What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (4 Viewers)

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Not only is REWARD25 not working, but I've lost the automatic 25% discount I receive as being an "insider." I was all set to order the 9 pre-1960 titles released today too. I guess I'll wait and see if this just another temporary glitch.

Charles H

Screenwriter
The 25% as an "Insider Reward" was there early this morning and made it as far as the "Add to the Cart" popup, but in the cart it morphed to the full price. I e-mailed them this morning, but I haven't heard back from them yet. If this isn't "Bait and Switch," I don't know what is. Has anyone else complained to them by phone or e-mail yet?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
REWARD25 worked for me this morning. I logged on and ordered before I received the official announcement of the new titles via e-mail; not sure if that made any difference.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Went through on a second try. The first try I got a message there was problem with the connection and try back in several minutes.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill /forum/thread/293104/warner-archive-discussion-thread-the-announcements-the-films/450#post_3671232
REWARD25 worked for me this morning. I logged on and ordered before I received the official announcement of the new titles via e-mail; not sure if that made any difference.
Definitely not working since those titles went officially up. And still not working now either. ("Coupon code not recognized, please try again.")
It better be a glitch. The last time they announced new titles my credit card wasn't recognized for nearly 12 hours and then started working again, so perhaps there's something going on.....hopefully.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Good news - the automatic Insider 25% discount is working again - just ordered the 9 new pre-1960s titles and saved almost $40 with the discount. Glad to know it was just a temporary glitch.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
How does ome become an Insider? I feel I'm on the outside looking in with REWARD25.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MLamarre /forum/thread/293104/warner-archive-discussion-thread-the-announcements-the-films/390#post_3667123
Interesting to see several 90s films with big stars coming this month. One 90s film I'd love Warner to release into the Archive is BEING HUMAN starring Robin Williams.
BEING HUMAN will be released in April by the Archive.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by John Stell /forum/thread/293104/warner-archive-discussion-thread-the-announcements-the-films/450#post_3671415
Good news - the automatic Insider 25% discount is working again - just ordered the 9 new pre-1960s titles and saved almost $40 with the discount. Glad to know it was just a temporary glitch.
Yes indeed, good to see.

RUrahrah

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim Almoney
As of 1PM EDT REWARD25 still not restored for me, no response to my yesterday email asking if it's a glitch or if the rewards program was discontinued

RUrahrah

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim Almoney
Andre--I've been an Insider from the very beginning, that's why the two days of disappointment when doing my latest order. However, I'm happy to report the discount is again operational for me, but apparently will not apply to the higher-priced Ripley Believe It Or Not offering.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Thanks guys for the heads up on the Insider Rewards. I thought I had signed up for it and I was receiving emails, but missed filling in some of the information. Now that I have corrected that, the discounts are showing up. Now to go back and get a few that I looked over.

Corey

Screenwriter
I wish they would bring more value packs back. I'd definitely order more if they did, but I'll just catch up on the sets I never bought on Amazon (they've having a ridiculous sale).

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
Still no word on the Torchy Blane series. I'm tempted to make it a blind buy if the price is right. I enjoy 30's era mysteries -- The Thin Man, Mr. Moto, and Charlie Chan in particular. I'm curious to see how the Torchy Blane series compares to them.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I like the Torchy's. Glenda Farrell is pretty good . My hope is that this set will lead to The Falcon and The Saint series .

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Restored Mammy is being released as part of Warner Archive on April 6th according to Lou Lumenick:

Michael Curtiz' 1930 Al Jolson musical "Mammy'' -- with restored two-strip Technicolor numbers that are said to comprise about 20 percent of the 84-minute running time -- will debut as part of the Warner Archive Collection on April 6. The film's restoration was undertaken in 2003 by UCLA from a nitrate print found two years earlier at the Netherlands Film Institute in Amsterdam. That print had Dutch title cards, which UCLA replaced with black-and-white footage tinted in sepia. For the DVD release, the sepia footage has been computer-colored to match the original Technicolor. And it's been combined with a new digital restored master from the original black-and-white negative in the Warner Bros. vaults. This murder mystery set at a minstrel show is the seventh of Jolson 's often politically-incorrect musicals available from the Warner Archive Collection.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by GregoryMesh /forum/thread/293104/warner-archive-discussion-thread-the-announcements-the-films/450#post_3673318
Restored Mammy is being released as part of Warner Archive on April 6th according to Lou Lumenick:
Excellent.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Watched THE EDDIE CANTOR STORY last night. The transfer was great and the colors were vibrant. It seems the transfers are getting better for I also watched a little of THE WILL ROGERS STORY and also found it to be a good transfer. THE EDDIE CANTOR STORY is a little over the top and since he was alive when it was made (He makes a cameo appearance at the beginning and end of the film) I am sure Warner's did the usual cleaning up of the biography. The actor who played Eddie really tried hard to imitate him, and did succeed in some of the musical numbers. The real outstanding person was the kid that played Eddie as a boy. The movie is full of touching moments with his grandmother that were over the top at times. This film is one that you just have to sit back and let it flow and enjoy it, no thinking involved and maybe a glass or two of wine will help. Again, good transfer and good sound.

With this release and also THE WILL ROGERS STORY, which also has an appearance by Eddie Cantor playing himself, I wish WA would have released SHOW BUSINESS and IF YOU KNEW SUZIE. Two RKO films that started Mr. Cantor. SHOW BUSINESS is basically a fictional biography of Eddie playing himself.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, I watched both Fighter Squadron and First to Fight over the weekend. I was pleased with both discs.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks