What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (1 Viewer)

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Oh, yeah, so glad to see Warner Archive issuing some more musicals. Because you can't ever get to see MGM musicals on TCM (!?)

What about FBI CODE 98 ('63)? What about THE COUCH ('62)? How about some real rarities?

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I certainly hope that THE COUCH (1962) and THE BLACK ZOO (1963) will be considered for Halloween this year. WA did just release Blake Edwards' WILD ROVERS, so hopefully they're aware that Edwards co-wrote THE COUCH.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Originally Posted by Jobla
I certainly hope that THE COUCH (1962) and THE BLACK ZOO (1963) will be considered for Halloween this year. WA did just release Blake Edwards' WILD ROVERS, so hopefully they're aware that Edwards co-wrote THE COUCH.
I would purchase "The Couch" solely on the basis that Blake Edwards co-wrote it. Edwards' films that he directed have been criminally overlooked on DVD and Blu-ray. (Paramount, for example, has still never released his excellent Peter Gunn film entitled "Gunn" in any format - no VHS, laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray, or download of that terrific film to date.) Perhaps the fact that Edwards passed away recently will inspire people to re-examine his fascinating body of work.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Pre- Orders up for next week:

THE RISE AND RISE OF MICHAEL RIMMER (1970)
SOME MOTHER'S SON
USED PEOPLE
THE LAST DINOSAUR
THE SQUEEZE

PT 109 (to be released 5/22)

Good news for the people that wanted some 70's & 90's titles.

Thanks Bob

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Are Arthur Hailey's Hotel (1967), Crescendo (1972) and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973) uncut and remastered?

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I'd certainly like to see GUNN released. THE COUCH (co-written by Edwards) and THE BLACK ZOO are two more films that haven't ever surfaced on VHS, laserdisc, or DVD.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by WaveCrest
Are Arthur Hailey's Hotel (1967), Crescendo (1972), Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973) uncut and remastered?
Crescendo is the uncut european version. Don't think its remastered but it looks excellent. Haven't seen the other two.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Hot damn! THE LAST DINOSAUR! That was in that list of flicks I posted on their Facebook page a while back; guess they did own it after all. I've learned it WILL be the UNCUT version. The run time Warner states on their site is 106 minutes, IMDB states that is the correct run time for the uncut version. The US Version runs 95 minutes.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Were there cuts to HOTEL? The Archive's runs 125 minutes.

The one film is actually called THE RISE AND RISE OF MICHAEL RIMMER and it was never released here, despite a cast that includes Peter Cook, John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Arthur Lowe, and Harold Pinter, who was a decent actor, too.

Also, GUNN is available on Netflix Instant Streaming.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by WaveCrest
Are Arthur Hailey's Hotel (1967), Crescendo (1972), Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973) uncut and remastered?
The HOTEL transfer is top notch. It is not listed as remastered, but the colors are great for a 1960's film and it is widescreen anamorphic and all indications give me the feeling that it is uncut. DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK is one of the worst transfers I have seen in the Warner Archive. It appears to be taken from an old 1 inch tape master and since it was a TV film it could very well be. I understand that Warner's has this on the remastered list and we may see an upgrade, but I bought mine and will not go to the well on that one again, even though it is one of my favorite scary films. I don't know anything about CRESCENDO in that the transfer is pretty good.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I've been wanting to see SOME MOTHER'S SON for awhile now so this is good. An excellent British cast, directed by Terry George (Hotel Rwanda) and co-written by Jim Sheridan (In America). Should be interesting to compare with Steve McQueen's HUNGER.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
b6361af3_2945210.jpg

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The Last Dinosaur was a co-production by Rankin-Bass and a Japanese film company. It was released in theaters in Japan and Europe with a runtime of 106 minutes and was planned for theatrical release in the US too but was cancelled and then sent directly to TV on ABC. To fit it in the 2 hour TV time slot it was cut to 95 minutes. Its a shame it wasn't released to theaters in the US as its actually a pretty good movie. I saw it twice in the late 70's on ABC and haven't seen it since and I have never seen the 106 minute version so this will be a treat. My copy has already been ordered at 17% off.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Sadly, this sale doesn't seem to include any of the titles released this month. The new Bogart and Bacall titles don't qualify.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Also, from the older releases both Four Daughters and I Love Melvin have new covers that say newly remastered. Have they been reissued with new masters?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks