What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (2 Viewers)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
There's also 36 Hours and The Hill. However nothing that's been suggested yet particularly strikes me as a major title.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Their exact phrasing regarding how major it was is "one of the most important films in our library" and "highly regarded now, but not when it was first released"

I really can't figure this one out. None of the MGM films I can think of neatly fit the listed criteria. Night of the Iguana and A Patch of Blue were well received when they first came out. The Americanization of Emily doesn't seem to have any information, though I don't think it had either a notably poor reception upon initial release or is considered quite as highly regarded as the clue suggests.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
TWILIGHT OF HONOR?I never read anything to suggest that EMILY was a box-office disappointment. In fact, I think I read somewhere that STAR! was Julie's first film to lose money.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Well, among the "important" Warner owned post-1960 B&W films are Seven Days in May, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Days of Wine and Roses, Advise & Consent, America America, and The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.

Trouble is that none of them are MGM films and most of them were successful on release.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
New January pre-orders on the WAC site. Including Monogram Cowboys Volume 7, Fibber McGee & Molly double feature, Chinhook triple feature along with some TV series and newer titles.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ken Koc said:
Trouble is...Warner is no longer interested in releasing classic films on Blu.....
WAC as a bunch of titles for 2014. While I've been disappointed this year the talk from them should sooth it.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
It looks like theatrical animation is in WAC's courts at last. Jerry Beck mentioned Tex Avery's set on his latest appearance on Stu's Show, and that's likely the set George Feltenstein is alluding to for 2014.

That's very good news, because WHV retail has given up on all cartoons that aren't Popeye (which has the benefit of a major movie coming out)

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Mark-P said:
In Warner Archive's year-end wrap-up podcast: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/warner-archive-collection-podcast/episode/31111088?autoplay=true
they announced that next year a new WAC Blu-ray will be released of a black and white movie. They wouldn't reveal the title, but gave the following clues: It is one of the major titles of their catalog. It wasn't a success during it's theatrical release. It's an MGM picture. It was released after 1960.
Any ideas what it might be?
I'm guessing Tony Richardson's THE LOVED ONE (1965), which is airing on TCM this coming Monday night/Tuesday morning.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Charles Smith said:
Yes, it's listed on their site.

Twice, actually -- at both $9.99 and $18.95! (?)
Charles, you are correct. It has been released, but not in blu-ray. I should have been more specific, but I was replying to the previous posts regarding WAC's announcement of their next brd release. Mark Probst began this in post 4353 pasted below-

"In Warner Archive's year-end wrap-up podcast: http://www.stitcher....8?autoplay=true
they announced that next year a new WAC Blu-ray will be released of a black and white movie. They wouldn't reveal the title, but gave the following clues: It is one of the major titles of their catalog. It wasn't a success during it's theatrical release. It's an MGM picture. It was released after 1960."
Any ideas what it might be?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh, sorry I totally missed the context!

Yes, Blu-ray would be very desirable for THE LOVED ONE. I caught part of it on TCM after having gone some years since seeing it, and was blown away by how damned good it is and how much I loved it all the more, and by how great it looks in general. Yes, Blu-ray please!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Vic Pardo said:
I'm guessing Tony Richardson's THE LOVED ONE (1965), which is airing on TCM this coming Monday night/Tuesday morning.
Okay, that one's gotta be it. No question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks