at all by Mr. Feltenstein's comments (or lack thereof).

15. Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland Second Unit

I received the notice for the 5 for 50 sale, and I just now took the time to peruse the selection. I have purchased now and again from the Archive, but have not been following the releases closely of late. There are really quite a few movies now offered, aren't there? When I clicked on the 5 for 50 link, it took me to 5 web pages of films. Are these all the films currently available, or a selected set of films? I had read that Don Juan was offered for sale through the archive, but I do not see it. In addition, I just received in the last week or so a notice saying that two Garland movies (Little Nellie Kelly I think was one?) and they are not there. The Silent selection was a little sparse- It seems that there are more silents offered through the Arcive.

Nonetheless, I am a little overwhelmed with what to buy- Before I do however, I wanted to see if those 5 pages are the only titles available on the 5 for 50 sale. Any help you can give me will be appreciated-

Thanks-

PS- Will Andy Hardy or Dr. Kildare movies ever see the light of day, either through the Archive or otherwise?

16. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

It's a selection of 766 titles. A good way to catch up on a lot of what's in there.

17. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    Yeah there are 48 pages of titles and I agree with Bob in that it is a great way to catch up.

18. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

(5 pages if you select "View All." And if you know what you're looking for it's best to sort them by letter rather than wade through via bestselling, though that is interesting. Someone buy DONDI and release him from last place.)

19. Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland Second Unit

Thanks for the help folks- Obviously it is not all fllms available. I bought 5 that I have wanted, but not bad enough to pay 20.00 for- In addition, the free shipping is a bonus. Great sale for sure-

Now, again, what is the status on Andy Hardy or old Doc Kildare? Will they see the light of day?

20. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    Got to be careful with the Warner people and mentioning these codes. All the birthday codes now no longer work; they come up expired.
    SAVINGS still works. But if you put it in during this sale, all the items revert to their original price and there's no way to remove the code unless you restart your computer. It's sort of like a punishment for daring to ask for even more off. No sale for me!