What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (1 Viewer)

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Too Young to Kiss and High Barbaree are Allyson and Van Johnson movies . I thought they had good chemistry . The Secret Heart has Claudette Colbert . All in all a pretty interesting set . With some under the radar films . When the price is right I will bite on this set . Good news . :)

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
FrankXS said:
According to Movies Unlimited's upcoming website, a June Allyson 4 DVD-R Value Pack will be available on May 6, 2014.
The four titles are The Secret Heart, The Girl in White, Too Young to Kiss and High Barbaree. The price is $69.99. This appears to be their first "exclusive" titles since the Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy musicals from Warner Archives.
Four June Allyson films -- get out the Ipicac!!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Robin9 said:
This is the first time I have ever noticed you and I completely disagreeing! :)
Well, other favorite actresses include Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, Geraldine Page, Vanessa Redgrave and Julia Roberts so there must be someone we can agree on! :)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
In addition to the four Joan Crawfords that have already been up for pre-order, the WAC saved the best for last (figuratively) -- The Last of Mrs. Cheyney (1937) which is now up for order. So that's five new Joan Crawford films they managed to release at once. Impressive.

The last one I'm doubly thankful for because it is also one of the few unreleased MGM William Powell vehicles, and a comedy no less!

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Here's hoping they one day are able to release Joan Crawford in Letty Lynton (1932) and William Powell in Escapade (1935).

Letty Lynton has long been unavailable due to legal issues. I assume it's the same for Escapade, but I've also seen rumors that claim Warner doesn't have any material on this film, and that the only surviving copy is in the possession of Luise Rainer. Luise Rainer was Powell's co-star in Escapade; it was this movie that made her a star.

Escapade was an American remake of an Austrian film Maskerade (1934) with Paula Wessely. The Austrian film has been released on DVD in Region 2 in German.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
JoHud said:
In addition to the four Joan Crawfords that have already been up for pre-order, the WAC saved the best for last (figuratively) -- The Last of Mrs. Cheyney (1937) which is now up for order. So that's five new Joan Crawford films they managed to release at once. Impressive.

The last one I'm doubly thankful for because it is also one of the few unreleased MGM William Powell vehicles, and a comedy no less!
Yup, I've been waiting a long time for this one.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
MGM lost the story rights to the film Escapade in 1945. They reverted to the rights' owners of the original Austrian feature, Maskerade. I do not know whether any elements exist.
The elements to Letty Lynton do exist. That's all I'll say on this matter.
The Last of Mrs.Cheyney (Crawford) is a bit of a disappointment, being a remake of a 1929 Shearer vehicle (a little bit creaky at times, but very much pre-code). After the production code emasculated the story, it was not as interesting, and Crawford never had the same talent for light comedy as Shearer had, imo.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
TCM aired the newly remastered Bride Wore Red during their Star of the Month salute to Joan Crawford in January and it looked fantastic. I wish they could find a way to simultaneously get Blu-rays of these films out there, especially for Show Boat. With the HD versions of so many WB films streaming, I'm leery of purchasing anything the WAC releases on SD DVD in hopes of getting a Blu-ray down the line.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
Andrew Budgell said:
TCM aired the newly remastered Bride Wore Red during their Star of the Month salute to Joan Crawford in January and it looked fantastic. I wish they could find a way to simultaneously get Blu-rays of these films out there, especially for Show Boat. With the HD versions of so many WB films streaming, I'm leery of purchasing anything the WAC releases on SD DVD in hopes of getting a Blu-ray down the line.
TCM HD is an upconverted SD channel. It is not true HD. They upconvert old SD masters like Bride Wore Red. Warner Archives master is new and should be even better.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Green Lantern: The Animated Series (2011-2013) on Blu-ray (2 discs) is up for pre-order on amazon.com. No release date yet.

EDIT: Release date is 3/18/14 per various online sources

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Conrad_SSS said:
TCM HD is an upconverted SD channel. It is not true HD. They upconvert old SD masters like Bride Wore Red. Warner Archives master is new and should be even better.
Sorry, I should clarify my post. I realize that TCM HD isn't true HD. I was referring to the WB films that are streaming in HD on demand and on Amazon, etc. that haven't been released on Blu-ray yet. I was using The Bride Wore Red as an example of a film that looked great when I saw the new master on TCM in January (it was much better than the one TCM had been airing for years, so I'm assuming it's the new master for the DVD). My point was that I assume they simultaneously created an HD version (although I could be incorrect), so I'm leery about purchasing that film (or Show Boat, etc.) for fear of a future Blu-ray release through the Archive.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
So what happened to Week One of the big Warner Archive Sale? 5 for $50 from the first year's selections. When I clicked earlier, I couldn't bring up the list, and now the whole thing seems to have disappeared.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
PODER said:
So what happened to Week One of the big Warner Archive Sale? 5 for $50 from the first year's selections. When I clicked earlier, I couldn't bring up the list, and now the whole thing seems to have disappeared.
I have no trouble finding it.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
ahollis said:
Yeah. Lol. That is the same with me.
Seconded and thirded.

This is not to say that there's nothing there I wouldn't want once I was exposed to it. But of all the films I already know or already have an interest in knowing, I'm afraid I've mined those early batches for all they're worth ... at present.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I hit the December 5for50 and picked up ten titles. And I've done two 1st day, full price purchases recently. So this particular promotion doesn't appeal to me.I'm hoping (pipe dream) that they announce a boatload of new Blu titles for this anniversary. Ain't gonna happen, but I can wish ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks