What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
AHEAD OF TODAY'S NEWSLETTER....

Warner Archive Collection: New Releases for 4/2/2013http://l.email-warnerbros.com/1x1.dyn?0tEGgqr-Czl2Gh2puUWXu-gxU=0
NewRelease32_02.jpg
WARNER ARCHIVE HOMENEW RELEASESBESTSELLING DVDsFORWARD TO A FRIEND
NewRelease32_04.jpg
wac-new-release-6-11_07.jpg
wac-new-release-6-11_10.jpg
THE PAINTED VEIL (1934) W. Somerset Maugham's tale of sin and redemption among the Anglos in the Far East is tailor-made for Garbo's trademark blend of sex and suffering. Also tailor-made are the eye-popping array of gowns courtesy of designer Adrian, worn as only "GARBO" can. In fact, the film's opening credits are plastered with the singular name "GARBO". But it may be Herbert Marshall's pitch-perfect portrait of English repression that is most jaw-dropping. George Brent lays on the charm as a bon vivant cultural attaché that leads Garbo's Austrian bride astray on the streets of Hong Kong. Newly remastered for the first time in 20 years, The Painted Veil makes its DVD debut! Newly Remastered
AIR FORCE (1943) Howard Hawks' aviation epic - the saga of a bomber crew's ill-starred maiden mission - is as great a war picture as they come. Dudley Nichols' screenplay is a model for writing an ensemble piece, as each crew member is fully fleshed while being forged by the fires of war. John Garfield, Arthur Kennedy, Gig Young, Harry Carey, George Tobias, James Brown and John Ridgely all serve superbly, but the bomber Mary Ann is the real star.
wac-new-release-6-11_15.jpg
WOMEN IN BONDAGE (1943) Monogram pitches in with home front patriotic propaganda and hits one out of the park with this picture of the Nazi occupation as lived by the distaff side. Gail Patrick stars as Margot Bracken, a loyal fraulein of the fatherland who returns home after a decade long absence when her country goes to war. With her husband serving in the army and a brother-in-law Nazi party bigwig, Margot finds herself drafted into the position of section leader to a Hitler Youth girl group. As she tries to instill decent values in the girls, she soon realizes her homeland had descended into a dystopian nightmare run by fanatics and cowards. Nancy Kelly plays Toni, the young maiden whose near-sighted view on romance with the SS proves the tipping point for Margot's conscience. Director Steve Sekely rings everything he can out of Monogram's more modest means and transforms b-movie coal into an uncut diamond.
BLACK MARKET BABIES (1945) The silver screen Shadow, Kane Richmond, switches sides of the law to play Eddie Condon, a gangster far down the criminal ladder. Condon seizes on a scheme to ice his way to easy street by setting up a gin-joke gang doc (Ralph Morgan, frére to wizard-brother Frank) to run the first of a planned chain of no-questions-asked large-donations-accepted maternity clinics. When fate takes a dark turn, the weakling doc may be all that stands in his way. Directed by William Beaudine with an A-squad of Monogram's B-girls - Jayne Hazard, Marjorie Hoshelle, Teala Loring and Maris Wrixon.
DON'T GAMBLE WITH STRANGERS (1946) For this slice of noir, Kane Richmond layers in some charm as a scoundrel-with-scruples cardsharp grifter out to make the big play, but forgets to watch his back. Frequent supporting player Bernadene Hayes gets a rare chance to play the lead as a lovely Queen cardshark to Richmond's Joker, while Gloria Warren plays the heiress behind a dangerous gambit. William Beaudine directs and delivers a nifty piece of noir showing that sometimes hitting all the marks is all you need to do.
wac-new-release-6-11_22.jpg
ZANDY'S BRIDE (1974) Art-house Scandinavian import Jan Troell followed up the success of The Emigrants and The New Land with this US production starring Gene Hackman and Liv Ullmann. Although a studio film, Troell continued to use his native cinema's penchant for incorporating landscape as a character and a more languid pace, both to great effect in this seldom revisited revisionist Western. Troell's use of Big Sur is some of the best use of that spectacular coast cinema has ever seen. He also wisely allows his two supremely talented leads all the space they need for this tale of two damaged souls - a gruff rancher and his mail order bride - slowly groping towards each other. Also stars Harry Dean Stanton and Susan Tyrrell. 16x9 Widescreen
THE HUMAN FACTOR (1980) Graham Greene's devastating look at the bureaucratic side of cloak and dagger is brought brilliantly to life by Otto Preminger in his final film - and his final pairing with genius title designer Saul Bass. Nicol Williamson leads the cast of UK greats including John Gielgud, Derek Jacobi, Robert Morley, and Richard Attenborough as a cold warrior trapped between the mundane and the mendacious as the "Secret Service" attempts to uncover whether or not they have a viper at the breast. But the actual viper may just be institutional arrogance. The Human Factor is must-see viewing for fans of John LeCarre or Maugham's Ashenden: The British Agent. Iman makes her film debut. 16x9 Widescreen
wac-new-release-6-11_26.jpg
NIGHT COURT: THE COMPLETE NINTH SEASON (1991 – 1992) Don the robes and fire up the chorus of "Auld Lang Synne" as we reach Night Court’s final session! The ninth season finds Judge Harry and co. rethinking their careers and companions all while Bull stumbles through the wedding china on his way to matrimonial bliss. While Harry considers a career in higher education, Christine takes a look at Congress while Dan rethinks his commitment to his primary field of interest (it’s spelled S-E-X). Meanwhile ditzy but stunning court steno Lisette (Joleen Lutz) is harboring a secret of her own, one that concerns a prominent member of the cast. And what on Earth do aliens want with Bull? Mel Torme, Gilbert Gottfried, and Stephen Root are all found among the season’s memorable guest-stars. But as the final hour airs — and the cast depart for different climes, whither Judge Harry? A 3-Disc, 22 Episode Collection. Starring Harry Anderson, Richard Moll, Charles Robinson, Marsha Warfield, Markie Post, and John Larroquette.
wac-new-release-6-11_28.jpg
Warner Archive Instant delivers hard-to-find Hollywood films & TV streamed directly to you! Pre-Codes from Warner Bros., musicals from MGM, TV MoWs from Lorimar and more, many of them available in 1080p High Definition! Start your two week free trial today!
WACNR424_29.jpg
spacer.gif

www.warnerarchive.com
---------------------------------------------------------

Courting Garbo at Night
http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/new+releases.do?adid=0611WACNRbEml&ref=EW0611B

© 2013 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
JoHud said:
Seems like there has been some delays in the WAC newsletter. Surprisingly little discussion considering this wave has one of the last unreleased Greta Garbo and Otto Preminger features.Night Court: The Complete Ninth SeasonWomen in Bondage (1943)The Painted Veil (1934)The Human Factor (1979)Black Market Babies (1945)Don’t Gamble with Strangers (1946)Zandy's Bride (1974)Air Force (1943) - Rerelease

Next week is also be interesting, with two previously unreleased Bette Davis film and Esther Williams' last unreleased film. More possibly TBA.Jupiter's Darling (1955)Front Page Woman (1935)Houdini (TV 1998)Winter Meeting (1948)Amelia Earhart: The Final Flight (TV 1994)
Thanks for the update. Jupiter's Darling is Esther Williams' last musical to be released on dvd, but Andy Hardy's Double Life (1942), The Hoodlum Saint (1946) and Callaway Went Thataway (1951) in which she made a cameo appearance, have still not been released on dvd yet to my knowledge.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
THE HUMAN FACTOR, Preminger's last film, is a worthy purchase for espionage/Graham Greene fans. While a bit better received than most of his post-1965 output it was equally unsuccessful, and difficuit to see after it vanished from cable in the early 80s. Excellent cast, absorbing, with a poignant final image given that the director spent the last five years of his life waiting for the phone to ring with another job.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I just checked the Archive Pre-order page and I was not able to find JUPTER'S DARLING. I have been after this title for a long time, so hopefully I just overlooked the listing.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Richard M S said:
I just checked the Archive Pre-order page and I was not able to find JUPTER'S DARLING. I have been after this title for a long time, so hopefully I just overlooked the listing.
Not up for preorder yet, but was confirmed via their Facebook account after news of Esther Williams' passing:
By a sad coincidence Jupiter's Darling will be arriving 6/18. We just recorded the podcast for it yesterday.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
More interesting news regarding Jupiter's Darling via Facebook:
A new layback from the original magnetic sources was used for the stereo audio, and the deleted I HAD A DREAM sequence which appeared on the laserdisc, is also included on the forthcoming DVD.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
WAC said in their most recent podcast that more Andy Hardy films as well as MITCHELL (1975) are coming soon.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I keep praying and hoping for more box sets of MGM Shorts.
James Fitzpatrick, Passing Parade, Carey Wilson, Pete Smith, Romance of Celluloid and lots more Musical's.

Doug.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Did WA ever release those Nick Carter films? TCM was playing Sky Murder the other day and it looked very good in upconverted HD.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
That one set is back up on the site. And i believe someone commented on facebook and they informed them they were shipping out replacements for those that had got the defective ones.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
MattPriceTime said:
That one set is back up on the site. And i believe someone commented on facebook and they informed them they were shipping out replacements for those that had got the defective ones.
Thank you for the quick response.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
MattPriceTime said:
I have received the replacement set and the three films look great.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm contemplating buying some WA titles, but I might hold off until the 4th of July sale. My wishlist is getting longer, but some of those titles aren't available at a discounted price in this current sale.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Robert Crawford said:
I'm contemplating buying some WA titles, but I might hold off until the 4th of July sale. My wishlist is getting longer, but some of those titles aren't available at a discounted price in this current sale.
I had the same problem with their most recent 5 for $50 sale. I had four titles from the list, but the fifth title I added wasn't in the list and the discount wouldn't kick in. Maybe next time....

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
This sale was good for me. The two items i wanted were both on sale, so i could get them both. But i know the agonnnnnyy (full Into the Woods reference for faux dread there), of waiting for a sale and then seeing the sale type isn't the one you want. But the silver lining being they do enough of them throughout the year that it's not like we wait for months on end for the next one.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Warner Archive Collection: New Releases for 6/18/2013http://l.email-warnerbros.com/1x1.dyn?0mEGgqr-CzlCGh2plUZT1-gxU=0
NewRelease32_02.jpg
WARNER ARCHIVE HOMENEW RELEASESBESTSELLING DVDsFORWARD TO A FRIEND
NewRelease32_04.jpg
wac-new-release-6-18_03.jpg
wac-new-release-6-18_07.jpg
JUPITER’S DARLING (1955) While we mourn her passing, we celebrate Esther Williams enchanting motion picture career and are pleased to bring Jupiter’s Darling to the public in a sparkling newly remastered edition. Based on Road to Rome, a Plautine pastiche originally penned by the great Robert Sherwood, Jupiter’s Darling is a sly musical comedy send-up of widescreen epics AND Roman satires set amidst the second Punic war. Williams stars as Amazonian adventuress Amytis, whose roving spirit sends her to the arms of Hannibal (Pagan Love Song co-star Howard Keel) outside the elephant besieged gates of republican Rome. George Sidney directs and matched dancing pair Marge and Gower Champion join Esther in making their final MGM film. Oh, and watch George Sanders (as Dictator Fabius Maximus) croon a tune. 16x9 Widescreen and Newly Remastered MARINE BOY: THE COMPETE FIRST SEASON (1966-67) The original American anime classic is back, at last! Produced in Japan but intended for first-run syndication in the US, Marine Boy was one of the first color cartoons to come from Japan, sharing the little screen with the likes of Kimba the White Lion and Speed Racer (with whom it shares a number of voice actors). Teenage Marine Boy battles evil on and under the seas on behalf of the Ocean Patrol, aided by the amazing inventions of his father, Dr. Mariner and the brilliant Professor Fumble. Joining Marine Boy in his mission are his white dolphin, Splasher, young mermaid friend Neptina, and fellow Ocean Patrol agents Bullton and Piper. Adding complication to the mission are the efforts of CliCli to prove himself a miniature Marine Boy. So break out your Oxy-Gum and get ready to dive into his amazing aquatic animated adventures. Newly Remastered
wac-new-release-6-18_14.jpg
FRONT PAGE WOMAN (1935) Michael Curtiz directs this adaptation of Richard Macauley’s Women Are Bum Newspapermen starring frequent screen pair Bette Davis and George Brent. Decidedly riffing on the milieu of Hecht and MacArthur’s The Front Page, this clash of news hen and newsmen plays out as a sparkling mid-step in the genre’s ascension to the unparalleled heights of His Girl Friday. Davis and Brent play quip-lipped journos for opposing rags that enter into a wager — if he shows her up as a bum newspaperman, she shows up as his bride and quits the biz. Newly Remastered WINTER MEETING (1948) Bette stars as a repressed socialite spinster, the aptly-named Susan Grieve, in this adaptation of the novel by Grace Zaring Stone (Bitter Tea of General Yen, Escape) under her Ethel Vance pseudonym. Ms. Grieve’s equilibrium is knocked askew when her supercilious compadre (a pitch-perfect John Hoyt) asks her to fill out a foursome for dinner with his lovely secretary (Janis Paige) and a visiting WWII Medal of Honor winner (Jim Davis). When the vet, Slick Novak, picks sweet Sue over the secretary, Ms. Grieve finds herself swept off to Connecticut for some confessions and a most unique romantic triangle. Newly Remastered
wac-new-release-6-18_22.jpg
THE LOST CAPONE (1990) True-life crime fighter Two-Gun Hart harbored a most unusual secret — in reality he was James Vincenzo Capone, sibling to Scarface himself, Al Capone. His life provides the basis for this high caliber TNT original. John Gray writes and directs a top-notch cast that includes Adrian Pasdar (Heroes), Titus Welliver (Lost), Ally Sheedy and a blistering Eric Roberts as Al Capone. The Wild West takes on Chicago’s worst as cowboys and Indians battle gangsters out on the plains, with few suspecting that the two sides are tied by blood. SPYMAKER: THE SECRET LIFE OF IAN FLEMING (1990) Ian Fleming’s real-life spy ventures are the springboard for Spymaker, as Fleming’s life is re-imagined through the prism of his famous creation, superspy James Bond. The seemingly stunt casting of Jason Connery, Sean’s son, pays off in spades as he fills out a tux and lays on the charm in suitable Bond style. Full of clever twists and call outs, the film builds from bedrooms and baccarat to a climax that mixes the spectacular (an assault on an impregnable Nazi aerie) and the tragic — all recognizable elements to be found in the Bond books and films. Ferdinand Fairfax directs, David Warner and Kristin Scott Thomas co-star. AMELIA EARHART: THE FINAL FLIGHT (1994) In this telepic, Diane Keaton — the embodiment of Seventies liberated woman — dons the flight pants of an earlier era’s embodiment of women’s lib, Amelia Earhart. Recounting the events leading up to — and imagining the moments of — Earhart’s fateful final 1939 flight, Keaton ably pilots the material alongside a flight crew of acting’s finest airmen, including Bruce Dern as Amelia’s publisher hubby G.P. Putnam, Rutger Hauer as navigator Frank Noonan and Paul Guilfoyle as master mechanic Paul Mantz. Directed by Yves Simoneau. HOUDINI (1998) Johnathon Schaech dons the manacles of the miraculous master escape artist Harry Houdini, nee Erik Weisz. This biopic wraps Houdini’s life story and his rise from the streets to the stage, screen and superstardom with a most unusual spectral frame. Writer-director Pen Densham also peppers the proceedings with a cast of eye-poppers, including Stacy Edwards, Paul Sorvino, Rhea Perlman, David Warner, Grace Zabriskie, George Segal, Emile Hirsch and a non-smash Mark Ruffalo.
wac-new-release-6-18_31.jpg
What’s new to Warner Archive Instant? Check out our selection of hundreds of rare and hard-to-find movies and TV shows, direct from the studio vaults. We’ve recently added a number of films from our library like Blonde Crazy (1931), Heroes for Sale (1933), Power (1986) and The Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner Movie (1979). Try it Free for 2 weeks!
honor.jpg
The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films 39th Annual Saturn Awards are nigh upon us — and we’ve been nominated! Shazam!: The Complete Live-Action Series is up for Best DVD/BD TV Series, and it’s an honor to share that nod with some pretty spiffy competition. Stay tuned for our ceremony coverage coming live on Twitter (@warnerarchive) June 26th!
WACNR424_29.jpg

www.warnerarchive.com

There’s Nothing Punic About This Musical
http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/new+releases.do?adid=0618WACNRcEml&ref=EW0618C

© 2013 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
classicmovieguy said:
"Jupiter's Darling" - so have we got all the Esther Williams titles on DVD at this point?
We're still missing at least two titles: The Hoodlum Saint (1946) with William Powell, Raw Wind In Eden (1958) with Jeff Chandler.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks