Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Thanks for letting us know because this would have passed me by. I'm very interested in this set. Alan Ladd was my first favorite film star and I saw two of these when I was a boy.

2. MLamarre

MLamarre Second Unit

Matthew Lamarre
    Warner must have struck a new deal with Ladd's Jaguar productions because when asked about these films a few years ago on their Facebook page, they said they no longer had the rights.

Let's hope they also release the 2 Noirs included in this package, Hell on Frisco Bay (1955) and A Cry in the Night (1956).

JoHud likes this.
  3. borisfw

borisfw Screenwriter

Frank
    Thanks for posting the news on the Ladd dvds . Will be getting those .

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Good news on the Ladd titles. I have the Australian anamorphic wide screen Drum Beat but it's a mediocre transfer.Now if Sony would only get Ladd's The Black Knight out in a decent transfer. The Spanish DVD is anamorphic wide screen but the transfer is poor.

5. kingfish

kingfish Screenwriter

cool about the deep six.

6. kingfish

kingfish Screenwriter

can one buy the deep six individually?

7. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    3 for $33 sale on WA titles currently at Oldies.com

Robin9 likes this.
  8. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    Still hoping for the 1936 Show Boat to become commercially available outside of the US. Warner Archive, when they started up, stated they would make titles available to overseas buyers ... but now it's a totally closed shop. There's only one external seller on Amazon selling this title, and they're not only charging six dollars more than Warner Archives, but have a rip-off postal cost of almost $15! I can't see the logic in limiting this title for sale only through Warner Archive .. this is a legacy title which should belong to the world!

David Weicker and Doug Bull like this.
  9. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    I've asked WA, time and again on their Facebook site about when they plan to start shipping internationally, and their silence on the subject is deafening.

10. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

They answered this on their Facebook page a few weeks ago. Here was their reply:

Thanks to a recent pricing change and a site rebuild, WBShop.com and Shop.Warner
    Archive.com now display the MSRP (Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price) , in the past what displayed was the Shop’s already discounted price. In this manner the information displayed to shoppers is more in line with other online shopping sites.Here’s an example o f a title and all its prices :Catalog / SKU :1000179488 VOICES Title MSRP: $17.99 Old WBshop Sale Price: $14.95 New WBshop Sale Price: $14.39 MSRP Savings 20%As you can see, the Shop has actually reduced their regular everyday sale price, but the site is now displaying the usually higher MSRP, hence the confusion.The bottom line is, however, that regular, everyday prices have gone down.Thanks for your support – hope this clears things up.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm not sure I'm buying that explanation about not displaying the MSRP beforehand.

Rod J likes this.
  12. kingfish

kingfish Screenwriter

looks like the vietnam movie jump into hell is up for preorder.

13. Camps

Camps Second Unit

Tom
    Yes! Thanks for the heads-up. This one hasn't been shown on TCM for a very long time, if ever.

Also up for pre-order are "A Fever in the Blood," an enjoyable movie starring the recently deceased Efrem Zimbalist as a judge with political ambitions, and "The Violent Road," a forgettable copy of "The Wages of Fear."

14. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Also we're getting a third remake of The Last of Mrs Cheyney titled The Law and the Lady starring Greer Garson, an early Natalie Wood/Tab Hunter vehicle called The Girl He Left Behind.

Lastly one that has been in the works since his untimely death in 2012, the Andy Griffith starring vehicle Onionhead which is also one of the few Walter Mathau starring roles yet to be on DVD.
    Just to clarify, the movie depicts (and was made during) the French phase of the Vietnam War before American involvement. In particular it is a depiction of the disastrous Battle of Dien Bien Phu. I haven't seen it, but I'm hoping it measures up to the similar war film Bataan. Those scenarios generally make pretty good cinema.

15. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I've been waiting for A Fever In The Blood for a very long time. Why? Early Angie Dickinson! And where oh where is The Bramble Bush? Long overdue.

Ken Koc likes this.
  16. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    A FEVER IN THE BLOOD. And on the heels of Efren Zimbalist Jr. passing.

17. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Not 100%, but it looks like the WAC is going to whip out a newly restored DVD of Test Pilot very soon. Looks like another Holy Grail is finally getting its due.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152449127756563

Edit: Confirmed and part of a 4 film classic Gable wave including Hell Divers, After Office Hours, and Parnell.

Also, Monogram Westerns Vol 8.

ahollis likes this.
  18. kingfish

kingfish Screenwriter

looks like one can buy the deep six individually. it is up for sale at the archives today. on another note is jump into hell in english.

19. battlebeast

battlebeast Screenwriter

Warren
    Finally!!!! TEST PILOT!!!Another best picture nominee!!! Woooottttt!!!Took them long enough...Now, if they would only release "Trader Horn" with 7th Voyage productions "Trader Horn: The journey back" starring Harry Carry Jr.

20. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Supporting Actor

Bob Gudera
    Here are seven new Warner Archive titles that are listed at importcds.com and the other Super D sites with a June 17, 2014 release date. No artwork up yet, just the titles. No mention if these are exclusive, so they all may show up sooner at WBshop.com.COUNTERFEIT PLAN-1957 Zachary Scott, Peggy CastleGUNS OF DARKNESS-1962 Leslie Caron, David NivenCLAUDELLE INGLISH-1961 Diane McBain, Will HutchinsCROOKED ROAD-1965 Robert Ryan, Stewart GrangerCHASE A CROOKED SHADOW-1958 Richard Todd, Anne BaxterSLANDER-1957 Van Johnson, Ann Blyth, Steve CochranARSENE LUPIN Double Feature: ARSENE LUPIN-1932 John and Lionel Barrymore and ARSENE LUPIN RETURNS-1938 Melvyn Douglas, Virginia Bruce, and Warren WilliamI posted this one on the TV/DVD forum and I'll mention it here too: The Super D sites are showing the western series, BRONCO: The Complete First Season with a July 29, 2014 release date.