What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (2 Viewers)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
"I think the proof that Warner Archive titles don't really have extras anymore is that the thread about MOD movies with trailers is rarely updated nowadays."

No one's curating that thread anymore, which is why it fell into disuse.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
And there have been a few Warner MODs of OOP DVDs with updated 16:9 transfers and features. I think Damage was one. Otherwise it may be that trailers and what not are being dropped but no one here is really cataloging it via that thread. It's still worth adding to as new discs are acquired.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Warner Archives' recent MOD of WICKED, WICKED (1973) includes a trailer. Some of their MODs still have them.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I ordered the Forbidden Hollywood 8 set from Amazon. Big mistake. They sent me MOD discs instead of the pressed discs.

I'll make sure to order pressed discs from Warner Archive directly from now on.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yes, it bears repeating that Amazon makes its own discs separately from the WAC and will be MOD 100% of the time.

Though I'm curious--do other retailers (Deep Discount, Movies Unlimited, Oldies, etc) get their stock from Warnerarchive.com rather than Amazon?

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
JoHud said:
Yes, it bears repeating that Amazon makes its own discs separately from the WAC and will be MOD 100% of the time.

Though I'm curious--do other retailers (Deep Discount, Movies Unlimited, Oldies, etc) get their stock from Warnerarchive.com rather than Amazon?
I was just looking at DVD Planet and they have much better prices than Warner Archives does even with their current sale on multi-disc sets. So I was wondering that myself.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
If you look on the back cover of WA titles ordered from Amazon, just above the barcode is tiny print that says "Manufactured by Amazon.com Lexington KY".

I've also ordered WA discs from Ebay store sellers and those barcodes are clean with no manufacturing ID. My theory is that WA itself makes up smaller batches of titles for those Ebay stores to sell, instead of those sellers making their own copies onsite.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, probably several times, but the Warner Archive podcasts on itunes, which are free, are entertaining and informative.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Speaking of those podcast, I must reiterated that this is a direct, verbatim, unaltered quote from George Feltenstein from last year, (the 12/19 one, New Years). emphasis mine.
Q: "I'd like to know if we'll be seeing any classic animated shorts released by the Warner Archive. [...] Don't be coy. Please tell us that these will happen"
A: "We can tell you a couple of things. First of all, if we didn't care about quality, we could be bringing you theatrical animation right away. But a lot of the theatrical animation we could release needs to be remastered, and that takes time and money and care, and we have several projects in development with the collaborative efforts of the esteemed Mr. Jerry Beck and myself as we're planning... a couple of different things that will be quite exciting. [Other guy interjects with "I've seen them in your office. I'm confirming the rumors"]. But.. you'll definitely be seeing something in 2014 to your liking, and hopefully more than one thing, and if not 2014, maybe 2015. There are many things in the works.
Now I can address the Famous Studios Popeyes cartoons, which are the color Popeyes. The Warner Home Video kids group will continue to release the color Famous Studios Popeye cartoons, as they will continue to be restored [...] from newly minted 35mm sources coming from the original negatives, with the same level of quality that the Fleischer Popeyes had in the prior retail releases. This will probably happen not until 2015, but work is being done
Almost a whole year later, and not so much zip about those cartoons.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I forgot about the POPEYE'S. All that's come out in the archive was the TV show from the sixties or whatever, right?

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Russell G said:
I forgot about the POPEYE'S. All that's come out in the archive was the TV show from the sixties or whatever, right?
That's correct. Volume 1 of the 60s TV cartoons came out last year. Unfortunately, this year there's been no sign of a Volume 2 release.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
Those who have enjoyed Warner's excellent Forbidden Hollywoood sets should really give themselves an early Xmas gift and pick up the new Volume 8. The 4 disc set contains 4 great pre-codes, with 2 of my favorites "Blonde Crazy" and "Strangers May Kiss" being long-awaited highlights. All four have been remastered (greatly improved over the usual TV transfers), with "Blonde Crazy" particularly the stand-out.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
A lot of previously issued stuff is among today's batch. Looks like this is the new normal for studios' MOD DVD-R programs.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Camps said:
A lot of previously issued stuff is among today's batch. Looks like this is the new normal for studios' MOD DVD-R programs.
This is the release schedule from July 8th, so these titles have been released previously. :) To my knowledge this is the second time this has happened on the WAC site where the July 8th releases have been posted after one promotion ends and new content is uploaded.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
We will most likely just see a few more reissues to wrap up this year and several sales. That's what happened last year. There were no new releases in December.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks