1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MovieMaven61

MovieMaven61 Auditioning

ed
  2. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    Yep, Warner was not ready to release this yet. I understand they haven't finished it yet.

3. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    I would love to see Warner release a Vitaphone Broadway Brevities collection, with the Hal Le Roy shorts and others, ones like Private Lesson (1934) and The Winnah! (1934).

4. rkirk

rkirk Auditioning

Robert
    Has anyone noticed a problem with the music soundtrack on Silver River? A couple of reels about 3/4 of the way into the film have music that fades in and out. Maybe just a flaw in my disc. Thanks for the input.

5. Message #5685 of 5760 Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    I recall Warner saying once that the delay in Silver River coming to home video was a flaw in the soundtrack. Maybe it was impossible to fix and they just put out what they could?

6. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    That doesn't sound like them.

7. John Morgan

John Morgan Supporting Actor

John
    I thought I heard the delay in SILVER RIVER was there was a slightly longer cut for England and they were trying to get that. But, yes, the new release has, in places, the worst sound of any Archive title I have and I have several hundred. I suspect this came from a fine grain that has a faulty soundtrack. There is a loud, rhythmic thump that comes and goes throughout the film, but there is one reel in the last third of the film that is just terrible with the thump out of time with the music that drives me nuts. It got so bad I had to stop the film as it made it impossible to enjoy it. I think I still have my old TCM transfer, so I will check that one tomorrow. I am sure they would have to go back to the original nitrate material if it still exists. But I had a 16mm print way back and the sound was fine. I don't think I would have released the film with this soundtrack sounding so awful.

Richard M S likes this.
  8. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Good to see the 5 Joan Crawford titles originally released a few years back in "Volume 2" of their Joan Crawford Collection (now OOP and commanding high second-market prices) being re-released as singles:

* Sadie McKee
    * A Woman's Face
    * Strange Cargo
    * Flamingo Road
    * Torch Song

9. John Morgan

John Morgan Supporting Actor

John
    re: SILVER RIVER

The Archive edition seems to be the same transfer as the old one that runs on TCM. Both have window boxed credits and the bad sound is in both. The new Archive edition, however, is much worse in the soundtrack. It is much more apparent and the problems seems more pronounced.

The worst and longest section starts around 1:08.35, although that entire reel is bad. For me, I will keep the old TCM version until something is done to fix the sound. The picture is so-so- at best in both versions.

Richard M S and ahollis like this.
  10. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    I watched Silver River tonight. I agree with you about the picture and sound. I noticed two sections with the audio issue. WB must have come to the conclusion that this is as good as it's going to get and released it as is.

11. gcardu10

gcardu10 Agent

Greg C.
    I just posted the following message to Warner Archive's Facebook page. If I do not receive a public response I will send a private message to them.
    I feel some on these boards may share my questions and concerns about the way the program is moving forward. I am happy they are releasing more BDs but don't want this be at the expense of older films.

Message posted:
    Hello and thank you for all the wonderful Warner Archive releases since 2009. I have purchased hundreds of MOD titles during this time and am always anxious to see what the next releases will be. I am particularly interested in pre-1950 films and love to find new and rare movies to add to my collection.
    I have noticed that, beginning last fall, the number of new to DVD MOD releases has dropped from 3-4 per week to 3-4 per month. This concerns me because I know there are still so many MGM, Warner Brothers and RKO films out there I would love to see and have.
    Can you please share the current direction and focus of the Warner Archive Collection? Has the focus changed from releasing new to video rare pre-1950 films on BD or DVD to releasing later films on BD, or has this just been a temporary drop in the number of older films? While I know there are supporters of both types of release, I am sure there are many people who feel the way I do.
    Again, thank you for all the joy you have offered to me and others over the past 7 years and I hope you will take the time to respond to my questions.
    Thank you,

Flashgear, Suzanne.S, Jack K and 2 others like this.
  12. JoelA

JoelA Cinematographer

Joel Arndt
    Replying to Post 5696 above. The "insert quote" function doesn't appear to be working right now.

Greg, I've been a huge fan and supporter of WAC since the very beginning, also. As a matter of fact, that's how I discovered HTF. When the Archive launched in 2009 I was Googling for more info. and a link to HTF was one of the options. After noticing the knowledgeable discussions here I joined and am very glad I did.

I'm not a rep. for WAC and hope they reply to you as I'd be interested in their response, but I think it is the change in their business model to release films only if the quality meets a certain criteria which is true of both BD and DVD. In the beginning they stated they would release films from the existing masters only. No clean-up, restoration, remastering, nothing. The purpose was to put classic films from their library that might not otherwise see a release into the hands of collectors, but that policy seemed to change fairly quickly. I'm sure Mr. Feltenstein and his team are still committed to releasing every film in the WB library, but it's undoubtedly taking longer to remaster these titles and at this point there have to be fewer and fewer titles that are just sitting around ready to go.

Please let us know if you receive a reply.

13. gcardu10

gcardu10 Agent

Greg C.
    I received the following private response which does satisfy me for now.

First and foremost, we want to thank you for your support of our releases over the years. We wanted to respond to you personally so that we could properly answer your inquiry. WAC remains committed to releasing feature films, short subjects, television programs and other rarities from our library onto DVD for the first time, as well as bringing out-of-print titles back into active availability for those who still seek such titles. As we continue to mine the library, and maintain high quality standards, there will be periods where the releases of any given kind of rarity may vary in number. At the same time, we are responding to the overwhelming demand for Blu-ray releases of our finest classics by increasing our focus in that regard. We are making the most responsible decisions to run our business effectively, and keep our dedicated fans happy. As we move into our 8th year of operation, we are confident and hopeful that our future release schedule will provide a vast number of classic DVD releases will satisfy your interest in the films which we proudly distribute.

JoelA, Flashgear, atfree and 3 others like this.
  14. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    I picked up 3 of the new releases at Import CDs.. they were around 12.00 each if anyone is planning to buy some WAC titles. They are way cheaper on Import CDs. :)

15. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    They are cheaper from ImportCDs, but be careful and make sure they play when you first get them. I had a dreadful run of defective WAC discs a year or so ago, and they were all from ImportCDs.

16. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    But was that because they came from Import CDs? I've ordered Warner Archive DVDs from them and never had a faulty disc. The one faulty Warner Archive DVD I did receive - in October 2015 - came from a different supplier.

17. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David

Are the defects from ImportCDs or is the disc manufacturer itself - I mean couldnt WAC also have defective discs ? Why would ImportCDs carry defective discs ? I will make sure they do play and if they dont they will hear from me :) Ive bought a ton of WAC and other MOD titles from them with no problems , thankfully !

18. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    I'm not sure if ImportCDs manufacture their own copies onsite like Amazon does. I'm just reporting what happened to me last year - 3 discs (plus the Jean Harlow Collection) that I ordered were all defective.

19. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    Sorry to hear that ! :(
    I checked past orders from Import CDs and none of the ones I have were defective.

Bernard McNair likes this.
  20. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Where is the proof that Amazon manufactures their own discs?