Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films)

Robin9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched The Unfinished Dance which co-stars the fabulous Cyd Charisse. Very unusually, this is a Warner Archive disc where the picture quality of the trailer is far better than the film! The colors on the film are all over the place, smudged, smeary and wrong. On the trailer, they're pretty good!

Fans of Marie Windsor should note that she has a tiny role as a shop girl in The Unfinished Dance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bert Greene

Bert Greene

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Speaking of Marie Windsor, I wish either Olive or Kino could manage to serve up a release of "Hellfire" (1949-Republic), which offered one of her most memorable performances. She was always a pip!

Robin9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robin
Speaking of Marie Windsor, I wish either Olive or Kino could manage to serve up a release of "Hellfire" (1949-Republic), which offered one of her most memorable performances. She was always a pip!
I'll be the one ahead of you in the line!

Reactions: ahollis

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Thomas
Next year is "OH GOD!"s 40th anniversary... Here's hoping they finally bring this one out on Blu-ray. The director (Carl Reiner) is still with us, so maybe they will be able to include a new interview w/ him. Teri Garr, Paul Sorvino, David Ogden Stiers, William Daniels and (as far as I know) the kids from the film are also all still living.

While I imagine Warner would want to issue all 3 of the films together eventually, I understand there is some legal issue involving the third film.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jack
WAC is now offering MOD reissues of "Forbidden Hollywood" Vols. 1, 2, and 3. They're up for pre-order, with a release date of December 6. Product descriptions do not indicate if the original bonus materials are included.

and as a side note on Twitter WB Archive said these Vol 1-3 Re-Issue DVDs the initial batches would be pressed discs not sure what all retailers but WbShop for sure.

I have to ask has anyone recently purchased and of these sets from WB Shop or Amazon and if so what volume and did you get pressed discs? (thanks for any info)

Adam_S

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Adam_S
One question about pressed vs burned, I've got burned cds over fifteen years old that still work and burned dvds at least twelve years old that still work, the only DVD I have that has failed is a pressed disc of a face in the crowd that was otherwise brand new other than having set on my shelf Unwatched for years.

So why do we fetishize pressed over burned ? Is there substantial empirical evidence to make us worry? If so where? Cause my anecdotal experience cancels out anyone else's anecdotal experience.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jack
So why do we fetishize pressed over burned ? Is there substantial empirical evidence to make us worry? If so where? Cause my anecdotal experience cancels out anyone else's anecdotal experience.
I like to think they are easier to care for, that being said I try to be careful with my discs but DVD-Rs scratch easily and my feeling is I'd like for them to last as long as they can. I just think if there is an option for initial batches of pressed discs to be available I'd like to own those and if I can't I will settle for the DVD-R.

Robin9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robin
One question about pressed vs burned, I've got burned cds over fifteen years old that still work and burned dvds at least twelve years old that still work, the only DVD I have that has failed is a pressed disc of a face in the crowd that was otherwise brand new other than having set on my shelf Unwatched for years.

My experience is the same as yours. I've had one disc that no longer plays correctly (but did previously) and that was a pressed disc of On An Island With You. I've had one bad DVD-R that didn't play from day 1 but that clearly was a faulty disc. None of my other DVD-Rs have presented any problems.

Randy Korstick

Producer
Reaction score

It all started with an urban legend when Warner Archive started in 2009 that DVD-R's don't last as long but that was based on peoples experiences using cheap DVD recorders at home with cheap media and not professionally burned DVD-R's using high quality media. The only difference between the 2 is a DVD-R can be scratched easier so they need to be handled with more care but other than that there is no difference between the two. After 8 years of releases by Warner Archive there is still no evidence to dispute that. All of my 2009 WA releases still work but I have had a few Pressed DVD's stop working.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
John Stell
I have to ask has anyone recently purchased and of these sets from WB Shop or Amazon and if so what volume and did you get pressed discs? (thanks for any info)
I ordered Volumes 9 and 10 from the Warner Archive store during the Black Friday sale and they were pressed.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jack
I ordered Volumes 9 and 10 from the Warner Archive store during the Black Friday sale and they were pressed.
Thanks for letting me know! Will be ordering those ASAP from WB then. Behind on collecting these and it is great Archive have re-issued the first 3 Volumes.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Would I be correct in thinking that there'll be no more new releases from Warner Archive until the new year?

Richard V

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Richard
My experience is the same as yours. I've had one disc that no longer plays correctly (but did previously) and that was a pressed disc of On An Island With You. I've had one bad DVD-R that didn't play from day 1 but that clearly was a faulty disc. None of my other DVD-Rs have presented any problems.
Let me echo the DVD-R experience. I have 10 yr old (or more) burned DVDs from cable TV recordings and web downloads, done on cheap DVD media that still work perfectly. Why? I think possibly because I'm careful with them, and have always stored them indoors, never in a garage, or basement. I think care and storage have much more to do with preservation than the quality of the media.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Warner Archives taking a well-deserved rest until January 10. And no announcements on any up-coming
titles, apart from the four Blu-Rays posted some while ago.

Noach Kowalski

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Noach Kowalski
Silver River with Errol Flynn is coming on January 31st.

Coming on the same date:

Journal of a Crime (1934)
Red Hot Tires (1935)
Easy To Love

Reactions: atfree and PODER

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
It's time to once again take your front-row seats to the best variety show of the Jazz Age, as the vaunted and venerable Vitaphone presents a third collection of vintage Vaudeville and more sound shorts! Stars and almost-stars of song, stage and screen, from the East Coast to the West Coast can all be seen - and most importantly heard - in this scintillating collection of 33 shorts that present a passport to the vanished entertainments of 1928 and 1929.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanchibrneha