What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (1 Viewer)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
This also makes me hopeful the the Lana Turner remake of "The Merry Widow" may hopefully see the light of day again soon. It's perhaps the most glaring omission from the MGM musicals era not to have made it to DVD.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
I'm cross-posting this from the Looney Tunes thread. This is straight from George Feltenstein from the 12/19/2013 podcast. Emphasis mine (it starts at 28:10).
Q: "I'd like to know if we'll be seeing any classic animated shorts released by the Warner Archive. [...] Don't be coy. Please tell us that these will happen"

A: "We can tell you a couple of things. First of all, if we didn't care about quality, we could be bringing you theatrical animation right away. But a lot of the theatrical animation we could release needs to be remastered, and that takes time and money and care, and we have several projects in development with the collaborative efforts of the esteemed Mr. Jerry Beck and myself as we're planning... a couple of different things that will be quite exciting. [Other guy interjects with "I've seen them in your office. I'm confirming the rumors"]. But.. you'll definitely be seeing something in 2014 to your liking, and hopefully more than one thing, and if not 2014, maybe 2015. There are many things in the works.
Now I can address the Famous Studios Popeyes cartoons, which are the color Popeyes. The Warner Home Video kids group will continue to release the color Famous Studios Popeye cartoons, as they will continue to be restored [...] from newly minted 35mm sources coming from the original negatives, with the same level of quality that the Fleischer Popeyes had in the prior retail releases. This will probably happen not until 2015, but work is being done
I reiterate, this is a direct decree from Mr. Feltenstein himself, not misinterpreted hearsay from some intern.

2014 is almost over, and there hasn't been so much as an innuendo about these so-called WAC classic cartoon sets.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
On Facebook, they also confirmed they have the entire MGM cartoon library (minus T&J) cleared for future Warner Archive releases but said they weren't able to get into release date specifics yet. I'm thinking we'll get something more solid either later 2014 or early 2015.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
JoHud said:
On Facebook, they also confirmed they have the entire MGM cartoon library (minus T&J) cleared for future Warner Archive releases but said they weren't able to get into release date specifics yet. I'm thinking we'll get something more solid either later 2014 or early 2015.
Which they should never do until they're 100% sure they can release them as indicated, otherwise, they're going to be taken to task by people for not doing so.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
It's a double-edged sword. Perhaps Warners should be more transparent in their 'upcoming' schedule but then I love the fact that they are continually surprising us with delights like "Kismet" and "Hit the Deck" on Blu-ray, virtually out of nowhere. :)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Ken_Martinez said:
I'm cross-posting this from the Looney Tunes thread. This is straight from George Feltenstein from the 12/19/2013 podcast. Emphasis mine (it starts at 28:10).I reiterate, this is a direct decree from Mr. Feltenstein himself, not misinterpreted hearsay from some intern.2014 is almost over, and there hasn't been so much as an innuendo about these so-called WAC classic cartoon sets.
It's only wishful thinking, but I interpreted that podcast comment to be that we'd get golden collection volume 7 from the archive.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched Made In Paris last night. The film could have been a lot better but the Warner Archives disc could only be improved on by a high-definition transfer. DVD doesn't get better than this disc.

The big problem with the film is that it's not funny. The screenplay needs a lot more wit and none of the cast has any gift for comedy. Apart from that, it's quite a good film! :)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
NASTY HABITS was recently released by Warner Archive. I wonder who wrote the liner notes? The film is the Watergate scandal....only set in a convent. No mention of this at all.
I saw this once at a creative double feature....NASTY HABITS and ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Think the Archive will ever release DISRAELI? What about TRADER HORN?I know I sound like a broken record, but I wish they would release TRADER HORN with its trailer, the short TRADER HOUND, and the 7th Voyage productions documentary TRADER HORN: THE JOURNEY BACK with Harry Carry Jr.I know it's asking a lot, but... I can hope. I mean, this documentary is AVAILABLE, and to NOT use it would be a crying shame.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Looks like we'll be getting The Lusty Men on 9/16. Yes! Could Blood on the Moon be close behind?

1000190727.jpg

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
There may be some problems with the elements for Blood on the Moon. The UK and French releases of the film both use the same print and it's generally fine but there is a rough section during the stampede.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I just received this week's WAC e-mail and it seems to state that SHOOTOUT AT MEDICINE BEND is their last Randolph Scott western release. What about the color SUGARFOOT from 1951??

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Bob Gu said:
I just received this week's WAC e-mail and it seems to state that SHOOTOUT AT MEDICINE BEND is their last Randolph Scott western release. What about the color SUGARFOOT from 1951??
Unless their insinuating it's either going to WHV or that it has rights issues (both very unlikely) I think it's safe to say they just made a boo-boo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks