What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Blu-Ray! It's just that I'm not planning on aggressively replacing all of my Black & White titles, and quite frankly, my pocketbook wouldn't be able to withstand it.

One notable exception is the upcoming Blu-Ray/DVD Criterion Release of A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, which does validate Doug Bull's previous comment regarding a Film's level of importance.

With that said, I still say that DVD in my opinion, when done right, still delivers sufficient quality for an enjoyable viewing experience. Besides, our TV is a 32 Inch, 720p Flatscreen, with no plans to upgrade anytime soon to 1080, never mind the upcoming upgrades to 2k, and eventually 4k Television. Until less than two years ago, we were still using the old style Tube for TV viewing pleasure, thus the 720p is still kind of a luxury for us at this point! The difference between DVD & Blu-Ray quality is not lost on me, but is largely not sufficient for me to go replacing even all of the important movies, and in my opinion, is not as drastic as the jump between VHS and DVD was back in the early 2000's!

Of course, that opinion could change a few years down the road if/when we have to replace our current TV with a new and improved model! :3dglasses:

CHEERS!

Tony

P.S. My above Emoticon is in no way, meant to suggest that our next TV will be a 3D Model, but is merely an attempt on my part at a bit of lighthearted humor!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Tony Bensley said:
With that said, I still say that DVD in my opinion, when done right, still delivers sufficient quality for an enjoyable viewing experience. Besides, our TV is a 32 Inch, 720p Flatscreen, with no plans to upgrade anytime soon to 1080.
I agree, Mr. Bensley! Although my set up is 1080 with a 40" screen, I'm perfectly content with the picture a good DVD provides. I just watched the Criterion standard DVD of Anatomy Of A Murder and it looked terrific. I've got better things to do with my limited income than get AOAM yet again for a 4th time (I had it on laser disc, the full frame DVD and now the Criterion wide screen). Right now, I'm just using blu to replace my non-anamorphic DVDs.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thomas T said:
I agree, Mr. Bensley! Although my set up is 1080 with a 40" screen, I'm perfectly content with the picture a good DVD provides. I just watched the Criterion standard DVD of Anatomy Of A Murder and it looked terrific. I've got better things to do with my limited income than get AOAM yet again for a 4th time (I had it on laser disc, the full frame DVD and now the Criterion wide screen). Right now, I'm just using blu to replace my non-anamorphic DVDs.
Hi Thomas T!

I really think that it comes down to personal preference and what one can afford to replace. For me, I am also on a limited income and only have so many $$ to spend for my entertainment.

Beyond that, I also believe that those of us who have been around before the DVD era suffer from "Format Replacement Fatigue," as I have! We still have VHS Tapes that haven't yet been replaced with DVDs, never mind Blu-Ray Discs!

Curiously, we also have an HD-DVD/DVD Hybrid of ANIMAL HOUSE that we purchased in 2007 before that Format went the way of Betamax! We've never owned an HD-DVD Player, and only bought this particular disc because it cost just $5 at the time! At least we can play the DVD Layer! ;)

CHEERS!

Tony

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Anybody else noticed that the latest and most expensive WA titles are unavailable to order during this current sale? A cheap trick by Warner if this is done purposely to keep those titles ineligible for this sale. :thumbsdown:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes what they list as available for sale isn't always true. I just added 1 Sony title and 2 MGM titles which were not supposed to be included to an order of 2 titles that were and I got the sale price on the whole order. So you might want to try whatever titles you want.
Robert Crawford said:
Anybody else noticed that the latest and most expensive WA titles are unavailable to order during this current sale? A cheap trick by Warner if this is done purposely to keep those titles ineligible for this sale. :thumbsdown:

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Dear Robert ... hasn't this been Warner Archive's sale policy pretty much from the beginning? That's why I keep a listof the titles I want. After several months, they start showing up for sale, as did several of the recent Joan Crawfords in the previous sale. I think it's just good business sense to try and sell the new titles at full price for a while.All the best, Poderps: A belated Thank You for your calming influence when some of these posts start getting a bit overly dramatic!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
PODER said:
Dear Robert ... hasn't this been Warner Archive's sale policy pretty much from the beginning? That's why I keep a listof the titles I want. After several months, they start showing up for sale, as did several of the recent Joan Crawfords in the previous sale. I think it's just good business sense to try and sell the new titles at full price for a while.All the best, Poderps: A belated Thank You for your calming influence when some of these posts start getting a bit overly dramatic!
Except you're unable to even order certain titles even if you're not buying enough of them to qualify for this particular sale. If I only wanted to order one title like Flowing Gold, I can't right now as it's unable for me to order. I thought the title restriction was tied to specific sale codes.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Wow! I wasn't aware of that little glitch. And of course it's more expensive than the WBAC price on other sites. One of the benefits of waiting for a sale, I guess.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I see they corrected that title unavailable glitch. They're still not eligible for this sale, but at least you can order them if you want them.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Robert Crawford said:
I see they corrected that title unavailable glitch. They're still not eligible for this sale, but at least you can order them if you want them.
Apparently, there was a technical glitch with the site yesterday as I received an e-mail this morning saying the sale has been extended through today. And I believe new release titles have a three month window at regular pricing before they are included in sales.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Warners are putting out ONE noir. It sure is going to take a long time to get them out at this glacial rate. It would be helpful if they could give us some forward guidance about their intentions, Perhaps one a month or quarter would be good, same for musicals. TT have the right idea to generate anticipation and enthusiasm regarding their release schedule.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Up for pre-order at Oldies.com two Warner Archive Allied Artist color wide-screen western exclusives, for July 15, 2014 release:

GUNSMOKE IN TUCSON- 1958, Mark Stevens, Forrest Tucker
OREGON PASSAGE- 1957, John Ericson, Lola Albright

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
WA hasn't done an animated show in a long, long time, especially not a "classic" show.

Do they have something special lined up for Q4, or are we just going to get another fistful of specials again and some obscure 70's cartoon maybe 2 people asked for?

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
Bob Gu said:
Up for pre-order at Oldies.com two Warner Archive Allied Artist color wide-screen western exclusives, for July 15, 2014 release:

GUNSMOKE IN TUCSON- 1958, Mark Stevens, Forrest Tucker
OREGON PASSAGE- 1957, John Ericson, Lola Albright
That's superb news. Both are highly entertaining, and I am a big fan of the Allied Artists widescreen westerns. When they turn up on TV they have usually been pan & scan and look awful. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to order them asap!

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Movies Unlimited have June Allyson exclusives:
The Secret Heart (1946)
High Barbaree (1947)
Too Young To Kiss (1951)
The Girl In White (1952)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks