What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Strange Lady In Town has been high in my most wanted list for long time. I saw this in the theater when it first came out and I was a small boy. I've never seen it since, not even on television but I've always wanted to. Now I can! I hope very much that this new disc presents the film correctly.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
does it bother anyone else in this thread that Warner will only release many of these films on DVD , yet Stream them on their Archive streaming service in HD ? I Recently joined the service and was astounded to see a lot of the Dead End Kids films I paid for on DVD now in HD. It's making me re-evaluated just what I spend with Warner in the future

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I don't know. Warner has been at the forefront pushing new formats for years now. Instead of bothersome, I think it's pretty telling as to where the physical media market is these days. If Warner can't figure out how to make hi-def media work in this niche market, it probably means that it can't work...at least not profitably. And while it's all well and good to watch a hi-def stream whenever the powers that be deign to make it available, I'd still prefer to have the content in my possession. If that means standard definition, then so be it.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Dave Scarpa said:
does it bother anyone else in this thread that Warner will only release many of these films on DVD , yet Stream them on their Archive streaming service in HD ? I Recently joined the service and was astounded to see a lot of the Dead End Kids films I paid for on DVD now in HD. It's making me re-evaluated just what I spend with Warner in the future
Like many others on this site I like having the physical product, so if it's only on DVD's I'm buying. Naturally with my favorites Bluray would be better, but I can live with DVD releases. On some of my favorite shows or movies which don't seem to have much of a chance of release, I'd be thrilled with either format.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I'm another in support for the physical product.

What becomes of those who are unable to stream?
A lot of us here in Australia are stuck with slow speeds which makes it almost impossible to download a movie. (unless you leave your computer on all night)
We were going to get a much improved super fast broadband service, but the fools here voted in a new backward-thinking government that doesn't seem to think fast broadband is very important. :angry:

It may seem unimaginable to some younger folk, but not everyone on this planet, especially the older community, has a computer, so what happens to them?
Will they be stuck with watching inferior TV transmissions for the rest of their lives?
Of course they will be able to play their existing DVDs and Blu-rays over and over and over again, for as long as their ageing players keep going.

Anyway, what would we do without our stylish, colorful & artistic DVD/Blu-ray covers?
That's just part of a magical physical product that you can look at, touch and feel.

Long Live DVD & Blu-ray Discs. (and any other Physical Media that may follow)

Doug.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tony Bensley said:
Regarding the Blu-Ray Vs. DVD argument, in my opinion, when it comes to Black & White releases, I find DVD's to be quite sufficient.

CHEERS!
What size is your display that you're watching your discs on?

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Tony Bensley said:
Regarding the Blu-Ray Vs. DVD argument, in my opinion, when it comes to Black & White releases, I find DVD's to be quite sufficient.

CHEERS!
Yes, sufficient for casual viewing on a TV when the importance of the movie doesn't really count.
But viewing an important movie on a large display, then Blu-ray is very much the preferred option.

I can suffer DVD artifacts with the former, but give me an artifacts free Blu-ray for the latter.

Doug.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Tony Bensley said:
Regarding the Blu-Ray Vs. DVD argument, in my opinion, when it comes to Black & White releases, I find DVD's to be quite sufficient.CHEERS!
Some of my best looking Blu-rays are Black and White films. The titles are CASABLANCA, THE WOMEN, NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, and IT'S IN THE BAG.

Moises

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moisés Chiullan
ahollis said:
Some of my best looking Blu-rays are Black and White films. The titles are CASABLANCA, THE WOMEN, NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, and IT'S IN THE BAG.
Agreed. I would add THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY (a recent WAC title), STAGECOACH, NAKED KISS and SHOCK CORRIDOR, myriad Chaplin films, and the sadly-OOP LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD, among many, many others. A Blu-ray release can make remastering and restoration possible for titles that have languished in awful public domain releases, like THE STRANGER did for years.

I just think our pal Tony doesn't know what he's missing.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Bob Gu said:
Here are seven new Warner Archive titles that are listed at importcds.com and the other Super D sites with a June 17, 2014 release date. No artwork up yet, just the titles. No mention if these are exclusive, so they all may show up sooner at WBshop.com.COUNTERFEIT PLAN-1957 Zachary Scott, Peggy CastleGUNS OF DARKNESS-1962 Leslie Caron, David NivenCLAUDELLE INGLISH-1961 Diane McBain, Will HutchinsCROOKED ROAD-1965 Robert Ryan, Stewart GrangerCHASE A CROOKED SHADOW-1958 Richard Todd, Anne BaxterSLANDER-1957 Van Johnson, Ann Blyth, Steve CochranARSENE LUPIN Double Feature: ARSENE LUPIN-1932 John and Lionel Barrymore and ARSENE LUPIN RETURNS-1938 Melvyn Douglas, Virginia Bruce, and Warren William
It turns out this leak was completely accurate, including the release date. The only thing missing is that Sugarfoot: The Complete Third Season is also being released today.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
It's odd how some releases just appear without ever appearing at the Warner sites as pre-orders. Sugarfoot 3 has been searchable and pre-orderable for a couple of weeks, I think, before finally showing up in the pre-order list, and now, new release list.I think the Super D sites put the WAC titles into their system when they send their orders into WAC/Allied Vaughn, and then hide the listing, later, until the actual release date. The seven titles for June 17th are back up, with a bogus release date, as is Bronco. I'd guess that Bronco is still good for July 29, 2014, or sooner.GUNS OF DARNESS did not make it for the June 17th release. Maybe next week?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Bob Gu said:
GUNS OF DARKNESS did not make it for the June 17th release. Maybe next week?
Missed that one. Might not be ready next week, but probably to be held off to pad out an otherwise sparse week in the near future.

ValLewton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex Renskoff
Warner Archive on Facebook-
we're putting the finishing touches on one of the all-time great noirs for Warner Archive Collection on Blu-ray. Stay tuned for further news

The guessing is either Gun Crazy or Out Of The Past or Asphalt Jungle- any would be welcome

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks