What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (1 Viewer)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I noticed that "Men of the Fighting Lady" is currently only a 'shop exclusive' on the WA site. Maybe there were some 'teething' problems in the initial batches.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Richard Gallagher said:
Has anyone watched Men of the Fighting Lady yet? I belatedly received a review copy but it freezes up three minutes into the film. I tried it on several different players so it's definitely a bad disc.
Mine is fine. You need a new DVD.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
classicmovieguy said:
I noticed that "Men of the Fighting Lady" is currently only a 'shop exclusive' on the WA site. Maybe there were some 'teething' problems in the initial batches.
looks like movies unlimited will be carrying this title. today warner has torpedo run with glenn ford.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
classicmovieguy said:
Amazon has this on sale too effective 07-23-14.

Also, a bunch of Glenn Ford titles released today by WA including Ransom and Trial, both in widescreen.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have to rent the ones Im interested in, there are like 5-6 Archive titles that sound interesting but cant afford to blind buy much this year due to all the blu rays..
Im interested in Ransom, Trial , Crooked Road, Desire Me... etc. I should be able to rent or stream some of these

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Robert Crawford said:
Also, a bunch of Glenn Ford titles released today by WA including Ransom and Trial, both in widescreen.
Good to see THE WHITE TOWER listed, which had excellent colour photography. It was released on DVD in the UK in - unbelievably - black and white!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Happy to see the big Joe E Brown wave today. It's been at least 2-3 years since the first wave.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Joe E. Brown made a lot of great comedies in the early 1930s. I think they got better as they moved away from burlesque elements and presented Brown as the all American good guy struggling to get ahead. You Said a Mouthful, particularly, is great. I am glad to see these being released. I wish some of his late 1930s Columbia work could be released as well.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I just noticed that NASTY HABITS is now listed as a pre-order on Warner Archive. Hallelujah! Another one of my Most Wanted. Sandy Dennis' performance as the John Dean patterned nun is probably the funniest performance she ever gave.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
PODER said:
I just noticed that NASTY HABITS is now listed as a pre-order on Warner Archive. Hallelujah! Another one of my Most Wanted. Sandy Dennis' performance as the John Dean patterned nun is probably the funniest performance she ever gave.
That's great news because I loved this film. Glenda Jackson and Sandy Dennis are just superb!

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
JoeDoakes said:
Joe E. Brown made a lot of great comedies in the early 1930s. I think they got better as they moved away from burlesque elements and presented Brown as the all American good guy struggling to get ahead. You Said a Mouthful, particularly, is great. I am glad to see these being released. I wish some of his late 1930s Columbia work could be released as well.
Joe E. Brown was a natural athlete and a great physical comedian. His Warner Bros. period was his best. It was just the best place for his talents at just the right time for his popularity. It's a shame his brand of humor hasn't found new audiences over the decades. I didn't see any of his starring roles until I was an adult. I don't remember any of his starring vehicles coming on TV when I was a kid, although I got to see W.C. Fields, Mae West, the Marx Brothers and Eddie Cantor pretty consistently. Some of his films from the later '30s came on local TV when I first got a VCR in the early '80s, including THE GLADIATOR, very loosely based on Philip Wylie's dark sci-fi novel, but that was about it until the '90s when Ted Turner bought up the Warner library and showed the films on TNT and then TCM. Although I did see YOU SAID A MOUTHFUL at some point at the New School at one of William K. Everson's screenings, starring Brown, Ginger Rogers and Farina! Wonderful movie.

Has Brown's baseball trilogy ever been released as a set? (FIREMAN SAVE MY CHILD, ELMER THE GREAT, ALIBI IKE)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Most major Samuel Goldwyn wave since the Danny Kaye Collection. The titles in bold have never been released on DVD.

The Adventures of Marco Polo (1938)
They Shall Have Music (1939)
The Winning of Barbara Worth (1926)
Raffles (1930)/ Raffles (1939)
Enchantment (1948)
Arrowsmith (1931)

Almost half of these films are new to DVD. Not bad. Especially look forward to the Raffles double feature. Never seen them before but they look like a good companion piece to the Arsene Lupin double feature films.

Not sure if the others have any new mastering (probably not), but this seems to be a good sign that there is some gradual remastering work on films that never made it to DVD....Is Eddie Cantor right around the corner?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Vic Pardo said:
Joe E. Brown was a natural athlete and a great physical comedian. His Warner Bros. period was his best. It was just the best place for his talents at just the right time for his popularity. It's a shame his brand of humor hasn't found new audiences over the decades. I didn't see any of his starring roles until I was an adult. I don't remember any of his starring vehicles coming on TV when I was a kid, although I got to see W.C. Fields, Mae West, the Marx Brothers and Eddie Cantor pretty consistently.
Seems like a case where TV broadcasting in the golden age of TV just didn't bother showing his movies, leaving his "golden years" in relative obscurinty.

I've actually never seen one of his starring vehicles until the first Warner Archive release some years ago.

ValLewton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex Renskoff
When did they go to free shipping on orders of $75 or more? That's quite a jump from $35 free shipping.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yeah, they've really hiked their shipping. They started the $75 free shipping threshold about a month ago (sooner?) and also increased the price of ground shipping in recent months. It used to be $2.50 but now it's $4.99.

Miss the old free shipping range. Hopefully it goes back when the holiday season nears.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TBH, I have basically stopped buying Archive titles as I patiently wait for more of their titles to be eligible to the few sales they still have every now and then. As far as the increase in shipping, another motivation not to do impulse purchases from them until I get enough of the titles I really want to become eligible for free shipping.

If things are getting tighter for them then the same is happening to me as I already have too many titles I don't have enough time in the day to watch, but only a small percentage of them, I do have time for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks