What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (3 Viewers)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Whaaaat? They actually released the Spanish version of Free and Easy? Now there's a rarely seen Keaton film, and a real reason to double dip.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Coming on February 18. Up for pre-ordering...
Vitaphone Shemp 2.jpg

Samuel “Shemp Howard” Horowitz wrote his own rules for comedy from the very beginning. Heckling his way into brother Moe’s “rough house” act with Ted Healy, Shemp was an original Stooge. After Larry Fine filled out the team, fame beckoned, but Shemp balked at playing second banana to Healy and lit out on his own as a Vitaphone player. Shemp quickly rose from bit parts in shorts like Gobs of Fun to supporting player alongside Daphne Pollard and Harry Gribbon (and even pro baseball’s famous Dean brothers), and went on to steal the show in the Joe Palooka series based on the hit comic strip. Shemp’s character of Knobby Walsh quickly became the comedic center of the series, and Shemp emerged as a new king of comedy. Hollywood beckoned Shemp away from the east coast confine of Vitaphone out west, where he carved out a comfortable spot as a film comedian until fare and fate and family compelled him to return to his roots in The Three Stooges. Here’s to Shemp!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Brandon Conway said:
Makes me wish the movie wasn't so outright terrible...
Yeah, certainly far from his best and personally my least favorite of his MGM period. However, I'm also interested to see if the Spanish version improves on it in some facets

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
A bit disappointed to see The Year of Living Dangerously here - I was hoping for a blu-ray release.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Here's a thought, if Comcast buys TimeWarner, assuming that there are no forced divestments, both Universal and Warner would be under the same corporate umbrella. Could Universal films and tv shows come to the Warner Archive?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Comcast is only buying the Time Warner Cable, not Time Warner Inc. Since 2009, Time Warner Cable has been completely independent of the parent company with the only link being the licensing of the brand name, so there will be no change in TV show and film ownership.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
JoHud said:
Comcast is only buying the Time Warner Cable, not Time Warner Inc. Since 2009, Time Warner Cable has been completely independent of the parent company with the only link being the licensing of the brand name, so there will be no change in TV show and film ownership.
Thanks. bummer.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
That's not a bummer, that's a good thing WB films isn't attached to this (since it's only TW cable that is being bought). It's ridiculous that this deal is happening from a cable stand point.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
In one of the podcasts they talked about plans for Show Boat on Blu-ray. They wanted to to a Blu-ray box that contains all three Show Boat films, but things were moving so slowly on the the restoration of the 1951 version that they said they might just go ahead and let the 1936 and 1929 versions fall to the archive rather than wait. Looks like that is what is happening.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Matt Hough said:
I will be devastated if there isn't a Blu-ray release. After all these years, a DVD set is just not worthy enough of these films.
Yes I am very disappointed also. My hopes for a Blu-ray set is now dashed.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
A color teaser trailer is also up. Clearly the 1936 film. I suspect it will be paired with the 1929 film.

Mark-P said:
In one of the podcasts they talked about plans for Show Boat on Blu-ray. They wanted to to a Blu-ray box that contains all three Show Boat films, but things were moving so slowly on the the restoration of the 1951 version that they said they might just go ahead and let the 1936 and 1929 versions fall to the archive rather than wait. Looks like that is what is happening.
Yep, that's about the size of it. Blu-ray/DVD plans for a trilogy boxed set had been put on the backburner for so long (at least 10 years) that I'm glad something has finally emerged newly remastered, MOD or not. I also heard official word that the 1951 film had been holding it up and there had been absolutely nothing encouraging since. I figure if a blu-ray does happen, it will be for the 1951 film.

Of course there is also a very strong possibility that the 1936 and 1929 films are a little too, uh, "Old South" to risk offending on the wide retail market so they opted for the Warner Archive.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Too bad if we don't get a blu of the '36 version. Not only is it a great James Whale film, it is also the best of the film versions. I saw all 3 versions in 35mm prints in one day at MoMA, and the '51 was, at least to me, except for gorgeous Ava Gardner and Howard Keel's singing, hard to sit through. Ava's final close-up is heartbreaking.
The '36 Show Boat was Whale's last great film. He needs more recognition aside from his monster movies.
BTW, all 3 films were shown on 27 December, 1977, to commemorate the exact 50th anniversary of the opening night of the Broadway musical in 1927.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I still have the old laserdisc set of the three films (that box set offers the 1951 Show Boat in stereo; the DVD does not), and I routinely watch the 1936 and 1951 versions often. I'm not sure I've ever sat through the entire 1929 one. Might be a good idea to do that one of my off days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks