What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (3 Viewers)

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
Originally Posted by borisfw /forum/thread/293104/warner-archive-discussion-thread-the-announcements-the-films/510#post_3678201
I see WBA has the Torchy Blane set up to buy now . Also new sets for Joan Crawford and an Irwin Allen set of tv movies
I will be getting the Blane and Allen sets . At some point the Crawford set . I'm a fan of Above Suspicion .
And credit to WBA for the way they released there value paks this time . Making them in both the sets and single for the Allen and Crawford sets right from the get go .
I agree, Frank.

Placed my order first thing this morning.
Very glad to have the Joan Crawford films and Norma Shearer's Their Own Desire. The only Crawfords I really wanted were Paid and This Modern Age. But rather than buy those two for $30, the Value Pak made it possible to get the three other films for just an additional $20. If I like 'em, great, they go in the permanent collection. If not, I'll just turn around and resell them, probably at a profit.

I also went with the Torchy Blane series. A blind buy for me, but since I enjoy the 30's detective genre, I've been wanting to check them out. This package contains all nine films on five discs for only $40, a no brainer.

I really appreciate this WB Archive program. My tastes tend to run toward films that simply have no commercial appeal. Even if the economy hadn't tanked, I'm sure we'd never have seen DVD releases of all the late silents & early talkies I want.

My requests, for any wabbit ears that might be listening: more 1928-32 Garbo, Shearer, Crawford, Harlow, William Powell and Warner Baxter. Not sure if Warners controls them, but the Philo Vance and Perry Mason films would be most welcome too.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps there is hope for the censored eleven in the archives. Though Warners said during yesterday's chat that there are no plans at this time.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by borisfw /forum/thread/293104/warner-archive-discussion-thread-the-announcements-the-films/510#post_3678201
I see WBA has the Torchy Blane set up to buy now . Also new sets for Joan Crawford and an Irwin Allen set of tv movies
I will be getting the Blane and Allen sets . At some point the Crawford set . I'm a fan of Above Suspicion .
And credit to WBA for the way they released there value paks this time . Making them in both the sets and single for the Allen and Crawford sets right from the get go .
Yep, kudos to the Warner Archive for releasing those value paks right away.

And I have to give them credit; they are the only MOD program that consistently offers coupons, value paks, special promotions, and periodic sales. With everything applied, even after sales tax, my orders average out to $10 a disc, for me a reasonable price, and they have for quite some time now. There are never any coupons on Movies Unlimited, and the MOD discs on Amazon have never dipped below $14.99. If Warner could just do more on the picture quality front, they'd be an A+.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Hey Guys...
A little "heads-up" on using coupons on WB Archive. I just tried to order the new Crawford set and Mammy. All 3 coupons that I used went thru: REWARD25, CABINWB, and a $5.00
off coupon I received with my last order. However, when I went to PLACE ORDER, my Credit Card wasn't recognized. I called WBAC, talked to a very helpful young lady named Elaine, and
learned that orders using more than one coupon will automatically be refused, without an explanation. So limit yourself to one coupon and save yourself some time, if not more money!
I was a little disappointed, but it's still a good deal, and I'm delighted that they put the new
releases in 2 Value Packs right from the git-go. Looks like someone has been reading our comments here ...

KathyBeck

Stunt Coordinator
I am not familiar with Torchy Blane series. Is it like the Michael Shane detective movies? I really liked those and thought they were well done.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Torchy Blane is a terrific little series of films originally starring Glenda Farrell as a fast-talking newspaper reporter who always manages to solve the crime at hand before her blow-hard detective boyfriend, usually played by Barton MacLane. After Glenda Farrell left the series, Lola Lane and Jane Wyman each made a stab at filling her shoes, but Warners or audiences apparently lost interest.

The movies are all fun little programmers and worth picking up when bundled as a set.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Torchy Blane is a terrific little series of films originally starring Glenda Farrell as a fast-talking newspaper reporter who always manages to solve the crime at hand before her blow-hard detective boyfriend, usually played by Barton MacLane. After Glenda Farrell left the series, Lola Lane and Jane Wyman each made a stab at filling her shoes, but Warners or audiences apparently lost interest.
The movies are all fun little programmers and worth picking up when bundled as a set.
Agree. These are highly enjoyable hour films that are not intended to be anything other than mindless entertainment. As such, they've stayed popular for 70 years. I'll just add that Tom Kennedy provides great comic relief as the ever poetic Officer Gahagan. He is a terrific scene stealer.
Hilarious bloopers from these films (usually featuring Kennedy) were occasionally featured in the "Breakdowns of....19xx" shorts that Warners put out.
In response to Kathy's question, these really can't be compared to the Shayne films. Shayne had no sidekick and is a private eye by trade. The production values on Shayne were a bit better also.
I doubt anyone buying this blind will be disappointed.
Can Hildegarde Withers be far behind? The world needs more Edna May Oliver.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Took advantage of the recent 5/55 sale to pick up Carny, Untamed Youth, Lace, Green Fire, Sphinx, and The Girl Who Had Everything. Ordered right before the sale was up and they came in today, which seemed pretty quick to me.
Was also surprised to see each title was now shipped in shrinkwrap. I wasn't terribly bothered by them not having it before, but this does make it seem like a more professional product.
I was having a pretty bad batting average on the first 25 titles I bought in terms of quality (playability, transfer quality, mastering, etc). I tried to stick with relatively newer films, so it will be interesting to see how these fare.
Will post impressions of each as soon as I have a chance to go through them.

I was looking forward to seeing the Torchy Blaine films, and unless most of the ones I just got in are crap, I'll likely be ordering that set in the next few days.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by Steve...O /forum/thread/293104/warner-archive-discussion-thread-the-announcements-the-films/510#post_3678821
Can Hildegarde Withers be far behind? The world needs more Edna May Oliver.
Absolutely! And there are only three movies with Edna May and two far lesser titles with Helen Broderick and Zasu Pitts taking over the role and remaking it their own image.
And, as I recall, Eve Arden did a version for television on one of the ABC Movies of the Week. These would all make a terrific box set!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /forum/thread/293104/warner-archive-discussion-thread-the-announcements-the-films/510#post_3678858
No, but if your order is $50 or more, shipping is free.
Crawdaddy
Actually $60, although I think some of the coupons have included free shipping at lower amounts (?).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I would like to order the Disaster set of Irwin Allen films, but I just ordered using the 5 for 45 deal so it'll have to wait.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is there a viable coupon to use if just buying one disc? Sorry to be so ignorant about things.

Is there a best single-title strategy?

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
There's still a few Irwin Allen TV movies unreleased that they own. Since they usually follow through on a theme for a full month, that would be one of my guesses.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I just got an email. Warner Archive is offering 30% off of selected Films Noir.

http://www.wbshop.com/30%25-Off-Select-Film-Noir-Classics/FILMNOIRSALE,default,sc.html?did=WACNoir0410Eml

Doug

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Up for pre-order at the Warner Archives are the remaining Tarazn films with Jock Mahoney and Mike Henry in a value pack for $49.95. I'm surprised they didn't include the 1959 TARZAN THE APE MAN with Denny Miller as Tarzan and Joanna Barnes as Jane and make it a six pack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks