What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (1 Viewer)

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
classicmovieguy said:
"Jupiter's Darling" - so have we got all the Esther Williams titles on DVD at this point?
In addition to The Hoodlum Saint (1946) and Raw Wind in Eden (1958) which is a Universal property mentioned in the post above, Andy Hardy's Double Life (1942), the cameo in Callaway Went Thataway (1951) and her last appearance in a theatrical movie with the exception of That's Entertainment! 3 (1994), the Spanish The Magic Fountain (1963) with soon-to-be husband Fernando Lamas. Who owns the rights to this and has anyone ever seen it?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Has The Big Show ever been released on DVD? I've always regarded that as Esther Williams' last real movie performance.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Robin9 said:
Has The Big Show ever been released on DVD? I've always regarded that as Esther Williams' last real movie performance.
Technically on Fox's MOD line last year, but it's another one of their specialty P&S disasters. Unless there's a widescreen release overseas, it's still MIA on DVD as far as I'm concerned.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
JoHud said:
Technically on Fox's MOD line last year, but it's another one of their specialty P&S disasters. Unless there's a widescreen release overseas, it's still MIA on DVD as far as I'm concerned.
Many thanks. I love Esther but I'm not sure I love her enough for that!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Has anyone seen the Forbidden Hollywood Vol. 7 set? The WA description says the set was remastered and I was wondering how good it looks (particularly Employees Enterance and Skyscraper Souls). Thanks!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
JoeDoakes said:
Has anyone seen the Forbidden Hollywood Vol. 7 set? The WA description says the set was remastered and I was wondering how good it looks (particularly Employees Enterance and Skyscraper Souls). Thanks!
I have the set but not watched them yet. I'll probably get into this weekend or next week. I can post some impressions then if no one beats me to it.

Moises

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moisés Chiullan
Warner Archive just "leaked" that they're adding OOP Paramount titles. I compiled the list of 13 (listed below) and the "leak" video in question here:

OOP Watch: Warner Archive Adds...Out of Print Paramount!

[*]The Naked Jungle
[*]The Miracle of Morgan's Creek
[*]Jonathan Livingston Seagull
[*]Hello Down There
[*]Brother Sun Sister Moon
[*]The Brotherhood
[*]The Molly Maguires
[*]Back to the Beach
[*]Lifeguard
[*]Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy
[*]White Dawn
[*]Anything Goes
[*]Family Jewels
[/list]
These have to just be the tip of a mountain-sized iceberg.

RLane777

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Moises said:
Warner Archive just "leaked" that they're adding OOP Paramount titles. I compiled the list of 13 (listed below) and the "leak" video in question here:

OOP Watch: Warner Archive Adds...Out of Print Paramount!

[*]The Naked Jungle
[*]The Miracle of Morgan's Creek
[*]Jonathan Livingston Seagull
[*]Hello Down There
[*]Brother Sun Sister Moon
[*]The Brotherhood
[*]The Molly Maguires
[*]Back to the Beach
[*]Lifeguard
[*]Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy
[*]White Dawn
[*]Anything Goes
[*]Family Jewels
[/list]
These have to just be the tip of a mountain-sized iceberg.
I hope they do this and you can count me in if they provide the extras from the original release.

Moises

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moisés Chiullan
RLane777 said:
I hope they do this and you can count me in if they provide the extras from the original release.
They just confirmed to me, on the record, that not only are they doing this, but that they absolutely are retaining all extras. "All of these will retain their original extras, just like the WB DVD titles we bring back into print".

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
If I recall correctly, titles like "Back To The Beach" and "Kids In The Hall: Brain Candy" didn't even have so much as a trailer, let alone any other extras. I'm guessing this is applying to the older titles only.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I would hope not, though. It'd be cool to have trailers for those movies on the Warner Archive prints.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
The DVD of LIFEGUARD had no extras, while the older VHS version had an introduction by Joan Collins.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I bought several WA titles recently from WA and ImportCDs. I received the Nick Carter Triple Feature, Key to the City, A Guy Named Joe and Cheyenne. I watched Cheyenne yesterday a 1947 western directed by Raoul Walsh with a screenplay co-written by Alan Le May, who wrote the novels The Searchers and The Unforgiven along with the screenplays of several fine westerns. Cheyenne's not a great western, but is one that entertained me.

I'm still waiting on the following WA ttitles to show up:

The Steel Trap
Never Let Me Go
Heaven with a Gun
The Mask of Dimitrios
Terror on a Train
Fast Company/Fast and Loose/Fast Furious
Right Cross

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Crawford said:
I'm still waiting on the following WA ttitles to show up:

The Steel Trap
Never Let Me Go
Heaven with a Gun
The Mask of Dimitrios
Terror on a Train
Fast Company/Fast and Loose/Fast Furious
Right Cross
The Mask Of Dimitrios is better than I expected after Warners said the elements were in bad shape. You can see why Warners delayed releasing this on disc but they've done a good job making it watchable.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robin9 said:
The Mask Of Dimitrios is better than I expected after Warners said the elements were in bad shape. You can see why Warners delayed releasing this on disc but they've done a good job making it watchable.
They used MPI a company that works with Warner on getting these titles ready for DVD and BD releases. MPI also worked on Cabaret and the James Dean films just to name a few examples of their work. Another example is A Guy Named Joe DVD that I will be viewing this week. MPI is crucial to WA and other titles being prepared for BD releases. By the way, this isn't the same MPI that released Becket on BD.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Other than likely being from a 2nd+ generation print and slight debris, I though The Mask of Dimitrios looked very good.

Titles that get delayed due to "poor elements" are delayed for a variety of reasons: Nitrate damage, missing footage, low image quality, missing or damaged sprockets, shrinkage, etc. Some are fixable with the right tools (i.e. photochemical restoration, wet-gate scanning) and some are beyond help and require alternative prints. I recall Feltenstein mentioning The Key (1934) was one of the latter cases where they're waiting to scan a quality LoC print. for future release.
Robert Crawford said:
They used MPI a company that works with Warner on getting these titles ready for DVD and BD releases. MPI also worked on Cabaret and the James Dean films just to name a few examples of their work. Another example is A Guy Named Joe DVD that I will be viewing this week.
I also have a hunch that the recent release of Jupiter's Darling is another one of those titles. MPI seems to be handling many of the long MIA higher profile WB titles like that and Red Dust.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
JoHud said:
Other than likely being from a 2nd+ generation print and slight debris, I though The Mask of Dimitrios looked very good.

Titles that get delayed due to "poor elements" are delayed for a variety of reasons: Nitrate damage, missing footage, low image quality, missing or damaged sprockets, shrinkage, etc. Some are fixable with the right tools (i.e. photochemical restoration, wet-gate scanning) and some are beyond help and require alternative prints. I recall Feltenstein mentioning The Key (1934) was one of the latter cases where they're waiting to scan a quality LoC print. for future release.

I also have a hunch that the recent release of Jupiter's Darling is another one of those titles. MPI seems to be handling many of the long MIA higher profile WB titles like that and Red Dust.
They do, as one of the best things about the HTF Meet from last year was going into MPI's facility and talking with their people and seeing some fine examples of their great work. As George Feltenstein told me, without MPI, many of these titles couldn't meet Warners specifications for release onto DVD or BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks