What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (1 Viewer)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
RE: the archive doing The Colbys. I'm not exactly sure who owns the rights to either this series or the last three seasons of Dynasty since the Paramount sell off/loan out to Warner Bros. With so many catalogue titles swapping hands its hard to say who will do the honors. I'm just going to go on record as saying I am NOT a fan of WB's vintage TV output. Look at the transfers on Dallas and compare them with the ones done by CBS/Paramount for Dynasty. Okay, neither was perfect. But CBS/Paramount at least had the good sense to do remasters and clean up a lot of age related artifacts and do some color correction on seasons 2-6. Dallas looks like it's original elements were fed through a meat grinder. The first 5 seasons suffer from severe color fading to varying degrees. The palette looks very blue/beige with the occasional orange or piggy pink flesh tone. Not good. And I don't think you'll find anyone celebrating over the first two seasons of Falcon Crest - the first minted on DVD the other going the way of the DVD-R route on the archive. Those transfers were horrendous with chroma bleeding, poor contrast, color fading and a ton of age related artifacts. Let's put it this way. TV on DVD has had one of the worst records for consistency. I can't watch Shout! Factory's Designing Women, or Universal's Murder She Wrote seasons 7-finale, or the Fox's last season of Remington Steele, or Paramount's Father Dowling Mysteries. The list goes on and on. What we really should be seeing is more stellar work like WB's recent Friends Blu-ray box set. But let's be honest. Mastering hundreds of television episodes per series isn't going to happen from the majors. They're money's spread too thin elsewhere and on more lucrative ventures. Is that fair? No! Does it break my heart? Absolutely. What I'd like to see is the majors turn over their original elements to TV series to an independent contractor - a body established by say a joint venture between the AFI, AMPAS and the Film Foundation or there likes who would be committed to doing one - yes, one - series in its entirety per year. Spend whatever's needed from a pool of money raised by these organizations, private collectors donations, fund raisers and so on and do the series in question right. Ground up digital restorations suitable for the hi-def market. Will it take a long time? You bet. Is it worth it? Well, you can't put a price on art, and television regardless of its vintage has yielded a goodly sum of series and mini-series that deserve better. Who here wouldn't like to see The Thornbirds or North and South restored and in hi-def?

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
Dave B Ferris said:
The answer most commonly given is that pressed discs look completely "silvery", while burned disks have a distinct "purplish" tint. I ordered the W&W set today; hoping for pressed discs.
Just got the WandW set today, a couple of days early. The discs do have a sort of purplish tint, so I guess they are burned. Four discs in the set, 2 films on disc 1, 3 on discs 2 and 3, and 1 on disc 4.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Nick*Z said:
RE: the archive doing The Colbys. I'm not exactly sure who owns the rights to either this series or the last three seasons of Dynasty since the Paramount sell off/loan out to Warner Bros.
All TV shows that were originally produced by Paramount TV, or were owned by Paramount TV, like Desilu product such as the Untouchables, or the Spelling Productions like Dynasty, went to CBS when Viacom split into two companies, Viacom and CBS Inc. . Paramount Home Video still releases CBS properties. These were not leased to Warner Bros.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Where is Andy Hardy volume 2??? I thought I heard later this year a release was coming. I would love to see the Cardinal released in Blu-ray and word on thaf?

SergioM

Auditioning
Real Name
Sergio Mims
If i had to guess I'll bet that Warner Archive will be eventually releasing other older Warner titles that were released in the early days of DVDs in pan and scan versions. Fearless was one and I wouldn't be surprised if Sharkey's Machine, Clean and Sober and Dead Bang will get the Warner Archive bu-ray treatment

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Mark Collins said:
Where is Andy Hardy volume 2???
I asked about Andy Hardy titles on the WAC Facebook page got the answer that they are working on them. I also asked about the Bomba titles and they said soon.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
AHEAD OF TODAY'S ANNOUNCEMENT....
NewRelease32_02.jpg
WARNER ARCHIVE HOMENEW RELEASESBESTSELLING DVDsFORWARD TO A FRIEND
NewRelease32_04.jpg
wac-new-release-3-5_03.jpg
wac-new-release-3-5_07.jpg
CHEYENNE (1947) This edgy noir-flavored crime rand cowboy saga, directed by the great Raoul Walsh, has been overlooked thanks to a retitling to The Wyoming Kid made over concern about confusion with the Big Man’s TV show Cheyenne. Dennis Morgan tops a cast of top notch talent playing a con-man gambler coerced into serving as Wells Fargo’s catspaw in their quest to catch the elusive safe cracker, “The Poet.” The card shark soon finds caught between The Poet’s schemes and The Sundance Kid, while dancing a double duet with a pair of femme fatales (Jane Wyman and Janis Paige). Also stars Arthur Kennedy and Alan Hale. NEWLY REMASTERED HEAVEN WITH A GUN (1969) Glenn Ford, much like Gary Cooper a decade before in The Hanging Tree, straddles the Westerns’ past and its post-modern present with a film that plays to its oats while stepping in time with the times. Last of the old school Cowboy stars, Ford plays a gunfighter that’s found God, but hasn’t yet put away his guns. Setting up pastorage in a settlement on the verge of exploding into range war between the wealthy cattlemen led by Asa Beck (John Anderson) and the hard scrabble shepherds who have come in search of a chance at salvation, Pastor Jim faces demons from his past and present. This terrific ensemble includes Carolyn Jones, David Carradine, Noah Beery, Jr. and Barbara Hershey. NEWLY REMASTERED THE RISING OF THE MOON (1957) For this film, director John Ford was not painting the West in unforgettable pieces of cinema but proudly sharing the love of his Irish roots in this humble trilogy of tales shot on location on the Emerald Isle. Using a bevy of the enchanted island’s local talent, Ford pens a love letter to Eire that’s perfect for Saint Patrick’s Day or any other day you’re feeling green. The first tale, “The Majesty of the Law”, based on a short story by Frank O’Connor, is a character sketch with a subtle turn by Cyril Cusack as a policeman with a burdensome message. The next tale, “A Minute’s Wait”, based on a 1914 one-act comedy by Martin J. McHugh, is a rollicking piece taking place within the confines of a one-minute stop at an Irish waystation — bear in mind that it’s an Irish minute… Finally, 1921, based on the play “The Rising of the Moon” by Lady Gregory, combines drama, comedy, and suspense in the tale of a convicted political criminal’s daring escape from execution. Tyrone Power narrates and hosts. MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION VOLUME 5: STARRING JOHNNY MACK BROWN Johnny Mack Brown and Raymond Hatton ride in as US Marshals Nevada Jack MacKenzie and Sandy Hopkins, ready to deliver steely justice to the criminal predators of the plains, in seven of their thrilling sixgun sagas. And to add some savor to your platter, JMB saddles up in a bonus pair of classics as ex-Confederate Captain turned Fed, Johnny Brownell, in Raiders of the South and as “Johnny Mack Brown” in Canyon Ambush! Set includes: The Texas Kid (1943) Partners of the Trail (1944) Law Men (1944)Ghost Guns (1944) with Evelyn Finley, Gun Smoke (1945) with Jennifer Holt,Frontier Feud (1945) with Dennis Moore and Christine McIntyre, Border Bandits(1946) with Riley Hill and Rosa Del Rosario, Raiders of the South (1947) with Raymond Hatton in a non-Sandy Hopkins role, as well as Evelyn Brent and Canyon Ambush (1952) with Phyllis Coates. CHEYENNE: THE COMPLETE FIFTH SEASON (1960-61) In its smash fifth season, Cheyenne hit the TV trail as a slick saddlebum sagebrush saga. Under the stewardship of legendary exec, William T. Orr and breakout superstar “Big Man” Clint Walker, Cheyenne set the tone for a decade of TV Westerns to come. In a season full of surprises, season 5 serves up a sensational cross-over episode, where “Duel at Judas Basin” sees Cheyenne Bodie joining forces with Tom “Sugarfoot” Brewster (Will Hutchins) in order to save Bronco (Ty Hardin) from a fiendish crook. Other stops along the range include a return to Cheyenne’s hometown, a fugitive run to Mexico, and an imperiled ranch defended by Bill the Kid (Ray Stricklyn). Notable guests include Alan Hale Jr., Dawn Wells, Max Baer, Stacy Keach and Western B-Movie legend Allan “Rocky” Lane! 13 episodes, 4-Disc Collection.
WACNR424_29.jpg
spacer.gif
WAC_NR522_21.jpg

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
The above announcement reminds me of something I've always wondered...was the 1947 movie CHEYENNE the basis for the later TV series? I've seen the movie--a long time ago--and have recently seen episodes of "Cheyenne," but I don't recall the movie enough to note whether there's a connection or not. Anyone?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Vic Pardo
The above announcement reminds me of something I've always wondered...was the 1947 movie CHEYENNE the basis for the later TV series? I've seen the movie--a long time ago--and have recently seen episodes of "Cheyenne," but I don't recall the movie enough to note whether there's a connection or not. Anyone?
No connection! Cheyenne was the name of Clint Walker's character in the TV series. The movie title is the town's name in the film.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robert Crawford said:
No connection!  Cheyenne was the name of Clint Walker's character in the TV series.  The movie title is the town's name in the film.
I believe they even retitled the picture when sold to TV so as not to confuse viewers with the TV show.

John Pannozzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Francis Pannozzi
Am I the only one who is befuddled and disappointed that after all this time, they still haven't released Ralph Bakshi's Hey Good Lookin? Likewise, I really want them to release Bakshi's short-lived HBO series Spicy City (which only lasted six half-hour episodes, so it could fit on one or maybe two discs).

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Each Tuesday or Wednesday I visit the Warner Archive site anxiously and nervously awaiting for the announcement of more Short Subject box sets. I'm desperate for more Vitaphone Musicals, Pete Smith Specialties, Fitzpatrick Travelogues, Passing Parades, Carey Wilson Minatures and any of the many beautiful MGM and Warner Technicolored musical shorts made over the years. Warner are now handling Paramount product. Do they have access to any of the old Paramount shorts or are they owned by Universal? There are many treasures featuring most of Paramount's top stars of the 30s. Many years later after leaving MGM, James Fitzpatrick made several beautiful Vista Vision shorts at Paramount in the 50s. I would dearly love to see them again. Am I alone?
38b25aec_liberty.jpeg
b1ffed67_goodmorningeve.jpeg
c5de5597_passingparade.jpeg
808c01d2_starsbegin.jpeg

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
revgen said:
All Paramount films released before 1948 belong to Universal.
Essentially true, although I believe Paramount still owns what's left of their silent films, and a handful of sound films that were sold off for remakes Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, 1931, and I think they kept Sturges' THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK probably because of their later remake with Jerry Lewis.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Correct John, MCA did not purchase the silent Paramount titles since they would be hard to sell to TV. Paramount pretty much let the copyrights expire as did Universal on their silents. The original THE BUCCANEER was also kept in anticipation of a remake which happened.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
NewRelease32_02.jpg
WARNER ARCHIVE HOMENEW RELEASESBESTSELLING DVDsFORWARD TO A FRIEND
NewRelease32_04.jpg
wac-new-release-3-12_03.jpg
wac-new-release-3-12_07.jpg
POLLY OF THE CIRCUS (1932) Gable dons the collar of the cleric to lend rectitude and desire to this Marion Davies showpiece about a circus girl who falls on the wrong side of the tracks. After falling from the trapeze, the recuperating Polly (Davies) falls for the Reverend and tries to trade in her form-fitting togs for the drapes of a society matron. But the closed minds of small towns and religious scorn threaten to dash their dreams. Gable might have been cast against type, but he still delivers the goods while Davies delights. Future Johnny Mack Brown sidekick Raymond Hatton is arresting as Downey, a scabrous, close-mouthed ex-dyspeptic one draft of dust away from a draught. The prolific Alfred Santell helms while Ms. Davies produces. NEWLY REMASTERED KEY TO THE CITY (1950) The screen still smolders with Clark Gable and Loretta Young reunited fifteen years after being paired in The Call of the Wild. The sly and the slapstick in this sex and politics satire combine in a fizzy mix which finds two middle aged, single mayors meeting cute at a mayor’s convention in San Francisco. Gable is a two-fisted longshoreman turned politico, while Young is a Harvard gal turned small Maine town mayoress. A top-tier team lends their support, including Frank Morgan, Raymond Burr, Lewis Stone and Pamela Britton. But all eyes remain fixed on the main attraction, Gable and Young. George Sidney directs. NEWLY REMASTERED NEVER LET ME GO (1953) Men’s Adventure and May-December romance sets sail straight into the soul-freezing chills of the Cold War in this amour-actioner shot overseas in Cornwall as part of Gable’s extended continental acting sojourn (which also includedMogambo and Betrayed). Delmer Daves directs this tale of a Moscow based WWII correspondent (Gable) whose world is turned upside down following his Victory Day discovery that the ballerina of his dreams (Tierney) dreams of him, too. With the Iron Curtain coming down between them, the lovers’ fate lies in the wiles of an old sea salt — provided the typewriter jockey can learn to master a schooner — and hold his vodka. Also stars Bernard Miles, Richard Haydn, Belita, and Kenneth More. NEWLY REMASTERED
wac-new-release-3-12_12.jpg
SAVING FACE (2012) Winner of the 2012 Oscar® for Best Documentary Short. Saving Face tells the stories of two Pakistani “acid attack” victims: Zakia, a 39-year old whose husband threw acid on her after she filed for divorce, and Rukhsana, a 25-year-old whose husband and in-laws threw acid and gasoline on her, then set her on fire. Charting the arduous attempts to bring their assailants to justice, the film also follows plastic surgeon Dr. Mohammad Jawad, who put his London practice on hold to return to his home country to help Zakia, Rukhsana and other victims. A powerful look inside Pakistani society, Saving Face illuminates each woman’s personal journey while depicting the efforts of reformers to end this practice.
wac-new-release-3-12_14.jpg
HELP! IT’S THE HAIR BEAR BUNCH!: THE COMPLETE ANIMATED SERIES (1971) In the Wonderland Zoo there are the certain bears who stay at home every night and never quarrel or fight, aw, they don’t even bite! So don’t yell “Help! Help!”, it’s the Hair Bear Bunch! Yep — it’s the heppest, savviest and silliest ursines to ever crash out of a zoo, Hair, Square and Bubi Bear. Their bear cave transforms from stone and straw to a swinging, scientific bachelor bear pad at the touch of a button — and that’s just the tip of the iceberg! Quick-talking Hair (voiced by Daws Butler), befuddling curlicue talker Bubi (voiced by Paul Winchell) and master of the invisible motorcycle, the zen-drawling Square Bear (voiced by William Callaway) are more than a match for their “keepers” Mr. Peevly (voiced by John Stephenson) and Botch (voiced by Joe E. Ross) — with or without the other delightful denizens of Wonderland Zoo, who are always ready to help the Bears in their bigger-than-the-zoo schemes. This two-disc, 16 episode collection contains all the mod bears madcap extra-zoohicular adventures. NEWLY REMASTERED.
wac-new-release-3-12_20.jpg
New York! TONIGHT at 7:30! See Richard Barthelmess in the under-appreciated pre-code classic, ALIAS, THE DOCTOR (1932) at the BAMcinématek on a double bill withThe Mad Genius (1931) part of the Tuesdays with Elliott series. Co-presented by the Warner Archive Collection. More Info and Tix
WACNR424_29.jpg
spacer.gif
WAC_NR522_21.jpg

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I wish someday we could get the Paramount BULLDOG DRUMMOND series with John Howard (and Ray Milland in the initial entry). They are moody and fast moving. I have them from DVD or VHS and they all have the Paramount logos removed and look just okay, at best. They must of been sold off for television early on and I wonder if they could even be restored with the original credits/logos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks